There are 342 users in the forums

Harbaugh - "I believe that Alex Smith can be a winning QB"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by binary2nd:
I'm assuming Harbaugh didn't watch Smith on film yet??

Sounds like he has, and he saw the same thing most have. He's the best QB out of all in FA, and he had a QB rating of 90 once Raye got fired.

Seriously, Smith is NOT the best thing out there right now, if there was ever a biased answer your would take the cake.

And if Harbaugh is DEAD serious, Smith would most likely be our #1 priority come free agency.

I've heard tons of Off-season praise for this kid, year in and year out, end results.....same s**t.

If there is no FA then what? I don't want to burn picks on other peoples backups.

Why not, Kolb, Orton and Palmer are all BETTER options than Smith. Smith would basically be in a NEW system once again, and we all know how that movie is.

Kolb would cost more then we should pay. Palmer is an older slower version of Alex. And Orton doesn't really impress me that much...would depend on the price.
Originally posted by mike:
Originally posted by niteshade80:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
I'm sure if some of you saw this:

“So excited, yeah, I’m going to say it, I’ve been studying Alex Smith and watching him and I believe that Alex Smith can be a winning quarterback in the National Football League,” Harbaugh said. “I’m excited to work with him, get to know him.”

What are some of the qualities Harbaugh saw in Smith?

“Very accurate passer,” he said. “Very athletic. And a guy that has played and been durable.”

Harbaugh went on to say that he’s talked with Smith and other players about having a “clean slate” with the new coaching staff. And he also acknowledged that Smith might choose to get a completely fresh start with a new franchise after six turbulent seasons in San Francisco.

“Ultimately, he has to make a decision because he’s an unrestricted free agent right now,” Harbaugh said. “And what is his vision for himself? Does that include the San Francisco 49ers in that vision? And, like I said, we’re going to try to strengthen that position and get us to training camp in the best possible position we can be in.”

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/01/inside-the-49ers/harbaugh-i-believe-that-alex-smith-can-be-a-winning-qb/

Begin the overreaction now.

I look at it like this, if you have a qb on yor team that is not projected to be a starter or a major role player in the future and your team drafted him as the #1 in one of it's drafts, then you want to make that player look really good for trade value. If we can pull out a 4th rounder for him, what a steal that would be, so they are going to want to make him look really good so that they can get something for him.

I personally would like Jake Locker from Washington much better. I hope Jake fall's to us in the draft so that we can get someone that can both run and pass to run the WCO.

How do we trade a free agent?

Guess I am a little behind, thought he had another year left on his contract, thank you all for the update, I don't think they'll bring him back, usually when a VP says that we don't have the qb of the future on the roster, at least to me that means he won't be there or will serve another capacity. Thank you all guys.....guess I am so itching for a change like everyone else and hoping we win in 2011.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I don't care for Alex Smith touch and his ability to assimilate new offenses. I have made list's of Alex's pros and cons. I am not an outright hater, in my opinion he is not suited to the classic BWO (Bill Walsh Offense). While I think he is very accurate and mid and deep passes, I find some of his other skills lacking.

I however am not as qualified as Jim Harbaugh, and will defer to his opinion, I do feel that he would be wise to, and I fully expect him to bring in other talent.

So not that it matters, I will support JH in his choice, when camp is over and the season starts, if Alex Smith is the last man sanding, then Go Alex Go Niners!

He is backwards that way. His mid and long passes are better than the short throws. He can be terrible at 5 yard passes. I'm not sure why 5 yard passes are so hard for him? Can't he just work on it?...

Alex Smith threw the 3rd most yards after catch in the league. He is actually pretty accurate at throwing to guys in stride.

Its all the short dumps he throws and most of those were poorly thrown. We actually just have good receivers. Theyre able to make plays despite the sub par and horribly inconsistent passing. I think you need to dl some of our games and rewatch Smiths passes. If he could hit receivers in stride this team wouldnt have started out 0-5. All of Smiths numbers are bloated with suck and fail. You really have to reach to say anything good about this guy. IF we had a QB who could hit receivers in stride we wouldnt have been 6-10.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I don't care for Alex Smith touch and his ability to assimilate new offenses. I have made list's of Alex's pros and cons. I am not an outright hater, in my opinion he is not suited to the classic BWO (Bill Walsh Offense). While I think he is very accurate and mid and deep passes, I find some of his other skills lacking.

I however am not as qualified as Jim Harbaugh, and will defer to his opinion, I do feel that he would be wise to, and I fully expect him to bring in other talent.

So not that it matters, I will support JH in his choice, when camp is over and the season starts, if Alex Smith is the last man sanding, then Go Alex Go Niners!

He is backwards that way. His mid and long passes are better than the short throws. He can be terrible at 5 yard passes. I'm not sure why 5 yard passes are so hard for him? Can't he just work on it?...

Alex Smith threw the 3rd most yards after catch in the league. He is actually pretty accurate at throwing to guys in stride.

Its all the short dumps he throws and most of those were poorly thrown. We actually just have good receivers. Theyre able to make plays despite the sub par and horribly inconsistent passing. I think you need to dl some of our games and rewatch Smiths passes. If he could hit receivers in stride this team wouldnt have started out 0-5. All of Smiths numbers are bloated with suck and fail. You really have to reach to say anything good about this guy. IF we had a QB who could hit receivers in stride we wouldnt have been 6-10.

We were lucky to even be that.. As bad as some say Troy was. If Alex was still in after the Panthers game. We be like 2 and 12. lol
Originally posted by 49ERGLENN:
WOW; I go out for a couple of hours and my prediction comes true, 20+ pages and counting! And Faker has 5(I'm being generous) backers of his illogical thought process! This was funny at first but now it's boring. And seeing that you are at a 50% warning level I will back off on you as I don't want to see anyone work themselves into such a state that they get banned!

So as I originally said 19 pages ago;
1-Harbaugh never said in this article that he was resigning Alex.
2-Harbaugfh said he thought Alex CAN be a winner, not that he was a winner?
3-Maybe Harbaugh feels in HIS NFL experience and opinion, that there aren't any better FA QBs or Draft ready QBs better than Alex? That's his call. Right now the book is out on McNabb as he hasn't done well the last 3 seasons. Remember TO accused him of quitting in the one SB he played in! Take that for what it is with TO though!
The sky is falling crowd needs to chill, hide all the medications and razor blades!

I agree with everything you said Glenn with the possible exception of backing off this troll so that he wont get banned. The paranoia in here is amazing. Smith hasn't been signed by anyone yet. What did people expect Harbaugh to say? Somehow I don't see him saying that Smith sucks and there is no chance he could ever be a winning QB in the NFL.

By the way.............. too bad there isn't an English test as a criteria to become a poster in the Webzone. Maybe it would eliminate the "plaque".
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Very Accurate? WTF Are you talkin about Harbaugh!?!?!?! The dude consistantly throws too high. The Moran Norris play in Seattle in week 1 is the definition of an Alex Smith throw.

You're still talking about that PERFECT pass?
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
WOW; I go out for a couple of hours and my prediction comes true, 20+ pages and counting! And Faker has 5(I'm being generous) backers of his illogical thought process! This was funny at first but now it's boring. And seeing that you are at a 50% warning level I will back off on you as I don't want to see anyone work themselves into such a state that they get banned!

3-Maybe Harbaugh feels in HIS NFL experience and opinion, that there aren't any better FA QBs or Draft ready QBs better than Alex? That's his call. Right now the book is out on McNabb as he hasn't done well the last 3 seasons. Remember TO accused him of quitting in the one SB he played in! Take that for what it is with TO though!
The sky is falling crowd needs to chill, hide all the medications and razor blades!

I agree with everything you said Glenn with the possible exception of backing off this troll so that he wont get banned. The paranoia in here is amazing. Smith hasn't been signed by anyone yet. What did people expect Harbaugh to say? Somehow I don't see him saying that Smith sucks and there is no chance he could ever be a winning QB in the NFL.

By the way.............. too bad there isn't an English test as a criteria to become a poster in the Webzone. Maybe it would eliminate the "plaque".

I will let the mods deal with your personal attack..
Originally posted by fakers23:

Originally posted by binary2nd:
I'm assuming Harbaugh didn't watch Smith on film yet??

Sounds like he has, and he saw the same thing most have. He's the best QB out of all in FA, and he had a QB rating of 90 once Raye got fired.

Seriously, Smith is NOT the best thing out there right now, if there was ever a biased answer your would take the cake.

And if Harbaugh is DEAD serious, Smith would most likely be our #1 priority come free agency.

I've heard tons of Off-season praise for this kid, year in and year out, end results.....same s**t.

If there is no FA then what? I don't want to burn picks on other peoples backups.

Why not, Kolb, Orton and Palmer are all BETTER options than Smith. Smith would basically be in a NEW system once again, and we all know how that movie is.

Kolb would cost more then we should pay. Palmer is an older slower version of Alex. And Orton doesn't really impress me that much...would depend on the price.

One thing you neglect to mention is even at Palmer age. He leads him team to playoffs. Granted he didn't do it this past year,but it kind of hard to do so with TO and Johnson screwing up team chemistry..

P.S... Baka Double post..

[ Edited by fakers23 on Jan 29, 2011 at 17:52:38 ]

lol what personal attack
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
I go to Chuckie Cheese for a few hours for my son's b-day party and return to yet another epic Alex thread spreading like a wild fire. Does Harbaugh get some sort of kick-back if the Webzone traffic is over a certain level?

Good lord . . . it used to be so much more fun debating about which HOF QB to keep or trade . . . now we're stuck debating whether or not to continue re-living the insanity of the last six seasons.

Whatever . . . it is what it is.

Good post, i feel the same exact way. It is what it is with these threads. And the insanity part is dead on, trying the same thing over and over expecting different results.

Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

lol what personal attack

Calling people a troll or taking shots at people language skills behind a computer when you don't even know the person goes under flaming. If you don't like a person opinion on an issue. Disagree with them. You don't resort to name calling..

[ Edited by fakers23 on Jan 29, 2011 at 17:55:49 ]

lol what personal attack

Call people a troll or taking shots at people language skills behind a computer when you don't even know the person goes under flaming. If you don't like a person opinion on an issue. Disagree with them. You don't resort to name calling..

where did he insult you personally?
Originally posted by TheGoldenState:
Originally posted by Ibleedgoldnred:
I believe that Alex Smith with go to the Pro Bowl when the world implodes. Some say that soemthing is happening in Dec 2012...... Is that the year for Alex?

fakers23 Is like Freddy Krueger. He keeps making bad posts. Hoping the next one will be better,but it never does. It only gets worse.

Fixed!

Pretty much.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

lol what personal attack

Call people a troll or taking shots at people language skills behind a computer when you don't even know the person goes under flaming. If you don't like a person opinion on an issue. Disagree with them. You don't resort to name calling..

where did he insult you personally?

Come on you know he talking about when he mention plaque.. Number 2, he calling a fellow member a troll... "I agree with everything you said Glenn with the possible exception of backing off this troll so that he wont get banned." That uncall for... Sunsweel,the dude he's attack,and people like myself have a right to our opinions and so what if our language skils aren't at high IQ levels. This is a messageboard for 49er fans. It's not the spelling Bee!

[ Edited by fakers23 on Jan 29, 2011 at 18:00:11 ]
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by hb123:
alex will be our version of philly's mcnabb! we'll boo him til he's outta here if he aint bringing in the main prize

McNabb actually won 4 NFC Championships. What has Alex ever got us,but top 10 picks..

McNabb went to 4 Superbowls?

Fail.

dude dont respond to his posts he never responds to knowledgable posts

NOW WE'RE STARTING TO GET IT!
Share 49ersWebzone