Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by baybreaker707:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Sims84:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Why do people keep saying that Alex's 2006 season under Norv was a good one? I hear the same bulls**t: 'He was improving.'

Well no s**t. His rookie year, he had 1 TD and 11 INTs. It's not really that hard to improve off of a season like that.

I remember that Alex looked pretty damn good in 2006...only the first 2-3 games. I still remember those games when he would take shots down the field again and again to Antonio Bryant. Then, for some damn reason, he stopped doing that.

The 2006 year was not a good season. It was merely average. Maybe it was 'good' if you go by Alex's s**tty standards, but not in my book.

So what's your expectation for his second year trying to learn to play qb in the NFL.

What were Matt Ryan's and Joe Flacco's expectations for their 2nd seasons?

'No excuses, just results'

Ryan missed the playoffs with a loaded team and completed the same % of passes in his 2nd year that Alex did

Josh Freeman, Big Ben and Jay Cutler all looked pretty damn good their 2nd year and Freeman was VERY RAW coming out of college.

Add in Michael Vick, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning (since some of yall want to compare Alex to Peyton for some reason ) and Donovan Mcnabb. THEY all had "good" years in their 2nd year in the league. Alex had an AVERAGE season. Nothing more, nothing less

Alex Smith was too. Some people forget that coming out of college he was a project.

This is easy. Joe Montana and Steve Young wouldn't have been successful without Bill Walsh. End Thread!

Aaron Rodgers and Philip Rivers have been successful with McCarthy and Norv Turner. Why couldn't Alex?

1 year with each vs multiple years with each.

Rivers 1st year with Norv Turner in 2007: 3,100 yards 21 TD's 15 INT's 82.1 QB Rating. How come it didn't take him multiple years to become good in a new system?

weren't you the one that said stop comparing Alex Smith to the elite QB's in the league? It's only ok when it proves your point huh. Typical hater double standard.

That is a comparison to show what the VERY NEXT QB Turner had did in his 1st year with him, how is that a hater?

yes but at that point Rivers had already established himself as legit QB in the league. If you want to be technical Rivers numbers went down in Norv Turner's first year. In 2006 (when Norv was the OC for the 49ers so he couldn't have possibly been on to coaching staffs at the same time) Rivers numbers looked like this.

2006 61.7% 3,388 yards 22 TD's 9 INt's and a QB rating of 92.0

What were his numbers under Norv Turner??????

2007 60.2% 3,152 yards 21 TD's 15 INT's and a QB rating of 82.4

Hmmmmmmmmm

They went DOWN and he STILL looked better than Alex in his 1st year under Norv......hmmmmmmm

And how was he "established" It was entering his second year on the field

Because he established himself in the year before Norv Turner went to SD. You are trying to compare an elite QB to Alex Smith which in your eyes is a no no remember.

No I'm not, I am comparing two QB's who stepped on the field for their 2nd season in their 1st year with Norv Turner. How is that so hard to comprehend?

First thing Rivers was not drafted in 2005. It was his 4th season by the time Norv Turner went to the Chargers. so PHAIL!!! Also rivers sat behind Drew Brees for 2 years. Alex Smith was a project coming out of college and was thrown into the starting role before he was ready. So you are saying comparing a QB who has been in the league for going on 4 years to a QB who is going into his second year is an even comparison? Or a QB that threw for over 3000 yards and 22 TD's the year prior to a QB Who threw for 875 yards 1 TD the year before Norv arrived is an even comparison?

^^^This photo is not intended to be taken as a racial slur

First thing, if you knew how to read and comprehend, I said Rivers 2nd YEAR ON THE FIELD, not 2nd year in the league. So he learned one system as he sat behind Drew and then Norv came in and he had to learn Norv's system and he performed BETTER than Alex Smith did.

That is the ONLY comparison between these two because we both know Alex isn't even worthy enough to hold Rivers jock strap after an overtime game in Arizona in September (that means it's scorching hot and a lot of sweat will be on it for those who don't understand) but they both played under Turner, they both played under Turner in the 2nd season ON THE FIELD and Alex looked average AT BEST while Rivers dropped a little bit in the new system but STILL looked better than Alex

The only comparison is that Alex had Norv Turner as an OC and Rivers had him as a HC.

He called the plays and worked with both QB's

one with a proven QB the other with a project QB.

Sorry, one year doesn't mean you are "proven" it just means you had success. If it did, many QB's including Alex would be "proven" to be BAD after one season.

You are not "proven" until you do it consistently and in 2007, Rivers was not proven. In 2009, he was

almost 4000 yards and 22 TD's isn't proving that you are a legit QB in the league? I'm pretty sure he was expected to repeat the next season...in which his performance actually decreased under Norv Turner. Alex Smith at least improved...then again 874 yards and 1 TD is not hard to improve upon. You are comparing Apples to Oranges.

One year is not proving anything and you know it, you just want to try to have your argument makes sense and it doesn't. He had GREAT success his 1st year but that doesn't make him proven at all. Now when you have seasons like that, you are EXPECTED to build on that and get better and his numbers dropped (but were still better than Alex's) but then he put up good numbers again in 2008 and 2009 and 2010 so he proved himself but he was not proven just because of his one year success in 2006

No it makes perfect sense. You are trying to compare a QB who threw for almost 4000 yards to a guy that threw for 874 yards.

New system for both guys under Norv Turner and Alex looked AVERAGE. He didn't look good. Rivers looked good. So don't ever say he looked good under Norv because he didn't, he looked AVERAGE at best

sorry but when you compare it to his rookie season it LOOKED GOOD! OMGZ I SED IT! Are you going to beat me up now?

Like I said comparing a guy that threw for almost 4000 yards to a guy that threw for 874 the previous year is not an even comparison.

It did look good, for ALEX. But there is a double standard when talking about GOOD QB Play. For Alex's standards, it was good and that is a damn shame.

And Why do you keep saying he threw for almost 4,000 yards. He threw for ALMOST 3,400 yards, well short of 4,000 yards
Originally posted by baybreaker707:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Why do people keep saying that Alex's 2006 season under Norv was a good one? I hear the same bulls**t: 'He was improving.'

Well no s**t. His rookie year, he had 1 TD and 11 INTs. It's not really that hard to improve off of a season like that.

I remember that Alex looked pretty damn good in 2006...only the first 2-3 games. I still remember those games when he would take shots down the field again and again to Antonio Bryant. Then, for some damn reason, he stopped doing that.

The 2006 year was not a good season. It was merely average. Maybe it was 'good' if you go by Alex's s**tty standards, but not in my book.

So what's your expectation for his second year trying to learn to play qb in the NFL.

What were Matt Ryan's and Joe Flacco's expectations for their 2nd seasons?

'No excuses, just results'

Ryan missed the playoffs with a loaded team and completed the same % of passes in his 2nd year that Alex did

Josh Freeman, Big Ben and Jay Cutler all looked pretty damn good their 2nd year and Freeman was VERY RAW coming out of college.

Add in Michael Vick, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning (since some of yall want to compare Alex to Peyton for some reason ) and Donovan Mcnabb. THEY all had "good" years in their 2nd year in the league. Alex had an AVERAGE season. Nothing more, nothing less

Alex Smith was too. Some people forget that coming out of college he was a project.

This is easy. Joe Montana and Steve Young wouldn't have been successful without Bill Walsh. End Thread!

Aaron Rodgers and Philip Rivers have been successful with McCarthy and Norv Turner. Why couldn't Alex?

1 year with each vs multiple years with each.

Rivers 1st year with Norv Turner in 2007: 3,100 yards 21 TD's 15 INT's 82.1 QB Rating. How come it didn't take him multiple years to become good in a new system?

weren't you the one that said stop comparing Alex Smith to the elite QB's in the league? It's only ok when it proves your point huh. Typical hater double standard.

That is a comparison to show what the VERY NEXT QB Turner had did in his 1st year with him, how is that a hater?

yes but at that point Rivers had already established himself as legit QB in the league. If you want to be technical Rivers numbers went down in Norv Turner's first year. In 2006 (when Norv was the OC for the 49ers so he couldn't have possibly been on to coaching staffs at the same time) Rivers numbers looked like this.

2006 61.7% 3,388 yards 22 TD's 9 INt's and a QB rating of 92.0

What were his numbers under Norv Turner??????

2007 60.2% 3,152 yards 21 TD's 15 INT's and a QB rating of 82.4

Hmmmmmmmmm

They went DOWN and he STILL looked better than Alex in his 1st year under Norv......hmmmmmmm

And how was he "established" It was entering his second year on the field

Because he established himself in the year before Norv Turner went to SD. You are trying to compare an elite QB to Alex Smith which in your eyes is a no no remember.

No I'm not, I am comparing two QB's who stepped on the field for their 2nd season in their 1st year with Norv Turner. How is that so hard to comprehend?

First thing Rivers was not drafted in 2005. It was his 4th season by the time Norv Turner went to the Chargers. so PHAIL!!! Also rivers sat behind Drew Brees for 2 years. Alex Smith was a project coming out of college and was thrown into the starting role before he was ready. So you are saying comparing a QB who has been in the league for going on 4 years to a QB who is going into his second year is an even comparison? Or a QB that threw for over 3000 yards and 22 TD's the year prior to a QB Who threw for 875 yards 1 TD the year before Norv arrived is an even comparison?

^^^This photo is not intended to be taken as a racial slur

First thing, if you knew how to read and comprehend, I said Rivers 2nd YEAR ON THE FIELD, not 2nd year in the league. So he learned one system as he sat behind Drew and then Norv came in and he had to learn Norv's system and he performed BETTER than Alex Smith did.

That is the ONLY comparison between these two because we both know Alex isn't even worthy enough to hold Rivers jock strap after an overtime game in Arizona in September (that means it's scorching hot and a lot of sweat will be on it for those who don't understand) but they both played under Turner, they both played under Turner in the 2nd season ON THE FIELD and Alex looked average AT BEST while Rivers dropped a little bit in the new system but STILL looked better than Alex

The only comparison is that Alex had Norv Turner as an OC and Rivers had him as a HC.

He called the plays and worked with both QB's

one with a proven QB the other with a project QB.

Sorry, one year doesn't mean you are "proven" it just means you had success. If it did, many QB's including Alex would be "proven" to be BAD after one season.

You are not "proven" until you do it consistently and in 2007, Rivers was not proven. In 2009, he was

almost 4000 yards and 22 TD's isn't proving that you are a legit QB in the league? I'm pretty sure he was expected to repeat the next season...in which his performance actually decreased under Norv Turner. Alex Smith at least improved...then again 874 yards and 1 TD is not hard to improve upon. You are comparing Apples to Oranges.

One year is not proving anything and you know it, you just want to try to have your argument makes sense and it doesn't. He had GREAT success his 1st year but that doesn't make him proven at all. Now when you have seasons like that, you are EXPECTED to build on that and get better and his numbers dropped (but were still better than Alex's) but then he put up good numbers again in 2008 and 2009 and 2010 so he proved himself but he was not proven just because of his one year success in 2006

No it makes perfect sense. You are trying to compare a QB who threw for almost 4000 yards to a guy that threw for 874 yards.

New system for both guys under Norv Turner and Alex looked AVERAGE. He didn't look good. Rivers looked good. So don't ever say he looked good under Norv because he didn't, he looked AVERAGE at best

sorry but when you compare it to his rookie season it LOOKED GOOD! OMGZ I SED IT! Are you going to beat me up now?

Like I said comparing a guy that threw for almost 4000 yards to a guy that threw for 874 the previous year is not an even comparison.

It did look good, for ALEX. But there is a double standard when talking about GOOD QB Play. For Alex's standards, it was good and that is a damn shame.

And Why do you keep saying he threw for almost 4,000 yards. He threw for ALMOST 3,400 yards, well short of 4,000 yards

I had the numbers switched. For some reason I was thinking it was 3,883 not 3,388.

If that is how you want to take it then there is a double standard on both sides (haters and realists)

I had the numbers switched. For some reason I was thinking it was 3,883 not 3,388.

If that is how you want to take it then there is a double standard on both sides (realist and lovers)

FIXED

your welcome
Just once I'd like to see a hater agree with a point from the lovers.

Just once I'd like to see a lover agree with one of the haters.

It's like republicans and democrats. Each side has their own talking points, and everyone disagrees with everybody.

Stats do not tell you everything. Roethlisberger had terrible stats in the AFC championship gaem, yet he produced when he had to!

If Alex decides to stay, he´ll get the legitimate second chance of working with a QB guru.
It´s unfortunate that the niners were´nt able to get someone in 07...

If that is how you want to take it then there is a double standard on both sides (people who know nothing about fooball and the ones who realize that not everything is Alex Smith's fault. )

FIXED

your welcome

at least you realize the truth.

It's like republicans and democrats. Each side has their own talking points, and everyone disagrees with everybody.

I've agreed with some of the points the haters have presented. The same can not be said about the opposite side. It would take a logical thinker for that.

If that is how you want to take it then there is a double standard on both sides (people who know a lot about fooball and the ones who realize that not everything is Alex Smith's fault but a lot of the things are. )

FIXED

your welcome

at least I realize the truth.

Cool

If that is how you want to take it then there is a double standard on both sides (Backontop is the smartest guy on this forum)

FIXED

your welcome

Cool

tell me about it.

If that is how you want to take it then there is a double standard on both sides (Backontop is the smartest guy on this forum not named Sims84 )

FIXED

your welcome

Cool

tell me about it.

I don't have to man, you already know

[ Edited by Sims84 on Feb 2, 2011 at 04:31:43 ]

I've agreed with some of the points the haters have presented. The same can not be said about the opposite side. It would take a logical thinker for that.

Yes, you are so above the rest of us with your vast football knowledge.

The people that can see what Alex really is (aka haters) have no knowledge at all... they merely can spell NFL and consider themselves a football scholar. So, us haters have a choice... to believe you or our lying eyes.

LB
Originally posted by leebert81:

Yes, you are so above the rest of us with your vast football knowledge.

The people that can see what Alex really is (aka haters) have no knowledge at all... they merely can spell NFL and consider themselves a football scholar. So, us haters have a choice... to believe you or our lying eyes.

LB

Has anyone ever change their opinion of Alex during this debates?
Originally posted by TheNaitch:

Yup, I hate him more now.
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
Originally posted by TheNaitch:

Yup, I hate him more now.

LB
Share 49ersWebzone