LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 280 users in the forums

Alex Smith, Josh Morgan, Nate Clements make All-Intangible team

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Wodo - Somehow I missed that video.

Marvin- Thank you! That was the best highlight video I've ever watched of a crappy season. It reminded me of how special our players could be when not wieghed down by moronic playcalling. The music was great and I loved the sequince of plays.

Couple of thoughts from the video:

We are lucky to have Gore and Davis. Gore plays with heart and soul and Davis is exploding with talent. I can't wait to see what a good QB and OC can do with him.

Crabtree may not be 40 yard dash fast, but the kid is crafty.

Anyway, thanks again Marvin. That was great.

Cool, I'm glad I showed it to you! It should be seen by every member of this forum.

See what I mean about getting the YAC, though? It was there... it's just hard to remember amidst all the garbage.
Originally posted by Wodwo:

Marvin- Thank you! That was the best highlight video I've ever watched of a crappy season. It reminded me of how special our players could be when not wieghed down by moronic playcalling. The music was great and I loved the sequince of plays.

We are lucky to have Gore and Davis. Gore plays with heart and soul and Davis is exploding with talent. I can't wait to see what a good QB and OC can do with him.

Cool, I'm glad I showed it to you! It should be seen by every member of this forum.

See what I mean about getting the YAC, though? It was there... it's just hard to remember amidst all the garbage.

I think that if Harbaugh is all that he is supposed to be that we will be fine on offense if we stand pat, maybe draft the FB that he had at Stanford. We really need pass defense and passrush, and it would be great to land that help in the first couple of rounds of the draft. I think the problem has been coaching and play calling for the most part, if the line solidifies this offseason, we should be in good shape. I tend to be an optimist though...
Originally posted by Wodwo:

I always believed in Davis, but I was a little suprised at how much seperation Crabtree was able to get with subtle movement. If he truly becomes a number one pro-bowl player it will be with a style all his own.

thanks again, for showing the video.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

I always believed in Davis, but I was a little suprised at how much seperation Crabtree was able to get with subtle movement. If he truly becomes a number one pro-bowl player it will be with a style all his own.

thanks again, for showing the video.

No problem, man.

Crabtree and Morgan both make good moves after the catch. The trick is getting them in position to make a play. Running the WCO with an accurate QB should help.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

I think that if Harbaugh is all that he is supposed to be that we will be fine on offense if we stand pat, maybe draft the FB that he had at Stanford. We really need pass defense and passrush, and it would be great to land that help in the first couple of rounds of the draft. I think the problem has been coaching and play calling for the most part, if the line solidifies this offseason, we should be in good shape. I tend to be an optimist though...

I'm with you, man.

Get me a pass rusher. Hell, get me two. If we can pressure the QB, I think our secondary might just be alright. We do need some youth at corner, though. Scheme and coaching is everything, IMO.

I'd love to get Marecic just because he already knows the blocking scheme. Would be a big help in implementing the offense, I think. Stanford kid who played on both sides of the ball with our OC and DC? Yeah, sign me up. Oh... it also helps that he doesn't suck.

Bring in a couple Stanford linemen, too... wait... can we sign UDFA without a CBA?

Ok, too many unknowns... stupid CBA.

I'm pretty confident in our offense. We obviously need a QB and improvement on the o-line, but that's about it.

This is gonna be a long offseason. I may go insane if the CBA isn't resolved.
I noticed that some mod or mods just locked virtually all the recent Alex Smith threads.

Why? I assume that the advertisers on WZ pay rates that are tied to the number of hits. It is clear the the topic of Alex provokes the most active and numerous reponses. So it just seems counterintuitive that one would kill the goose that lays the most eggs. Would the mod or mods who made these decisions care to explain his/her rationale?
Originally posted by excelsior:
I noticed that some mod or mods just locked virtually all the recent Alex Smith threads.

Why? I assume that the advertisers on WZ pay rates that are tied to the number of hits. It is clear the the topic of Alex provokes the most active and numerous reponses. So it just seems counterintuitive that one would kill the goose that lays the most eggs. Would the mod or mods who made these decisions care to explain his/her rationale?

the mods are strict about players who are on the team and who aren't. Alex Smith is vertually a free agent (5 weeks away). So if you start a Smith thread about last year, like this one, its fine, but if you want to talk about Smith in the future, then head over to the free agent forum.
That is fantasic if we start playing for the Intangible Superbowl.

Lol
Morgan is not the down field threat people hoped he would be, but he's a great run blocker. Go back and see how many times he was put in motion to seal off a LB or chip a DE. It's probably why he's had sub par stats.
I have one other thought to throw in about our offense. It was pointed out by a recent game announcer of the importance of the guards and center during pass plays (can't remember who).

While the focus is usually whether the tackles are keeping the outside rushers away from the QB, he said if you have interior linemen who can keep from being pushed back into the pocket, then the QB has a place into which he can step to avoid the outside rushers. It makes sense. I can"t tell you how many times I saw Alex want to step up into the pocket and there wasn't any room; the middle of the pocket was collapsing on him.

We need one or more interior linemen too, by FA or whatever.

• mod
  • Veteran
I have one other thought to throw in about our offense. It was pointed out by a recent game announcer of the importance of the guards and center during pass plays (can't remember who).

While the focus is usually whether the tackles are keeping the outside rushers away from the QB, he said if you have interior linemen who can keep from being pushed back into the pocket, then the QB has a place into which he can step to avoid the outside rushers. It makes sense. I can"t tell you how many times I saw Alex want to step up into the pocket and there wasn't any room; the middle of the pocket was collapsing on him.

thats probably on Rachal
Originally posted by bigmike55:
That is fantasic if we start playing for the Intangible Superbowl.

Lol
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
guess hes not captain checkdown i dunoo what this even means lol

I was thinking the same thing, I guess he checks down for a reason.

i dont get what u mean by ths it means he goes after the WR who has the most room ahead of him which sounds good to me

Most people know Alex Smith is completely uncomfortable throwing to a receiver that is not "open" by NFL standards, which would be "wide open" by college standards. Of course he allows room for YAC. This statistic would be great if it weren't for the fact that whenever he doesn't see a receiver completely open, he doesn't bother to make something happen, but instead rolls out and throws it away. He isn't a playmaker. That's a huge issue.

However, I do feel that Jim Harbaugh might be able to transform him into a better QB. I honestly don't think Alex will want to come back, though. Can't blame him.

[ Edited by 49erRider on Jan 30, 2011 at 21:26:44 ]
Originally posted by modninerfan:

thats probably on Rachal

Definitely.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Most yards after catch per pass (per completion)

1. Jason Campbell (194 completions, 6.99 YAC)
2. Jon Kitna (209 completions, 6.94 YAC)
3. Alex Smith (204 completions, 6.3 YAC)

This could easily be mistaken for top 3 worst starting quarterbacks of 2011
Share 49ersWebzone