There are 165 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

SI's 10 worst superbowls of all time

Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Originally posted by lamontb:
makes sense b/c if you weren't a niners fan you probably turned those games off at halftime.

And if you were a fan....you were extremely upset that Denver squeaked in that last minute td, it was almost like we lost.

Yea I couldn't stand Elway. I remember all my cousins went to go play tecmo bowl. I was the only person still watching the game by myself.

The Chargers game was just a thing of beauty.

Ahh, Tecmo Bowl was the bomb!! I always played with the 49ers and killed my brothers in that game.

Dan
49ers Fan in NC
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1002/nfl.worst.super.bowls.ever/content.1.html

Good news! 49ers own 2 of them, one of which is the top spot. I think most of you would agree, owning the worst Superbowl of all time is an incredible honor!

I think the folks in Denver would disagree with your assessment
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Originally posted by lamontb:
makes sense b/c if you weren't a niners fan you probably turned those games off at halftime.

And if you were a fan....you were extremely upset that Denver squeaked in that last minute td, it was almost like we lost.

I know I was. I also remember the NFL Films recap when Jim Burt went beserk after Elway ran in for that TD.

How the NFL Network or whoever is responsible for the Top 20 teams of all time ranked the '85 Bears ahead of that '89 team is beyond me. I can accept the '78 Steelers and even the 72 Dolphins, but this team would've destroyed the Bears.

[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Feb 5, 2011 at 10:29:33 ]
Originally posted by InfiniteEight:
I'm sorry but this whole thing just sounds stupid. 10 worst Super Bowls? That's nearly 25% of all Super Bowls. Not much to choose from.

And all they did was grab ones that had lopsided ending scores. And the only close one had quite a few turnovers, but, to me, that would be more interesting since it kept the game close making the game end on a winning field goal.

And one of the games had the first winning African-American QB? Maybe it wasn't meant to be, but that sounds hella racist being one of the worst Super Bowls.

Yes I am sure the ONLY reason they picked that game was because it had the first winning black QB. Weird, why isn't the Steelers win on there? I mean Tomlin became the youngest coach to ever win one and he's black!
Originally posted by linkboy:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by SF4EVA:
Originally posted by darkknight49:

That pic gotta be fake. joe never jumped that high in his life

You can tell his left foot is touching the ground lol. it is totally photoshoped

This magazine is from 1990. Photoshop didn't exist, and that looks way too clean to be an edited picture from that period of time. We were winning the super bowl. lol Jesse Sapolu probably could've jumped that high on that day.

Also, Guy McIntyre is standing on his toes to reach joes high five. That would make no sense if Joe was supposedly on the ground.

but who jumps like that????

Joe's already reached the apex of his jump, when the picture was taken, he was coming back down to the ground.

That aint "JOE COOL" that dudes legs too big.
Originally posted by susweel:
For me those two were the best.

Yeah, from our perspective those were great. I guess I can see their point from a national outlook though.
Originally posted by quatic:
that '89 team DOMINATED every aspect of the game during their post season run!

and yet SN did not considered that '89 team as one of the best team in NFL history!

what a joke?!...

East Coast bias....plain and simple. Most of their readers are East Coast fans, so they will naturally tilt their bias towards East Coast team above all else.

And who the f cares about yet another list of their opinions?

It's a terrible SB game if it's a dominant performance and a lopsided blowout? Okay. I hope for terrible SB games if the Niners ever make it back.
They were right about the Baltimore-New York SB though. That one was one of the few I just skipped altogether.
Originally posted by kray28:
They were right about the Baltimore-New York SB though. That one was one of the few I just skipped altogether.

They were, but this was a lazily done list. A blowout in and of itself doesn't make a bad game. Certain blowots are exciting, like that Redskins-Denver game or 49ers-Chargers, whereas others like Baltimore-NY are a snooze fest.

I would put Super Bowl 40 on that list with the Steelers and Seahawks on the list. The only thing that stands out is Rande-El's TD pass and the bad calls against Seattle. New England and Carolina would have made my list if it wasn't for the 4th quarter. I didn't care much for the Colts SB win in the rain against the Bears.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by kray28:
They were right about the Baltimore-New York SB though. That one was one of the few I just skipped altogether.

They were, but this was a lazily done list. A blowout in and of itself doesn't make a bad game. Certain blowots are exciting, like that Redskins-Denver game or 49ers-Chargers, whereas others like Baltimore-NY are a snooze fest.

I would put Super Bowl 40 on that list with the Steelers and Seahawks on the list. The only thing that stands out is Rande-El's TD pass and the bad calls against Seattle. New England and Carolina would have made my list if it wasn't for the 4th quarter. I didn't care much for the Colts SB win in the rain against the Bears.

steelers/seahawks game also featured the longest rush in super bowl history by willie parker, some questionable calls against seattle but they allowed too many explosive plays to win that game
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Originally posted by InfiniteEight:
I'm sorry but this whole thing just sounds stupid. 10 worst Super Bowls? That's nearly 25% of all Super Bowls. Not much to choose from.

And all they did was grab ones that had lopsided ending scores. And the only close one had quite a few turnovers, but, to me, that would be more interesting since it kept the game close making the game end on a winning field goal.

And one of the games had the first winning African-American QB? Maybe it wasn't meant to be, but that sounds hella racist being one of the worst Super Bowls.

Yes I am sure the ONLY reason they picked that game was because it had the first winning black QB. Weird, why isn't the Steelers win on there? I mean Tomlin became the youngest coach to ever win one and he's black!

Dude, seriously? right back at you.. I never said that it was intended cuz he was African-American.. I never saw the game so I wouldn't know.. English had said he had a ho-hum second half so it makes sense now..

The only reason I brought it up is because he was the first African-African to win a Super Bowl.. I just didn't understand at first why it was considered one of the worst when he created a historical fact as to becoming the first African-American Super Bowl winning QB..
Any super bowl won by the 9ers is in the top five, not the bottom 10!
props to Terry Bradshaw, before the game he called a blowout and said the score could be 55 to 5!! That was one awesome call and he came very close. BTW Joe could jump high and also was a good basketball player.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
lmao I forgot that was Wade Phillips defense, best D in the league that year I think.

I effing hate the Broncos. That game was a joke. There was never ownage like that in a Superbowl.

3 out of our 5 Superbowls can be considered blowouts, that one was just the worst. Ever.


A found a bunch of newspaper articles from days before that game in a box of junk while cleaning up a few years ago. Some talked about how the Broncos could shut Montana down. Some talked about how Elway was a better QB. I bet the authors of those articles would have liked them to stay buried forever.
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
lmao I forgot that was Wade Phillips defense, best D in the league that year I think.

I effing hate the Broncos. That game was a joke. There was never ownage like that in a Superbowl.

3 out of our 5 Superbowls can be considered blowouts, that one was just the worst. Ever.


A found a bunch of newspaper articles from days before that game in a box of junk while cleaning up a few years ago. Some talked about how the Broncos could shut Montana down. Some talked about how Elway was a better QB. I bet the authors of those articles would have liked them to stay buried forever.

If you have a scanner, you should do a high quality scan of some of those articles and post them online somewhere. It would serve the article writer's right and would be hilarious to view and read.