LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 431 users in the forums

Timemachine: Montana or Young?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Timemachine: Montana or Young?

Montana.

Not. Even. Close.

(Young was great, but he was no Joe Cool.)
  • dald1
  • Veteran
growing up more in the steve young era made me love him and the whole team they had however, this question is essentially asking, which would u like more 4 more superbowls or one? ill go with montana on this one.
If using a rating scale of 1 - 10, were 1 is absolutely horrible (David Carr) and 10 is great (fill in your own blank).

Young would be about a 9, along with guys like Kelly, Marino, Aikman etc.

Montana would be about a 12, in a class all by himself.
Originally posted by DaManRathman:
Anyone who votes Young must not have seen Montana play much, if at all.

Montana all the way.

I watched both. There is no question that Montana was the better leader and clutch...but Steve was the more physically gifted of the two.

In today's 9er organization, I just think that Steve performs better.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Originally posted by BobS:
I enjoyed watching Steve play more than Joe, and after their careers ended I preferred Steve the person much better than Joe. I will vote for Steve.

x8

Ditto...
Watching Montana was like watching a great surgeon, watching Young was like watching a great racehorse. Joe was fluid, smooth, few unnecessary motions; while Steve was like a frantic, crazy, super athletic guy who was incredibly driven. Montana had plays that I had to watch again just to figure out what he did, Steve had plays I had to watch again to be sure I had seen what I had seen.

How very lucky to be a fan of the 9ers!
Montana definately. Young could never stay cool when it counted vs GB. He never had Joe's poise which imo kept us from having 7 Lombardis. With Montana no matter how far behind you always felt like he could carry the team back to win. Im pretty sure Montana has the most 4th qtr comebacks of any QB in th NFL. The leadership and accuracy Montana displayed was amazing. Its the kind of play that imo we wont ever see again.
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by msallaz51:
Originally posted by GlenCoffeesNuts:
Young made things happen with his incredible tools such as his quick feet and strong arm. Joe made it happen with magic. My vote is for Joe.

Joe could make reads faster, react quicker and was more accurate. The most impressive thing Joe did was to lead a team of nobodies in '81' to the superbowl. He was later blessed with for talent to win his other 3.

The biggest thing is playing under pressure. Steve was horrible when the game was on the line and the stakes were highest, Joe was at his best. If you look at Steve's biggest wins, the 2 against Dallas in 94 and the SB, at no point was there any doubt, the Niners controlled from the outset so he was loose and played well. now once he won the SB that changed a little, but before he was always tight and threw crucial INTs at the worst time.

All of this.

Some people, I guess, forget how much Young choked... especially when he first became a starter for the 49ers. Not that he wasn't great, eventually.

Joe Montana was just on a whole other level.

I have to agree. Love Steve but he closed the deal just once, Joe 4 times.
[]
I would probably take both, one right after the other

Like many others I have the pleasure of having watched both. In terms of playing at the top of their game both guys are equal Montana in '84 and '89. Young in '94.

A lot of people would pick Joe, including myself, because Joe has this 'aura' of confidence that people believed he could bring the team late in the game to get a win. And in some of the biggest games. Of course it's unrealistic, he can't do it all the time and not all the big games, but he seems to do it more than any qb. To have people all over watching him and believing is magical. It's unfair to any other qb, but that sets Montana apart.

[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Feb 3, 2011 at 04:52:21 ]
I would go with Young. I know Montana is great and he won 4 Super Bowls but he also had the great Walsh and I think a better defense than Young had. Not only that, but the Cowboys were a dynasty in the 90's for a reason and were probably the toughest competition the 49ers had to deal with in their 20 year reign.
Originally posted by matt49er:
It's the offseason and we have a long time until the draft and probably FA. A friend of mine posed a question to me that I'm having trouble answering.

For arguments sake if you could bring Joe Montana or Steve Young in the prime of their careers to this current 49er team to take over as our new QB next season whom would you choose?

Taking into account the current personnel of the team, today's NFL and who you think would fair better with today's 49er team not who you believe was the better NFL QB in their respective careers.

After alot of thought I still can't definitevely say which HOF QB I would want to add to this squad. Both were great QBs and had wonderful careers.

Right now I'm leaning toward Steve Young today's NFL requires a mobile QB that can get out of trouble and being able to run the ball yourself is a huge plus in today's game. Young would be a super version of Micael Vick, way more accurate and while a little slower still very deadly with his feet.

Thoughts?

I would have to vote Joe.
Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by msallaz51:
Originally posted by GlenCoffeesNuts:
Young made things happen with his incredible tools such as his quick feet and strong arm. Joe made it happen with magic. My vote is for Joe.

Joe could make reads faster, react quicker and was more accurate. The most impressive thing Joe did was to lead a team of nobodies in '81' to the superbowl. He was later blessed with for talent to win his other 3.

The biggest thing is playing under pressure. Steve was horrible when the game was on the line and the stakes were highest, Joe was at his best. If you look at Steve's biggest wins, the 2 against Dallas in 94 and the SB, at no point was there any doubt, the Niners controlled from the outset so he was loose and played well. now once he won the SB that changed a little, but before he was always tight and threw crucial INTs at the worst time.

Joe Montana was 0-3 in the playoffs in 85, 86, and 87, throwing 0 touchdowns and 4 interceptions in those 3 games. What is your point?
Share 49ersWebzone