There are 114 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Timemachine: Montana or Young?

Timemachine: Montana or Young?

Young made things happen with his incredible tools such as his quick feet and strong arm. Joe made it happen with magic. My vote is for Joe.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,580
Originally posted by Niners99:
i dont really remember Joe Montana playing for the Niners. i was about 6 or 7 when he left for KC, so itd be easy for me to say Steve Young, who i grew up watching. to me he was the 49ers QB when i was growing up.

however, being a hardcore, keep up with the team daily Niner fan for 16 years now, ive done alot of research on what i missed in the Montana years. There is a reason Joe is thought of as the best QB in NFL history. he had an intangible quality. leading a comeback came routinely, and when the difficultly and pressure of the playoffs/Super Bowl came up, he stepped his game up to an even higher level. Montana played in 4 Super Bowls. he won all 4, was named MVP in 3, (lead the game winning 2 min. drive with a TD pass to WIN the championship in the one game he DIDNT get MVP), and had a career QB rating in the big game of 127.8 (with no picks), best all time. there will never be another Joe Montana.

Steve Young was great, but Joe Montana was legendary. Young had the better tools, but Montana had the touch, the accuracy, the brains, the cool attitude, and the killer instinct when the games got really important.

IMO its a no brainer pick. if Steve Young didnt win the Super Bowl in 94-95, he wouldnt have been remember the same, both among the fans, and nationally. that season he stepped out of Montanas shadow for the first time, and the fans loved him for good. we lose that game and hed be "that very good Niner QB that just couldnt get it done."

anybody over the age of 35 is going to say Montana regardless because they saw the careers of both, but for the people around my age and younger, go watch some old games. look at some playoff stats and such. its incredible.


50 year old fan who followed team since the Brodie years picking Steve
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Umm, do people forget that Montana got bounced out of the playoffs 3 years in a row 85, 85, and 87 going 0 for 3?

Originally posted by GlenCoffeesNuts:
Young made things happen with his incredible tools such as his quick feet and strong arm. Joe made it happen with magic. My vote is for Joe.

Joe could make reads faster, react quicker and was more accurate. The most impressive thing Joe did was to lead a team of nobodies in '81' to the superbowl. He was later blessed with for talent to win his other 3.
Montana.

/thread
To compare which quarterback was better, its going to be hard for anyone not to say Joe. Based on what he has done, there is a reason he has 4 rings and is arguably the best qb ever. That being said, if choosing the qb I liked more, and would rather have today, it would have to be Steven. Like some who have posted im at an age where I saw the last years of montana, and the whole career of steve with the 49ers.
No matter the debate, we were truely lucky to find gold twice in both Montana and Young.
Quote:
Steve Young today's NFL requires a mobile QB that can get out of trouble and being able to run the ball yourself is a huge plus in today's game. Young would be a super version of Micael Vick, way more accurate and while a little slower still very deadly with his feet.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Umm, do people forget that Montana got bounced out of the playoffs 3 years in a row 85, 86, and 87 going 0 for 3?

Really? You want to go there????

4 SB rings to 1.

But seriously, we were blessed. Even counting Garcia, we had a good fortune of having GREAT QB plays for a long time.

- 98
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Umm, do people forget that Montana got bounced out of the playoffs 3 years in a row 85, 85, and 87 going 0 for 3?

Originally posted by 49erAllTheWay:
Quote:
Steve Young today's NFL requires a mobile QB that can get out of trouble and being able to run the ball yourself is a huge plus in today's game. Young would be a super version of Micael Vick, way more accurate and while a little slower still very deadly with his feet.

The Mannings, Brady, Rothlesberger, Brees, Warner, aren't to mobile and they won a few superbowls in "today's game". In fact, who is the last super mobile quarterback to win a superbowl?
Originally posted by 49erAllTheWay:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Umm, do people forget that Montana got bounced out of the playoffs 3 years in a row 85, 85, and 87 going 0 for 3?



___________Games Started__Wins__Losses__Percentage
Joe Montana------------23------------16----------7---------.696

Steve Young------------14-------------8-----------6---------.571


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_starting_quarterback_playoff_records


/thread... again

[ Edited by FILTHpigskin on Feb 2, 2011 at 10:31:44 ]
Originally posted by msallaz51:
Originally posted by 49erAllTheWay:
Quote:
Steve Young today's NFL requires a mobile QB that can get out of trouble and being able to run the ball yourself is a huge plus in today's game. Young would be a super version of Micael Vick, way more accurate and while a little slower still very deadly with his feet.

The Mannings, Brady, Rothlesberger, Brees, Warner, aren't to mobile and they won a few superbowls in "today's game". In fact, who is the last super mobile quarterback to win a superbowl?

Probably Young lol, i'm picking Young b/c the OP said

Quote:
Taking into account the current personnel of the team, today's NFL and who you think would fair better with today's 49er team not who you believe was the better NFL QB in their respective careers.


I just think he would run our current offense better then Montana, just my opinion.
Steve Young was the most intense player in NFL history. The excitement level of those years was amazing. He was overlooked as one of the or maybe even the toughest QB(s) of all-time. I remember a play in 95, the season following the Super Bowl win, Young throws a pick to Deion Sanders(Cowboys) but chases him down, and plants a hit then sends Deion into midair! The funny thing about it was thats how he played every single game. Most Qbs of today wouldnt even think of running a QB sneak up the middle in a goal line situation, but Steve even trampled a few defenders on his way in to numerous up the gut style TD runs. I would pick this guy just because of the look on his face when holding the ball. Montana may have been the best QB out of the two, but Steve did more than just pass, he ran the ball better than most RBs! Im taking Steve on this one.
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by Niners99:
i dont really remember Joe Montana playing for the Niners. i was about 6 or 7 when he left for KC, so itd be easy for me to say Steve Young, who i grew up watching. to me he was the 49ers QB when i was growing up.

however, being a hardcore, keep up with the team daily Niner fan for 16 years now, ive done alot of research on what i missed in the Montana years. There is a reason Joe is thought of as the best QB in NFL history. he had an intangible quality. leading a comeback came routinely, and when the difficultly and pressure of the playoffs/Super Bowl came up, he stepped his game up to an even higher level. Montana played in 4 Super Bowls. he won all 4, was named MVP in 3, (lead the game winning 2 min. drive with a TD pass to WIN the championship in the one game he DIDNT get MVP), and had a career QB rating in the big game of 127.8 (with no picks), best all time. there
will never be another Joe Montana.

Steve Young was great, but Joe Montana was legendary. Young had the better tools, but Montana had the touch, the accuracy, the brains, the cool attitude, and the killer instinct when the games got really important.

IMO its a no brainer pick. if Steve Young didnt win the Super Bowl in 94-95, he wouldnt have been remember the same, both among the fans, and nationally. that season he stepped out of Montanas shadow for the first time, and the fans loved him for good. we lose that game and hed be "that very good Niner QB that just couldnt
get it done."

anybody over the age of 35 is going to say Montana regardless because they saw the careers of both, but for the people around my age and younger, go watch some old games. look at some playoff stats and such. its incredible.


50 year old fan who followed team since the Brodie years picking Steve

How come? Just curious.
Originally posted by prime21:
Steve Young was the most intense player in NFL history. The excitement level of those years was amazing. He was overlooked as one of the or maybe even the toughest QB(s) of all-time. I remember a play in 95, the season following the Super Bowl win, Young throws a pick to Deion Sanders(Cowboys) but chases him down, and plants a hit then sends Deion into midair! The funny thing about it was thats how he played every single game. Most Qbs of today wouldnt even think of running a QB sneak up the middle in a goal line situation, but Steve even trampled a few defenders on his way in to numerous up the gut style TD runs. I would pick this guy just because of the look on his face when holding the ball. Montana may have been the best QB out of the two, but Steve did more than just pass, he ran the ball better than most RBs! Im taking Steve on this one.

In his prime Montana was exceptional on his feet. I can recall a game at the Stick against the NY Giants in the 1984-5 Divisional Playoffs where Joe feigned like he was about to run the ball out of bounds, then juked and turned up field for about a 40-50 yard run up the Giants sideline . . . . also in Superbowl 19 at Stanford he drove the Dolphins absolutey nuts ripping off multiple first down scrambles early in the game.

Montana could run . . . he just chose his spots.

[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Feb 3, 2011 at 19:02:58 ]