There are 65 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What do we do with lawson!

Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
We need a new cba in place. Then we could talk to lawson about a deal. If he's looking for 50 million let him walk. We should have giving JP his money, but lawson is different not really the passrusher we expected. I think if we land miller and resign lawson those 2 could run the arch well. Forcing the qb to step up into justin smith, and ray mcdonald. Ray should get the start over issac, who i believed is the most overrated niner!!!

We had all off-season to sign him...he held out...we didn't sign him to a LT contract. We had all season to sign him....management didn't even bother. In his contract year, he put up a whopping 2.5 sacks.

At the end of the day Balke is running the show and he knows THE #1 responsibility of the OLB in the 3-4 is to get to the QB and it's been well documented over 5 years, even in a contract year, he'll never be able to do that.

In a real 3-4, non-Manusky vanilla scheme, coverage is a moot point. He's excellent at setting the edge but certainly has lost a lot of speed laterally with the injury and all the bulk he's had to put on just to play in the NFL. Keep in mind too that most LB's ARE good are setting the edge. Even Brooks in limited snaps had more TFL's. I, too, have questioned his motivation and heart so you can pretty much bank on MANNY going to a 4-3 team this off-season.

We won't miss Manny at all once we employ a proper 3-4 with the right personnel to fit it. Many fans on this board have no idea what a real 3-4 defense is supposed to look like...so here's a hint...watch the Superbowl and try to picture Lawson and Haralson in that defense and you'll get a good laugh!

Well said NC.

if i remember thats how we got jsmith coming off 3 sacks in a contract year, team didn't want to pay and bam 2 pro bowls later they still kickin themselves
Originally posted by foundone:
if i remember thats how we got jsmith coming off 3 sacks in a contract year, team didn't want to pay and bam 2 pro bowls later they still kickin themselves

i know i felt like he was clicking mentally... He had kolb severaly times in the eagles game. Just Harlson was not around in order to help him...
Originally posted by Sinsation:
we keep him and cut haralson. that guy sucks.

Now thats an idea. Lawson resigned, haralson cut, Linbacker with first round pick! Whatever we have to do to get the qb down!

Agreed. I don't understand how anyone, under any scenario, can advocate keeping Haralson and not resigning Lawson.
Originally posted by Bay_Area_Fan:
Originally posted by TDilvr:

I don't get why anybody would keep 98 over 99....

Cuz 98 is signed for cheap, and 99 wants a lot of money to come back. Thats why

Has it been reported that he is asking for an unreasonable contract or what is this based on?

It was reported that he want Calvin Pace type money. 6 years 42 million, 22 million guaranteed. No way that Lawson is worth that kind of contract. Dude cant sniff the QB, coverage LBs are not that hard to replace.

It was also reported that Jim Harbaugh was going everywhere under the sun BUT San Francisco.
I have a feeling this thread will last a very, very long time....
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Bay_Area_Fan:
Originally posted by TDilvr:

I don't get why anybody would keep 98 over 99....

Cuz 98 is signed for cheap, and 99 wants a lot of money to come back. Thats why

Has it been reported that he is asking for an unreasonable contract or what is this based on?

It was reported that he want Calvin Pace type money. 6 years 42 million, 22 million guaranteed. No way that Lawson is worth that kind of contract. Dude cant sniff the QB, coverage LBs are not that hard to replace.

It was also reported that Jim Harbaugh was going everywhere under the sun BUT San Francisco.

Let's not relive that please...
  • dj43
  • Veteran
In Fangio's defense, using the blitz packages that he learned from Dom Capers, Lawson would be a very effective rushing the passer in addition to his run defense skills.. He won't get a lot of sacks overpowering an OT but that is not what the Capers blitz scheme relies on. The thought of Lawson ever becoming a James Harrison-type OLB was just bad evaluation.

The 49ers need to keep Lawson and then go after the best pass rushing OLB at #7 overall. However, he may no longer be interested in playing here after the snub he got from the team for not even offering him a contract. In that case, they will need two OLB, IMO, as I have little faith in Brooks ever becoming the stud pass rusher they need.

In truth, they need an additional OLB even if Lawson stays, plus Brooks. My concern is that this is yet another high draft choice the Nolan regime screwed up.
Top 10 rookie passrusher, Willis, Spikes, Lawson

That would be a LB combo nobody would want to see. Forget about the run. It was so clear last year the opposite side of Lawson was the weak link in every catagory. Too many many times I watch Lawson get penetration only to have the QB flushed out to the other side and have nobody there to stop him. What a bust.

Question for some of you out there: Why not just pay Lawson since we are probably going to be very far under the cap like the last couple of years? I dont know too many teams that have two stud outside rushing LBs anyway.
Originally posted by wailers15:
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Lawson is one of the better OLBs in the league. Hell yes we keep him, granted his salary demands are reasonable.

Dude your going out on a limb with this statement.I think your going off of his potential something he's never lived up to. I dare u to watch film on him. He dogs it too much. KC, GB, SEA, STL, those games stick out in my head. My pops coaches fb and lol it makes him sick. He's surprisedcoaches didn't bench him for his slacking.

see that too. dont know if its actually slacking, but there were times when he has a clear path and looks like hes jogging to the qb. no closing burst, its frustrating.
Originally posted by 209niner:
Originally posted by wailers15:
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Lawson is one of the better OLBs in the league. Hell yes we keep him, granted his salary demands are reasonable.

Dude your going out on a limb with this statement.I think your going off of his potential something he's never lived up to. I dare u to watch film on him. He dogs it too much. KC, GB, SEA, STL, those games stick out in my head. My pops coaches fb and lol it makes him sick. He's surprisedcoaches didn't bench him for his slacking.

see that too. dont know if its actually slacking, but there were times when he has a clear path and looks like hes jogging to the qb. [b]no closing burst, its frustrating.
[/b]Yeah I'm sure he has no desire to increase his sac total in a contract year...
What would we do..

for a Klondike bar??
I say move him to TE. That VD guy obviously hasn't been cutting it.
Or maybe we could try him at SS, he is pretty fast for a guy that big.
Long snapper? How about TED LB? Kick returner, Balmer used to return kicks for us and Lawson is way faster
We need a new cba in place. Then we could talk to lawson about a deal. If he's looking for 50 million let him walk. We should have giving JP his money, but lawson is different not really the passrusher we expected. I think if we land miller and resign lawson those 2 could run the arch well. Forcing the qb to step up into justin smith, and ray mcdonald. Ray should get the start over issac, who i believed is the most overrated niner!!!

We had all off-season to sign him...he held out...we didn't sign him to a LT contract. We had all season to sign him....management didn't even bother. In his contract year, he put up a whopping 2.5 sacks.

At the end of the day Balke is running the show and he knows THE #1 responsibility of the OLB in the 3-4 is to get to the QB and it's been well documented over 5 years, even in a contract year, he'll never be able to do that.

In a real 3-4, non-Manusky vanilla scheme, coverage is a moot point. He's excellent at setting the edge but certainly has lost a lot of speed laterally with the injury and all the bulk he's had to put on just to play in the NFL. Keep in mind too that most LB's ARE good are setting the edge. Even Brooks in limited snaps had more TFL's. I, too, have questioned his motivation and heart so you can pretty much bank on MANNY going to a 4-3 team this off-season.

We won't miss Manny at all once we employ a proper 3-4 with the right personnel to fit it. Many fans on this board have no idea what a real 3-4 defense is supposed to look like...so here's a hint...watch the Superbowl and try to picture Lawson and Haralson in that defense and you'll get a good laugh!

Well said NC.

Ncommand, I have read this forum for awhile and have come to the conclusion, that when it comes to defensive evaluation, you are the brightest poster here.

I agree with everything you have said about Lawson. Personally, I think he would be a near pro bowl level in a 4-3 tampa 2 scheme, but the 3-4 is the complete non-fit for his style of play, since he is easily walled off by blockers and overstrides too much as a rusher. The most IMPORTANT attribute in a 3-4 rusher is the ability to get to the quarterback and apply heat. Our previos two stooges, Manusky and Nolan, simply didn't understand this.

But I'd also point out that the person you just replied to, Susweel, is simply a 49er player hater who understands nothing about the game of football. So while it may seem like he is sucking up to you, he actually has no flinging idea what you are talking about and just goes with the flow to be negative. Just a warning to you.
we resign him.

/thread
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home