LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 209 users in the forums

Kiper Re-grades the Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Owens81Owns:

I'll be VERY surprised if Anthony Davis is ever more than average. Hope he proves me wrong.

Anthony Davis didn't give up any sacks to Clay Matthews one on one.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. I'm such an ass.
Originally posted by Wodwo:

I'll be VERY surprised if Anthony Davis is ever more than average. Hope he proves me wrong.

Nor did he give up any sacks in his one on one match ups with Pro Bowler John Abraham
Originally posted by Wodwo:

Yeah, after Matthews was dealing with a hip injury and playing through it.

Chris Long, whom I find pretty average at all things, absolutely dominated Davis. Worst Rusher vs Tackle ass whoopin' since Strahan vs Staley.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Yeah, after Matthews was dealing with a hip injury and playing through it.

Chris Long, whom I find pretty average at all things, absolutely dominated Davis. Worst Rusher vs Tackle ass whoopin' since Strahan vs Staley.

I know.

You need to develop a sense of humor.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by King49er:
Originally posted by ace130:
A. Davis is a bust

I think he's absolute garbage, well at least that's how he played in 2010
He got off to a very rocky start, in part because of an inexperienced center and poor play by Rachal. As the season progressed he got much better. He controlled speed rushers very well - pitched a shut out against Clay Matthews. Still struggled against power rushers but some focused time in the weight room should tone him up and solve that problem.

Overall, he played about the way a lot of first round OL play. Joe Thomas had the same kind of first year. So did Jake Long and a bunch of others.

Have faith. He will be much better next year.

Unless you're an all-star lineman, the only time you hear about offensive linemen on telecasts is when they give up a sack or are called for holding or false start. So it's tough to evaluate a single guy unless you REALLY look into it.

Or there are the people that record the games and hone in on specific line players after the game is over for evaluation.

You are being far too harsh on this guy. In the second half of the season he won far more battles than he lost. The duel with Chris Long was not a blight on his overall progress. You have to remember, Long was drafted as a "can't miss, top of the draft" player, and he has lived up to his billing this season after a fairly typical rookie year. Where he beat Davis was on power rushes, something Davis will improve upon.

A player does not reach full growth and strength until they are 24-26. Davis was only 20 at the start of the season. He was the second youngest player in the league, IIRC. Age alone was a serious handicap in a position that demands strength as well as athleticism.

Where Davis did show his draft pedigree was against speed rushers. He handled those very well in the second half of the year. That is a big plus for him as you can get stronger but you don't develop quicker feet. He has the quick feet. With a year in the weight room and better coaching, he will be just fine next season.

[ Edited by dj43 on Feb 1, 2011 at 21:56:15 ]
A. Davis is a bust

lol what niner season did you watch? man he did damn good towards the end. Tackle is one of the hardest positions to play. He dominated in both Arizona games, shut down Mathews.
A. Davis is a bust

He got off to a very rocky start, in part because of an inexperienced center and poor play by Rachal. As the season progressed he got much better. He controlled speed rushers very well - pitched a shut out against Clay Matthews. Still struggled against power rushers but some focused time in the weight room should tone him up and solve that problem.

Overall, he played about the way a lot of first round OL play. Joe Thomas had the same kind of first year. So did Jake Long and a bunch of others.

Unless you're an all-star lineman, the only time you hear about offensive linemen on telecasts is when they give up a sack or are called for holding or false start. So it's tough to evaluate a single guy unless you REALLY look into it.

Or there are the people that record the games and hone in on specific line players after the game is over for evaluation.

You are being far too harsh on this guy. In the second half of the season he won far more battles than he lost. The duel with Chris Long was not blight on his overall progress. He have to remember, Long was drafted as a "can't miss, top of the draft" player, and he has lived up to his billing this season after a fairly typical rookie year. Where he beat Davis was on power rushes, something Davis will improve upon.

A player does not reach full growth and strength until they are 24-26. Davis was only 20 at the start of the season. He was the second youngest player in the league, IIRC. Age alone was a serious handicap in a position that demands strength as well as athleticism.

Where Davis did show his draft pedigree was against speed rushers. He handled those very well in the second half of the year. That is a big plus for him as you can get stronger but you don't develop quicker feet. He has the quick feet. With a year in the weight room and better coaching, he will be just fine next season.

Great post!! I think he did show major improvement towards the end. He will be good.
Davis was only 20 years old, playing on an island, playing one of the 3 most important positions (CB, QB, and Tackle). He's already a good run blocker. He had a few bad games and a few dominant ones. He even showed a feisty side after getting punched in the nuts.

I still think his upside is greater than T-Rex Bulaga.
  • RKab
  • Veteran
A. Davis is a bust

Its not that tough when the vast majority of penalties and sacks on the line came from the RT.

I'm sure there are more sophisticated ways to break it down but I really don't see how anyone could think Davis was a success or lived up to the #11 pick this year. Especially when guys taken later like Bulaga and Saffold outperformed him.

I hope he gets better. I think it was foolish for them to leave Davis on an island to learn because he got beat a lot. But hopefully he learned something and can mature. He's still very young but his rookie year was Kwame Harris-esque (well at least Harris was a decent run blocker.)
Originally posted by RKab:
A. Davis is a bust

Its not that tough when the vast majority of penalties and sacks on the line came from the RT.

I'm sure there are more sophisticated ways to break it down but I really don't see how anyone could think Davis was a success or lived up to the #11 pick this year. Especially when guys taken later like Bulaga and Saffold outperformed him.

I hope he gets better. I think it was foolish for them to leave Davis on an island to learn because he got beat a lot. But hopefully he learned something and can mature. He's still very young but his rookie year was Kwame Harris-esque (well at least Harris was a decent run blocker.)

The guys who watch the offensive line around the league basically rated Davis and Bulaga evenly. Davis would be getting more love (and Bulaga alot more grief) if they switched teams.

Share 49ersWebzone