LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 287 users in the forums

Alex Smith, Josh Morgan, Nate Clements make All-Intangible team

Shop Find 49ers gear online
funny i thought this post was going to be a sarcastic one, from nate clements bonehead mistakes, josh morgans inability to lay out for the ball, and yeah we all know about alex
  • dj43
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Originally posted by excelsior:
I have one other thought to throw in about our offense. It was pointed out by a recent game announcer of the importance of the guards and center during pass plays (can't remember who).

While the focus is usually whether the tackles are keeping the outside rushers away from the QB, he said if you have interior linemen who can keep from being pushed back into the pocket, then the QB has a place into which he can step to avoid the outside rushers. It makes sense. I can"t tell you how many times I saw Alex want to step up into the pocket and there wasn't any room; the middle of the pocket was collapsing on him.

We need one or more interior linemen too, by FA or whatever.

thats probably on Rachal

Baas was often a culprit as well though he did show improvement later in the season.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Originally posted by excelsior:
I have one other thought to throw in about our offense. It was pointed out by a recent game announcer of the importance of the guards and center during pass plays (can't remember who).

While the focus is usually whether the tackles are keeping the outside rushers away from the QB, he said if you have interior linemen who can keep from being pushed back into the pocket, then the QB has a place into which he can step to avoid the outside rushers. It makes sense. I can"t tell you how many times I saw Alex want to step up into the pocket and there wasn't any room; the middle of the pocket was collapsing on him.

We need one or more interior linemen too, by FA or whatever.

thats probably on Rachal

Baas was often a culprit as well though he did show improvement later in the season.

that is to be expected after not playing his natural position since college.
  • dj43
Originally posted by YungAce:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Most yards after catch per pass (per completion)

1. Jason Campbell (194 completions, 6.99 YAC)
2. Jon Kitna (209 completions, 6.94 YAC)
3. Alex Smith (204 completions, 6.3 YAC)

This could easily be mistaken for top 3 worst starting quarterbacks of 2011

eh, not even close. Kitna had a very good year in Dallas. (89 QB rating) A lot of Dallas fans have become frustrated with Romo and are willing to trade him, largely as a result of seeing Kitna do the same or more with the same players as Romo, and without all the drama.

Campbell was at 85.

Smith was 82. (90+ after he got a live OC)

There were 10 worse starters in the league last year.
Are we in some ways witnessing the results of Nolan and Sing philosophy of having big lineman who can-- suppose to-- be good at pushing people around on running plays but lack the quickness to pass protect. Damn, we missed McKittrick.
  • dj43
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Are we in some ways witnessing the results of Nolan and Sing philosophy of having big lineman who can-- suppose to-- be good at pushing people around on running plays but lack the quickness to pass protect. Damn, we missed McKittrick.

Excellent observation. That is a part of it. Also, poor OL coaching during the entire Nolan era. Solari is an improvement but he had a lot of problems to correct in one year.

But yes, part of the pass protect issue is philosophy, and the preference for bull dozers instead of more all-round players.
wtf is Run defeats by CB?
  • dj43
Originally posted by lamontb:
wtf is Run defeats by CB?

Tackles at or behind LOS.
Not demonizing A Smith, but how many of those passes with YAC's were for first downs? If a majority of those completed passes were on third and long and did not result in first downs, those would be the skew in stats. Didn't the nickname 'Capt. Checkdown' come from short passes on third and long with soft cover defenses?
more like the All-Entangled team

• dj43
Originally posted by cypherninja:
Not demonizing A Smith, but how many of those passes with YAC's were for first downs? If a majority of those completed passes were on third and long and did not result in first downs, those would be the skew in stats. Didn't the nickname 'Capt. Checkdown' come from short passes on third and long with soft cover defenses?

Certainly a lot of them did come on long yardage situations. They were often brought about by false starts, holding, illegal blocks and the like. For much of the season, the 49ers were in the top 3 most penalized team in the league. When you are 3rd a 13, playing against a good defense, the best you can do is hope to improve the field position by a few yards.

Also, predictable 1st and 2nd down running plays brought about by a stubborn HC who refused to admit the young OL was incapable of performing what he demanded.

Sad but true, much of the field position battle was lost in the coaches room before the game ever started.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
That is fantasic if we start playing for the Intangible Superbowl.

Or use the WCO.

Just sayin'.

I just dont believe those numbers. There has to be something baked into them, that isn't obvious. The only thing I can think of is the number of screens we run. Often we would get about 5 yards, but never any big plays. I have no agenda. I love the Niners, but this is one stat that just does'nt match my observations.

Well, I know it is hard to take anything positive from last season. It was ugly and heartbreaking. We did have a lot of yards after the catch, though. It might help if you watch some highlights.

This may be the best highlight video I've ever seen and I'm sure you've watched it already, but I recommend watching it again and paying close attention to the number of yards receivers are getting after the catch.

Thanks again for making this, Marvin.

Vernon Davis had some mid range passes that he ran a long way with.

Also, remember that 7 yards after a catch doesn't look like much during a game. Especially to those of us who grew up watching Bill Walsh running the offense.

Wodo - Somehow I missed that video.

Marvin- Thank you! That was the best highlight video I've ever watched of a crappy season. It reminded me of how special our players could be when not wieghed down by moronic playcalling. The music was great and I loved the sequince of plays.

Couple of thoughts from the video:

We are lucky to have Gore and Davis. Gore plays with heart and soul and Davis is exploding with talent. I can't wait to see what a good QB and OC can do with him.

Crabtree may not be 40 yard dash fast, but the kid is crafty.

Anyway, thanks again Marvin. That was great.

No Problem. ;-) Working on a Gore vid now.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
I honestly believe, that Alex Smith... Will have a great year.... And I am a usual hater.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
guess hes not captain checkdown i dunoo what this even means lol

It means he checks down often. It shows in the stats.

All the YAC is from Gore. He's in good in company with Jason Campbell and John Kitna. Cool.
When your counterparts are Jason Campbell and Jon Kitna you pretty much know how worthless this team is.
Share 49ersWebzone