Originally posted by fakers23:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/01/harbaugh-wants.html

Quote:
Napear asked what Harbaugh liked about Smith. "Very accurate passer, very athletic - a guy that has played and been durable," Harbaugh said. As was the case last week when he met with reporters, Harbaugh stressed that every 49ers player had a clean slate moving forward.

But while Harbaugh may give Smith a clean slate, the 49ers fan base will not. That was evident during the season finale at Candlestick Park when a Smith incompletion triggered an avalanche of boos from the crowd. His passer rating at the time was 158.3 - perfect - and he would go on to lead his team to a 38-7 win over Arizona. It's gotten to the point that even when Smith wins, he loses.

Smith said on more than one occasion this past season that he is conscious of the booing, of the exasperation of him from the fan base. Is it fair? It doesn't really matter. It exists, and Smith will have to decide whether he can ever prosper in that atmosphere.

Harbaugh may be able to convince Baalke, who has the final say on the 49ers roster, to give Smith another shot. But the decision ultimately lies with Smith, who is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent on March 4.

The terrible reality is that the current 49ers situation - an offensive-minded head coach who molds quarterbacks coupled with a strong supporting cast on offense - is precisely what Smith needed six years ago when he was coming out of Utah. Joining Harbaugh would be ideal for a tough 26-year-old quarterback who, as Harbaugh said, is accurate and athletic.

But as much as Harbaugh talks about fresh starts, it's not realistic for Smith. My guess is that other teams will see the same promise in him that Harbaugh sees and that he'll have a number of suitors. No team is going to guarantee him a starting job, but the 49ers won't either. My guess is that Smith walks.

-- Matt Barrows

I agree with Barrows . . . even though ironically 2011 would offer Alex Smith the best situation of his entire tenure in SF when it comes to supporting talent and coaching, the last six years have poisoned the well when it comes to getting the majority of the fan base behind the idea.

Barrows said it best... The fans don't want him back... No amount of Harbaugh praise going to make the fans cheer him again.. Especially when they have seen this out come twice before. For the fans sake and Alex move on!

Who gives a f**k about the fans? If Harbaugh thinks he can get him to play well then he should keep him and the fans should stfu and take the sticks out of their asses. Until Harbaugh starts losing games and looks like a bad coach, you go with what he says. Period. This guy is not Mike Singletary or Mike Nolan. He knows x's and o's and QB play and he knows what the f**k he is doing. Our fans can act like a bunch of retards and that doesn't mean we'll win. I don't think Alex is the greatest thing since sliced bread or anything but IMO Harbaugh should get what he wants period.

The 49er front office sure does... They don't want rolling black out and empty seats each year! You going to pay the 49ers bills?

The 49er front office objective should be to win games period. If you win then they will come. If Harbaugh thinks Alex can do a better job helping the 9ers win games than the other options, then he should be able to try and keep him. The fans need to stop being a bunch of little whining b***hes saying s**t like "well omg he is not Rodger!" and "well I have jus nevar liked him, and he could shoot lightning bolt outta his azz and I will still not like him so f**k Smith!" and "well omg im on my period right now and all my friends think he sux, and i care more about what my friends think than what actually happens on the field so I would rather have Jeff George as teh QB!" and go with what Harbaugh says. He's the man now, he knows more than all of you and deserves to get what he wants.

Harbaugh knows QB play better than all of you guys. I'll go with his word over yours. Any smart fan would. The smart thing to do, if he really ACTUALLY DOES like Smith, is to re-sign him and draft a rookie like Ponder in the 2nd and maybe a guy like McElroy or Devlin toward the end of the draft.

If the 49ers objective are about wining as you say... Alex would of been told to hit the road last year... If you really want to win... Alex is not the answer. His record shows that!

Like I said before Harbaugh doesnt appear to agree with you and Ill take his word over yours any day. Sucks for you though.

Harbaugh doesn't have final say... Baalke does and Baalke made it clear our QB not on the roster!

Yes because technically Smith is a FA dude. THe 9ers only have 1 QB on the roster right now and that's Carr crash. Not to mention Baalke and Harbaugh work together pretty well, and Baalke already said he respects Harbaugh's opinion. BTW Just because Harbaugh would like to work with Smith and thinks he's the best option doesn't mean he's QB of the future. Baalke said the QB of the future is not on the roster. That doesn't mean he's not the best stop gap guy. That doesn't mean they wouldn't draft a guy like Ponder in the 2nd. Or a 1st rounder on a QB next year in a MUCH better QB class.

Quote:
Napear asked what Harbaugh liked about Smith. "Very accurate passer, very athletic - a guy that has played and been durable," Harbaugh said. As was the case last week when he met with reporters, Harbaugh stressed that every 49ers player had a clean slate moving forward.

But while Harbaugh may give Smith a clean slate, the 49ers fan base will not. That was evident during the season finale at Candlestick Park when a Smith incompletion triggered an avalanche of boos from the crowd. His passer rating at the time was 158.3 - perfect - and he would go on to lead his team to a 38-7 win over Arizona. It's gotten to the point that even when Smith wins, he loses.

Smith said on more than one occasion this past season that he is conscious of the booing, of the exasperation of him from the fan base. Is it fair? It doesn't really matter. It exists, and Smith will have to decide whether he can ever prosper in that atmosphere.

Harbaugh may be able to convince Baalke, who has the final say on the 49ers roster, to give Smith another shot. But the decision ultimately lies with Smith, who is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent on March 4.

The terrible reality is that the current 49ers situation - an offensive-minded head coach who molds quarterbacks coupled with a strong supporting cast on offense - is precisely what Smith needed six years ago when he was coming out of Utah. Joining Harbaugh would be ideal for a tough 26-year-old quarterback who, as Harbaugh said, is accurate and athletic.

But as much as Harbaugh talks about fresh starts, it's not realistic for Smith. My guess is that other teams will see the same promise in him that Harbaugh sees and that he'll have a number of suitors. No team is going to guarantee him a starting job, but the 49ers won't either. My guess is that Smith walks.

-- Matt Barrows

I agree with Barrows . . . even though ironically 2011 would offer Alex Smith the best situation of his entire tenure in SF when it comes to supporting talent and coaching, the last six years have poisoned the well when it comes to getting the majority of the fan base behind the idea.

Barrows said it best... The fans don't want him back... No amount of Harbaugh praise going to make the fans cheer him again.. Especially when they have seen this out come twice before. For the fans sake and Alex move on!

Who gives a f**k about the fans? If Harbaugh thinks he can get him to play well then he should keep him and the fans should stfu and take the sticks out of their asses. Until Harbaugh starts losing games and looks like a bad coach, you go with what he says. Period. This guy is not Mike Singletary or Mike Nolan. He knows x's and o's and QB play and he knows what the f**k he is doing. Our fans can act like a bunch of retards and that doesn't mean we'll win. I don't think Alex is the greatest thing since sliced bread or anything but IMO Harbaugh should get what he wants period.

The 49er front office sure does... They don't want rolling black out and empty seats each year! You going to pay the 49ers bills?

The 49er front office objective should be to win games period. If you win then they will come. If Harbaugh thinks Alex can do a better job helping the 9ers win games than the other options, then he should be able to try and keep him. The fans need to stop being a bunch of little whining b***hes saying s**t like "well omg he is not Rodger!" and "well I have jus nevar liked him, and he could shoot lightning bolt outta his azz and I will still not like him so f**k Smith!" and "well omg im on my period right now and all my friends think he sux, and i care more about what my friends think than what actually happens on the field so I would rather have Jeff George as teh QB!" and go with what Harbaugh says. He's the man now, he knows more than all of you and deserves to get what he wants.

Harbaugh knows QB play better than all of you guys. I'll go with his word over yours. Any smart fan would. The smart thing to do, if he really ACTUALLY DOES like Smith, is to re-sign him and draft a rookie like Ponder in the 2nd and maybe a guy like McElroy or Devlin toward the end of the draft.

If the 49ers objective are about wining as you say... Alex would of been told to hit the road last year... If you really want to win... Alex is not the answer. His record shows that!

Like I said before Harbaugh doesnt appear to agree with you and Ill take his word over yours any day. Sucks for you though.

Harbaugh doesn't have final say... Baalke does and Baalke made it clear our QB not on the roster!

Yes because technically Smith is a FA dude. THe 9ers only have 1 QB on the roster right now and that's Carr crash. Not to mention Baalke and Harbaugh work together pretty well, and Baalke already said he respects Harbaugh's opinion. BTW Just because Harbaugh would like to work with Smith and thinks he's the best option doesn't mean he's QB of the future. Baalke said the QB of the future is not on the roster. That doesn't mean he's not the best stop gap guy. That doesn't mean they wouldn't draft a guy like Ponder in the 2nd. Or a 1st rounder on a QB next year in a MUCH better QB class.

Alex is not a free agent untill March 4... Look it up...

Quote:

-- Matt Barrows

Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Quote:

-- Matt Barrows

If the team is winning the fans will not care who is at QB, only idiots that have no idea what they are talking about would b***h about who the QB is. Jesus, I remember when the niners fans were considered knowledgeable in general.

A few Alex fans on the internet don't reprsent the base of the faithful. Us on webzone... Only make up a very small fraction of 49er fans.. The majority of them disagree with you and agree with those of us that think Alex time in SF are over! Also I repeat again... What has Alex done in 6 years that screams wining? A 7 and 9 record? Good luck wining 49er fans over with that!

Nobody said he's won yet. What the guy said was that if they START TO WIN, FANS WILL COME TO THE GAMES WHETHER SMITH IS THE QB OR NOT. Damn dude, do you actually speak English? Better question, are you even a real fan? If Harbaugh actually got Alex winning with this team would you still be a fan? I doubt it. You would just keep trolling the webzone because you enjoy whining and getting under people's skin.

Quote:

-- Matt Barrows

I know that. But the 9ers are not playing any games during that time so this current season is basically over dude. You didn't even respond to the rest of my points. You have no idea how to make an intelligent counter point. Just stop while you're not as behind as you will be in 10 more posts.

Quote:

-- Matt Barrows

Quote:

-- Matt Barrows

If the team is winning the fans will not care who is at QB, only idiots that have no idea what they are talking about would b***h about who the QB is. Jesus, I remember when the niners fans were considered knowledgeable in general.

A few Alex fans on the internet don't reprsent the base of the faithful. Us on webzone... Only make up a very small fraction of 49er fans.. The majority of them disagree with you and agree with those of us that think Alex time in SF are over! Also I repeat again... What has Alex done in 6 years that screams wining? A 7 and 9 record? Good luck wining 49er fans over with that!

Nobody said he's won yet. What the guy said was that if they START TO WIN, FANS WILL COME TO THE GAMES WHETHER SMITH IS THE QB OR NOT. Damn dude, do you actually speak English? Better question, are you even a real fan? If Harbaugh actually got Alex winning with this team would you still be a fan? I doubt it. You would just keep trolling the webzone because you enjoy whining and getting under people's skin.

So because I won an arguement over you. You resort to name calling.. Instead of accepting your loss. You resort to a troll comment! Nobody going to wait another year for Alex to get rid right... We waited enough!

Quote:

-- Matt Barrows

Quote:

-- Matt Barrows

So because I won an arguement over you. You resort to name calling.. Instead of accepting your loss. You resort to a troll comment! Nobody going to wait another year for Alex to get rid right... We waited enough!

lol you didnt win the argument, and you never will..
why would anyone engage in conversation about Alex with fakers?

Quote:

-- Matt Barrows

Quote:

-- Matt Barrows

Quote:

-- Matt Barrows

I know that. But the 9ers are not playing any games during that time so this current season is basically over dude. You didn't even respond to the rest of my points. You have no idea how to make an intelligent counter point. Just stop while you're not as behind as you will be in 10 more posts.

I responded to your post.. I said the 49ers can't afford to wait for a switch on Alex to turn on.. Not when they already waited 6 years... They need to win now!
There are some very intersting things going on here.

First, Baalke tells the press that the 49er's QB of the future is not presently on the roster.

Second, Baalke goes to Sr. Bowl and Harbaugh doesn't. San Diego is perceptive enough to sense that, given Harbaugh's reputation with QBs shouldn't he have gone to do an up close and personal inspection of the QBs? Many of you ganged up on SD for raising such a ridiculous point. Did Baalke tell Harbaugh to stay home because Baalke would do the evaluating.

Third, while Baalke is away, Harbaugh looks at film and evaluates guys on the roster. Then he talks to Alex and goes out to the field for some QB drills. Then he informs the press that he likes Alex, that he can be a winner, and that he is accurate, athletic and durable.

If you didn't know better, you would think there is a power struggle already going on between Baalke and Harbaugh.

What do you guys think?
Originally posted by excelsior:

First, Baalke tells the press that the 49er's QB of the future is not presently on the roster.

Second, Baalke goes to Sr. Bowl and Harbaugh doesn't. San Diego is perceptive enough to sense that, given Harbaugh's reputation with QBs shouldn't he have gone to do an up close and personal inspection of the QBs? Many of you ganged up on SD for raising such a ridiculous point. Did Baalke tell Harbaugh to stay home because Baalke would do the evaluating.

Third, while Baalke is away, Harbaugh looks at film and evaluates guys on the roster. Then he talks to Alex and goes out to the field for some QB drills. Then he informs the press that he likes Alex, that he can be a winner, and that he is accurate, athletic and durable.

If you didn't know better, you would think there is a power struggle already going on between Baalke and Harbaugh.

What do you guys think?

I smell a rat

Originally posted by binary2nd:
why would anyone engage in conversation about Alex with fakers?

Beats me. But if they think he's a troll, then maybe they should stop responding.

What do you guys think?

To early to tell,but as I said Harbaugh could say he loves Russell and Baalke would still say no... Since he's the one with the power not Harbaugh..

Quote:

-- Matt Barrows

Originally posted by BHulman:

Quote:

-- Matt Barrows

If the Harbaugh led Niners win the fans are going to show up in droves with or without Alex Smith as QB.

Yes wining cures all,but the odds for Alex wining games are silm to none...

If Harbaugh thinks the odds are better I think I will put my faith in his assessment over yours. Sorry dude, but he was an NFL QB for 15 years, an assistant NFL coach and resurrected two college teams that featured outstanding QB play. I don't have any idea what your creds are.
Harbaugh shows he's no better then Dingleberry!

So what you're saying is that you're not a 9er fan..you're an anti-smith fan...

What do you guys think?

To early to tell,but as I said Harbaugh could say he loves Russell and Baalke would still say no... Since he's the one with the power not Harbaugh..

I wonder if they made that totally clear to Harbaugh when they were wooing him.
Share 49ersWebzone