There are 246 users in the forums

Need your guys opinion (on Frank Gore vid)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by baybreaker707:
You have nice quality footage, you just need more umph and pazazz when you edit them.

LOL!! There is always one.

Always one what? Just giving you some constructive criticism.
You have nice quality footage, you just need more umph and pazazz when you edit them.

LOL! No worries.

I mean there is always one critic. It wasn't an attack. ;-)

LOL! No worries.

Oh I didn't take it as an attack and I hope you're not taking anything I say as an attack. The vids you've posted are good, but to me it's just a bunch of clips with music added to them. I'd like to see you use some transitions, zooms, pans etc. and time the clips with the music better. I'm sure you can do it and I can't wait to see your next vid.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Film grain, please.

Now hurry! I must see this video!

LOL!! No Pressure.

In all seriousness, Its awesome that everyone has responded so positively to the vids, but now its alot of pressure to live up to it...LOL!!

Whenever I do these vids all I see is what I wish I could have done better or where I'm not real happy about the way it came together.

A famous director once said "Movies are never finished. They are simply abandoned".

Well, the reason you have the positive responses is that your videos are awesome. No pressure, man. You've already made the best video I've ever seen. Just do your thing. Experiment if you want to. You have real talent. You won't grow if you try to please everyone.

That quote applies to all forms of art.

Try to just set a goal... a basic outline for your final vision. When you complete that goal, move on to the next project.

Your talent will take care of the rest.

Just have fun. If you don't enjoy the creative process, you lose your passion.

Most importantly... don't burn yourself out.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

You did that just to stir the pot.

LOL! No worries.

Oh I didn't take it as an attack and I hope you're not taking anything I say as an attack. The vids you've posted are good, but to me it's just a bunch of clips with music added to them. I'd like to see you use some transitions, zooms, pans etc. and time the clips with the music better. I'm sure you can do it and I can't wait to see your next vid.

Well I've tried alot of that, but there are limitations to the quality. Most of the transitions look kinda cheezy to me, the zooms force you to loose significant quality in the video (and many of those shots are already zoomed), and I actually do time the music.

I don't time every single clip as I prefer to put them in as close to chronilogical order as possible (my personal taste). I do, however, time specific transition points to specific beats in the music. For example, in Willis vid, one of the first big drum beats is timed to Willis helmet hitting Reggie Bush, as is the second hit right on a drum beat, and the first Horns are on the super slow motion (sometimes reminds me of the movie "2001"). In Harbaugh vid its all over the place....shot of Walsh crying, Steve Young holding trophy, switch from Walsh to Harbaugh and the words "I can feel it coming back again")

I see what your saying, but most of what your talking about is just choices.

The Crabtree vids on the other hand aren't meant to be Highlight vids, so other than maybe at the very beginning, they are all the catches he caught in the order in which he caught them. They are a different animal altogether.
Film grain, please.

Now hurry! I must see this video!

LOL!! No Pressure.

In all seriousness, Its awesome that everyone has responded so positively to the vids, but now its alot of pressure to live up to it...LOL!!

Whenever I do these vids all I see is what I wish I could have done better or where I'm not real happy about the way it came together.

A famous director once said "Movies are never finished. They are simply abandoned".

Well, the reason you have the positive responses is that your videos are awesome. No pressure, man. You've already made the best video I've ever seen. Just do your thing. Experiment if you want to. You have real talent. You won't grow if you try to please everyone.

That quote applies to all forms of art.

Try to just set a goal... a basic outline for your final vision. When you complete that goal, move on to the next project.

Your talent will take care of the rest.

Just have fun. If you don't enjoy the creative process, you lose your passion.

Most importantly... don't burn yourself out.

Its all good. It'll probably be quite some time before I make another one after the Gore vid. I've kinda used up most of the good footage.

The only one left I might do is Vernon Davis, but most of his good stuff is in the Harbaugh vid already.

I will probably hold off on vids until after the draft. Then, I'll find verything I can on the picks and post the NFL Network and ESPN footage.

LOL! No worries.

Well I've tried alot of that, but there are limitations to the quality. Most of the transitions look kinda cheezy to me, the zooms force you to loose significant quality in the video (and many of those shots are already zoomed), and I actually do time the music.

I don't time every single clip as I prefer to put them in as close to chronilogical order as possible (my personal taste). I do, however, time specific transition points to specific beats in the music. For example, in Willis vid, one of the first big drum beats is timed to Willis helmet hitting Reggie Bush, as is the second hit right on a drum beat, and the first Horns are on the super slow motion (sometimes reminds me of the movie "2001"). In Harbaugh vid its all over the place....shot of Walsh crying, Steve Young holding trophy, switch from Walsh to Harbaugh and the words "I can feel it coming back again")

I see what your saying, but most of what your talking about is just choices.

The Crabtree vids on the other hand aren't meant to be Highlight vids, so other than maybe at the very beginning, they are all the catches he caught in the order in which he caught them. They are a different animal altogether.

Check this vid out. This is what I consider some quality editing, although the quality of the footage is garbage. You can tell the guy put some time into it. I'm sure you can do this as well and would love to see 9er vids like this. When I watched it, it felt like a movie trailer. Just trying to give you inspiration. To the guy that said trying to please everyone won't allow you to grow. I think it works the other way around, because if you stick to what you know then there is know growth at all. Anyways here's the vid.

The OP asked for opinions, if everyone jocks his sh!t this thread would be pointless.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

The OP asked for opinions, if everyone jocks his sh!t this thread would be pointless.

He asked for an opinion on one decision for his next video.

He did not ask for you to critique his entire process.

He asked for an opinion on one decision for his next video.

He did not ask for you to critique his entire process.

Oh my bad, I could of sworn he said opinions.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Its all good. It'll probably be quite some time before I make another one after the Gore vid. I've kinda used up most of the good footage.

The only one left I might do is Vernon Davis, but most of his good stuff is in the Harbaugh vid already.

I will probably hold off on vids until after the draft. Then, I'll find verything I can on the picks and post the NFL Network and ESPN footage.

Yeah, just do what you think is best.

I think it makes sense to wait until after the draft.

Thanks again for all the hard work!
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Oh my bad, I could of sworn he said opinions.

Nope.

Hey guys...

So I'm working on a Frank Gore highlight vid and all the stuff from this year looks great. I had an idea tho and wanted to incorporate some older stuff at the beginning.

The problem with that is the quality of the available video for prior seasons. I ran into a similar problem on the "Jim Harbaugh Era Begins" Video, but it actually made it look better when I ran it through a film grain filter and made it black and white.

Anyway, there are a few different filters I can run the video through and one of them looks really cool, but I dunno if it would be popular. I can run it through "film grain and it looks a bit better, or I can use something called "watercolor". It kinda makes everything look like a moving watercolor painting.

I'm leaning toward NOT using the "watercolor" filter.

Just looking for opinions.

Yup
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Yup

Would you like me to critique your reading comprehension?

"Opinions" refers to your thoughts on how the decision will impact the video.

Please leave now.
Share 49ersWebzone