LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 427 users in the forums

Who was the biggest disapointment out of these players?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who was the biggest disapointment out of these players?

Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by jrg:
Lol, people continue to bash on Goldson

His problem was that many people saw that one very good game and assumed he would put up many more like that. The truth is, that game was an aberration. He is the kind of player we saw this season. He may benefit from better coaching, as many current players will, but to think he has Pro Bowl potential is to set oneself up for disappointment.

He is as good of a tackler and as big of a hitter as anyone but is cover skills leave something to be desired.
All of them were pretty underwhelming, but I guess I'd say Crabtree.

I expected big things from him (which I can't say about each of the others) and he definitely did not deliver. He actually seemed to regress in some areas (his hands in particular).
  • dj43
Originally posted by jones49:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by jrg:
Lol, people continue to bash on Goldson

His problem was that many people saw that one very good game and assumed he would put up many more like that. The truth is, that game was an aberration. He is the kind of player we saw this season. He may benefit from better coaching, as many current players will, but to think he has Pro Bowl potential is to set oneself up for disappointment.

He is as good of a tackler and as big of a hitter as anyone but is cover skills leave something to be desired.
Actually his tackling leaves a great deal to be desired. He still goes for the big hit instead of wrapping up. He is Keith Lewis incarnate.
The whole team was a disappointment. This year the expectations were so high. Finished .500 last year, everyone picked us to win the division and we promptly get stomped by Seattle in Week 1 and started what, 0-5? I don't care who played well and who didn't on an individual basis, the team stunk.
Isaac Sopoaga. I was really disappointed that he is still on the team. Out of his play, I'm not disappointed at all. I didn't expect anything out of that useless, dried up turd.
My list would be:
1) Brooks
2) Goldson
3) Smith

Going bottom to top, I *hoped* Smith would improve this year with the supposed continuity at OC, but I managed to temper my expectations as to what the actual results would be. Goldson's numbers took a major step back this year, but most of what I read indicated that Goldson was assignment sound. To me, that put a large portion of the blame on the pass rush. Brooks was really expected to take a huge step forward this season, possibly even moving into Lawson or Harralson's(sp?) spot permanently. Honestly, I don't recall any really distinguishing plays by Brooks this year, and I really feel we got more of a pass rush when LaBoy was on the field.
Wow.. Michael Crabtree is on this list? He's a great WR. Just watch when we have a semi decent qb and a decent system in place.

How can you negatively judge any receiver on our team when you have Raye/Johnson/Singletary running the show? You need to give him more time before you can judge him. He was drafted into an archaic offensive system that led to raye being fired.. and then Sing being fired. If the offense was half decent, we'd have been in the playoffs without a doubt. So, just chill... Crabtree will be good.

Biggest disapointment? Harleson without a doubt. He had a ton of sacks as a part time player, was given the starting gig, couldnt get it done, and it turned into a rotation where he did marginal. It really seemed like he was gonna be a great sack master. Now, I'm not so sure.
Gotta be Smith. This was supposed to be Smith's breakout year.

#1 overall pick, 6th year, supposed breakout season.

Didn't happen.

Biggest Disappointment.
Share 49ersWebzone