There are 264 users in the forums

Harbaugh - "I believe that Alex Smith can be a winning QB"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I don't care for Alex Smith touch and his ability to assimilate new offenses. I have made list's of Alex's pros and cons. I am not an outright hater, in my opinion he is not suited to the classic BWO (Bill Walsh Offense). While I think he is very accurate and mid and deep passes, I find some of his other skills lacking.

I however am not as qualified as Jim Harbaugh, and will defer to his opinion, I do feel that he would be wise to, and I fully expect him to bring in other talent.

So not that it matters, I will support JH in his choice, when camp is over and the season starts, if Alex Smith is the last man sanding, then Go Alex Go Niners!

He is backwards that way. His mid and long passes are better than the short throws. He can be terrible at 5 yard passes. I'm not sure why 5 yard passes are so hard for him? Can't he just work on it?...

Alex Smith threw the 3rd most yards after catch in the league. He is actually pretty accurate at throwing to guys in stride.

because he's so accurate
WOW; I go out for a couple of hours and my prediction comes true, 20+ pages and counting! And Faker has 5(I'm being generous) backers of his illogical thought process! This was funny at first but now it's boring. And seeing that you are at a 50% warning level I will back off on you as I don't want to see anyone work themselves into such a state that they get banned!

So as I originally said 19 pages ago;
1-Harbaugh never said in this article that he was resigning Alex.
2-Harbaugfh said he thought Alex CAN be a winner, not that he was a winner?
3-Maybe Harbaugh feels in HIS NFL experience and opinion, that there aren't any better FA QBs or Draft ready QBs better than Alex? That's his call. Right now the book is out on McNabb as he hasn't done well the last 3 seasons. Remember TO accused him of quitting in the one SB he played in! Take that for what it is with TO though!
The sky is falling crowd needs to chill, hide all the medications and razor blades!

[ Edited by 49ERGLENN on Jan 29, 2011 at 17:22:20 ]
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I don't care for Alex Smith touch and his ability to assimilate new offenses. I have made list's of Alex's pros and cons. I am not an outright hater, in my opinion he is not suited to the classic BWO (Bill Walsh Offense). While I think he is very accurate and mid and deep passes, I find some of his other skills lacking.

I however am not as qualified as Jim Harbaugh, and will defer to his opinion, I do feel that he would be wise to, and I fully expect him to bring in other talent.

So not that it matters, I will support JH in his choice, when camp is over and the season starts, if Alex Smith is the last man sanding, then Go Alex Go Niners!

He is backwards that way. His mid and long passes are better than the short throws. He can be terrible at 5 yard passes. I'm not sure why 5 yard passes are so hard for him? Can't he just work on it?...

Alex Smith threw the 3rd most yards after catch in the league. He is actually pretty accurate at throwing to guys in stride.

because he's so accurate

Well he's the king of checkdowns you know... Frank Gore should get a lot of balls thrown his way again that should make him happy..
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by 49ERGLENN:
WOW; I go out for a couple of hours and my prediction comes true, 20+ pages and counting! And Faker has 5(I'm being generous) backers of his illogical thought process! This was funny at first but now it's boring. And seeing that you are at a 50% warning level I will back off on you as I don't want to see anyone work themselves into such a state that they get banned!

2-Harbaugfh said he thought Alex COULD be a winner, not that he was a winner?
3-Maybe Harbaugh feels in HIS NFL experience and opinion, that there aren't any better FA QBs or Draft ready QBs better than Alex? That's his call. Right now the book is out on McNabb as he hasn't done well the last 3 seasons. Remember TO accused him of quitting in the one SB he played in! Take that for what it is with TO though!
The sky is falling crowd needs to chill, hide all the medications and razor blades!

NOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo

Vertical strokes, suswell. Vertical.

-9fA
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

Vertical strokes, suswell. Vertical.

-9fA

Damn it !!!! No wonder its not working.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I'm assuming Harbaugh didn't watch Smith on film yet??

Sounds like he has, and he saw the same thing most have. He's the best QB out of all in FA, and he had a QB rating of 90 once Raye got fired.

Seriously, Smith is NOT the best thing out there right now, if there was ever a biased answer your would take the cake.

And if Harbaugh is DEAD serious, Smith would most likely be our #1 priority come free agency.

I've heard tons of Off-season praise for this kid, year in and year out, end results.....same s**t.

Sounds like he has, and he saw the same thing most have. He's the best QB out of all in FA, and he had a QB rating of 90 once Raye got fired.

Seriously, Smith is NOT the best thing out there right now, if there was ever a biased answer your would take the cake.

And if Harbaugh is DEAD serious, Smith would most likely be our #1 priority come free agency.

I've heard tons of Off-season praise for this kid, year in and year out, end results.....same s**t.

If there is no FA then what? I don't want to burn picks on other peoples backups.
JH really didn't have to go out of his way to praise Alex. If it's like some are claiming, that he only said those things incase they HAD to bring Alex back, well he could have just kept with his old line "I'm not into absolutes". He didn't have to go out of his way talking about his accuracy and how he believes he can be a winner.

I think he really does feel good about Alex. I think Alex would be probably rather go somewhere else. But I also think he could be persuaded to stay.
Originally posted by fakers23:
Kind of surprised Maiocco,Barrows or Tim haven't said anything today about the interview. They are usually first to speak on stuff like that..

Its because they suffered heart attacks due to shock.

Others yes,but everyone knows Maiocco a huge Alex mark..

He used to be but I think lately he has seen the light and accepted the fact that Alex cant play.

i believe this topic is about the statement that, harbaugh may think he can play.

People are not being realistic about the FA options out there. Most are not any better than Alex. Plus you may not get any of those. And a rookie will take time to develop. So Harbaugh is just covering his bases IMO. He may have to bring Alex back as a bridge for 1 year or maybe even more.

There is no doubt in my mind Harbaugh can get more out of Alex than Dingleberry and NoWin. He's a better QB developer than that.

While Alex can hesitate and doubt himself IMO when he just chucks it and doesn't think too much he is sometimes effective. So if Harbaugh can get him to stop with the hesitation maybe he can be a funcional bridge to our next franchise QB.
People are not being realistic about the FA options out there. Most are not any better than Alex. Plus you may not get any of those. And a rookie will take time to develop. So Harbaugh is just covering his bases IMO. He may have to bring Alex back as a bridge for 1 year or maybe even more.

There is no doubt in my mind Harbaugh can get more out of Alex than Dingleberry and NoWin. He's a better QB developer than that.

While Alex can hesitate and doubt himself IMO when he just chucks it and doesn't think too much he is sometimes effective. So if Harbaugh can get him to stop with the hesitation maybe he can be a funcional bridge to our next franchise QB.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by jreff22:

If there is no FA then what? I don't want to burn picks on other peoples backups.

Why not, Kolb, Orton and Palmer are all BETTER options than Smith. Smith would basically be in a NEW system once again, and we all know how that movie is.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by whiskywarlord:
Kind of surprised Maiocco,Barrows or Tim haven't said anything today about the interview. They are usually first to speak on stuff like that..

Its because they suffered heart attacks due to shock.

Others yes,but everyone knows Maiocco a huge Alex mark..

He used to be but I think lately he has seen the light and accepted the fact that Alex cant play.

i believe this topic is about the statement that, harbaugh may think he can play.

He may think that, or he may be over estimating his abilities as a coach to fix every crappy player. But we wont know the real answers to those questions until when or if he re-signs him or not.
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
I sit here and I can't help but laugh at each and every NON-KNOWING PHOCKING IDIOT that thinks that they know something about football.

For those people that doen't believe that the Organization and it's philosophy, the coaching staff and their ability to gameplan and to devise schemes in order for the eleven players on the field to be successful only prove that you have NO football knowledge at all...

Look at the coaching staffs over the last 6 years and ask yourself if they did anything that resembled the 49ers of old???

Now ask yourself how it was that this organization could take 3rd stringers of the likes of Matt Cavanaugh, Bill Musgrave, Steve Bono and even Elvis Grbac and win games. Some of them even posted 30+ points against some really good teams, all because of the coaching staffs. Look back to when the Eagles came to town and stomped our azz with the likes of Ty Detmer...

So for every IDIOT that thinks that the coaches do not make a difference in the success or failure of players is just a phocking moron to those of us who do know football...
Share 49ersWebzone