LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 226 users in the forums

Official Alex Smith Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by miked1978:
If we can't get a veterna QB in free agency than I would be open about bringing Alex back. However I think it's best that for both the 49ers and Alex to part ways.

I have no real problem with Alex Smith. He was thrown into a bad situation with bad coaching from the day he started. When he had good coaching (Norv Turner) he had a decent year. People say he was injury prone but the dude was getting hit a lot.

Alex needs a steady offense in order to be a decent QB and that's as best as he will ever be. Alex is not the future but i would start him over David Carr any day of the week.

Norv Turner (Good Coach) 16 TD's 16 INT's

Jimmy Raye (Bad Coach) 18 TD's 12 INT's

He had his best year under Jimmy Raye in 2009 and then when we brought Jimmy back to give Alex some continuity for the 1st time in his career, he looked like pure TRASH
A lot of people continue to expend emotion and time on a subject which has been seriously done to death here. I don't recall reading anything new on the subject for ages.

You can continue to regurgitate the same old arguments if you like. But the discussion will make no progress, because neither side in the argument knows if Harbaugh can, or wishes to try to, make the difference with Smith.

Fortunately, this one is not our decision.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Sims84:
So let me get this right.

Relax.

Cthulhu is not serious.

• Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
A lot of people continue to expend emotion and time on a subject which has been seriously done to death here. I don't recall reading anything new on the subject for ages.

You can continue to regurgitate the same old arguments if you like. But the discussion will make no progress, because neither side in the argument knows if Harbaugh can, or wishes to try to, make the difference with Smith.

Fortunately, this one is not our decision.

• Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Put down the bong Wodwo you've had enough!

So if Jim Harbaugh comes out and says Alex can be successful in my offense and hes my starter over half the board wouldnt support that. Why the hell even have a coach.

As far as injuries go, we have consistently had one of the worst offensive lines in football. Few could succeed, and as I state many times, we need to sign 1 or 2 vets to compete and draft the QB of the future to groom hopefully.

One guy said Mike Johnson is gone, the point was too point out the improvement under johnson as coordinator and without an off season to install and teach an offense, Alex did pretty well and got better down the stretch. I would think he could only do better with Harbaugh calling the plays and working on his fundamentals a whole off season but thats only if he EARNS the job.

With the CBA in limbo, we might not be able to get a new qb in here in time to teach him an offseason whereas according to reports Harbaugh and Smith are already working together.
Originally posted by mug0mug:
Alex Smith is the top FA QB. We obviously need a QB and can't sign anyone until a CBA is done, other than Alex.

Harbaugh is being smart if he's legitimately considering Alex. If we can't prepare any quarterback to start the next season other than David Carr, a rookie, or Alex Smith, then what other option is there really? He may not be the next Montana, but he has undeniable ability (and has been undeniably flawed) and there is no great 2nd option under the current circumstances.

No, the idiots here should start at QB that will boo and not let our coach do his job.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html
Top Quarterbacks

Peyton Manning (IND) – The Colts have gone on the record insisting that Manning will be made the league’s highest paid player at the conclusion of this season. There’s no need to rush—the interest will be mutual.

Michael Vick (PHI) – How much do the Eagles like Kevin Kolb? Well, they liked him enough to trade Donovan McNabb to the Redskins, but I don’t think they’ll like him enough to let Michael Vick go. Vick still has debts to pay back from his previous trials and settlements, but that will be soon erased. Expect Michael to stay loyal to the only organization that gave him a second chance.

Brett Favre (MIN) – I’ve heard jokes every offseason for the last decade (or so it seems) that Favre will die on the football field before he hangs it up. Bruised and battered, his consecutive starts streak was put to an end and this offseason he’ll be teamless following a less than impressive campaign. Any takers? I doubt he’ll subject himself to the market this year, but come November next year, may he get the itch again?

Seneca Wallace (CLE) – Wallace has often been an underrated quarterback when he gets his opportunities. He maneuvers well in the pocket and can cause problems on the perimeter, but also manages offenses very well. Finding success in both Seattle and Cleveland, he appears to be the most proven back-up quarterback on the market. He may not drum up a lot of attention, but he’ll successfully execute orders when asked to enter the game.

Click Here!
Matt Hasselbeck (SEA) – It’s been four years since Matt Hasselbeck has been a statistically good quarterback when he posted a 91.4 QB Rating in 2007. However, there’s been a clear drop-off in the level of talent on the Seahawks roster since then as well. Hasselbeck may be the best back-up option on the free agent market on a team with talent, like Jon Kitna in Dallas. Though it’s not out of the realm of possibilities, I don’t expect Pete Carroll’s team to re-sign him, but instead go in a younger direction.

Matt Moore (CAR) – The collapse of the Panthers still remains an enigma to me. In the past, the team responded well to Matt Moore at quarterback. He fitted nice passes and protected the football, two things he absolutely didn’t do this year. To top it off, he suffered a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder in November, which won’t allow him to throw until March. He’s played the back-up role well in the past, so it seems that’s what he’s best suited to do.

Alex Smith (SF) – Many often wonder how Alex Smith would have panned out if he had a stable offensive coordinator for his entire career, but he’s been plagued by offensive changes like no other young quarterback. He’s looked okay in short bursts, but hasn’t been able to sustain success. His potential has been eaten and his interest around the league may be miniscule, but he has some talent where he could sit on the bench for a couple years and become a decent veteran back-up. His days in San Francisco, though, are surely numbered.

Matt Leinart (HOU) – Given the Cardinals’ quarterback woes, it sure seems like they made a mistake in cutting Matt Leinart before the regular season, especially given his 78.6 completion percentage this preseason. His biggest problem was his inability, or rather unwillingness to push the ball down the field, which ultimately caused Wisenhunt to pull the plug on Leinart. If he can find a quarterback coach that can get him over the hump, he may still have some value as a starting quarterback. He’s one of the wildcards in this free agent class.

Other Notable Free Agents:
Marc Bulger (BAL)
Todd Collins (CHI)
Caleb Hanie (CHI)
Brady Quinn (DEN)
Drew Stanton (DET)
Trent Edwards (JAC)
Luke McCown (JAC)
Brodie Croyle (KC)
Chad Pennington (MIA)
Tyler Thigpen (MIA)
Tarvaris Jackson (MIN)
Jim Sorgi (NYG)
Kellen Clemens (NYJ)
Kyle Boller (OAK)
Bruce Gradkowski (OAK)
Dennis Dixon (PIT)
Billy Volek (SD)
Troy Smith (SF)
Kerry Collins (TEN)
Rex Grossman (WAS)

I dont really see many players Id consider better than Smith on this list that are obtainable.....
Originally posted by NTeply49:
Why should you support Alex Smith as your starting QB if Harbaugh selects him!

If you think like me, then you believe our passing offense will be more productive, our QBs will throw the ball better, and our offense overall will be better and put up way better numbers(130% more productive) with Harbaugh at the helm than it was with Johnson, and WAY better than Raye.

If you think like me, then you believe a QB needs an entire off season learning a playbook to perform at maximum capacity and an offense should perform better with a full off season practicing the plays they will actually be running versus installing a new offense 3 games into the year. There is a learning curve.

I believe Alex Smith will be back and he will play well. I also dont think he played as bad as the media made him look. Anyways here are some numbers that support why I think Smith deserves one last shot.

Alex Smith finished with a 82.4 QB rating in 2010. Not horrible by any means. Good for 22nd in the league. For this post I broke Smiths season down into 3 parts. The first 3 games with Raye. The first 4 games with Johnson as OC while the team was learning new plays. And the last 4 games he played in.

The 1st 3 games with Jimmy Raye calling the plays the offense was predictable and easily one of the worst many of us have ever seen. Smiths numbers were horrible.

1st 3 games with Raye
72/119 60% 732 Yards 2 TDs 5 INTs 66.2 QB Rating

The following 4 games before Smith was benched in favor of Troy, Smith started to put up decent numbers as the team started learning the new offense before Singletary started to crumble under pressure and hit the panic button to start to Troy Smith era. I also think Smith got hurt in the Carolina game but I dont recall exactly. His numbers were decent.

1st 4 games with Johnson as OC
71/123 57% 822 yards 7 TDs 4 INTs 83.45 QB Rating

Now for the last 4 games of the season, well lets just say if all you could do was look at the QB rating there wouldnt be any arguments on this subject.

Last 4 games with Johnson as OC
61/100 61% 816 yards 5 TDs 1 INTs 99.41 QB Rating

This was the year Alex Smith started to blossom this year after we got rid of Jimmy Raye. If you disclude the games with Raye as coordinator his stats would have looked like this.

Season with Johnson as OC
132/223 59% 1638 yards 12 TDs 5 INTs 90.6 QB rating

A 90.6 QB rating would have been good for 6th in NFL right above Joe Flacco at 90.0. Take those last 8 games of stats and double them to see what his stats could have looked like with a full season of Mike Johnson calling the plays.

What Smiths stats could have looked like with a full season with Johnson as OC
264/446 59% 3276 yards 24 TDs 10 INTs 90.6 Rating

Not only that, in the redzone, the smallest part of the field to work with, he had the best QB rating in the NFL at 124.4. The only other 2 that were close were Peyton Manning at 105.9 and Drew Brees at 92.3. To me, this shows me he is capable run a west coast system and make good decisions because a west coast system emphasizes short quick passes and run after the catch. If Crabtree and Ginn don't drop the ball his numbers would have been even better.

Ive been an avid supporter of Smith, and I've taken the time to break down these stats and calculate Qb ratings using http://brucey.net/nflab/statistics/qb_rating.html to try and show you why you should too.

Do you still want Smith gone after seeing these numbers? How could you give up now after hes finally starting to turn the corner? Weve waited this long, are we really going to throw in the towel and let another team pick him up and reap the benefits of 6 years of our suffering? How dissapointed would you be if we released him and he won a Super Bowl or even just made the Pro Bowl? Whats the harm in resigning him and giving him an opportunity to compete for the job?

A lot of fans need to open their eyes, eliminate emotion, and look at this situation more rationally.

In light of these numbers, would you support him if he stays?

(Dear Mods - I decided to post this as its own topic since I put so much time into it but I understand there are enough Alex Smith threads out there. However I do not think there has been one as analytical of the numbers as mine, and people need to see these numbers before blindly hating him and running him out of town. If this was an inappropriate topic please delete and I'm sorry in advance. Thank you)

there will be no full offseason for learning unless the cba negotiations heat up real quick.

Alex sucked in a WCO. remember his first season under McCarthy.

Alex sucks at short passes. consistantly over throws swing routes to rb's and is too late making quick slants.

I was one of the biggest Alex supporters but I believe it is time to move on man BUT
if Harbaugh wants a crack at it....i say give him one season. With no off-season and all of the changes we r gonna have we r gonna suck next year anyways.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html
Top Quarterbacks

Peyton Manning (IND) – The Colts have gone on the record insisting that Manning will be made the league’s highest paid player at the conclusion of this season. There’s no need to rush—the interest will be mutual.

Michael Vick (PHI) – How much do the Eagles like Kevin Kolb? Well, they liked him enough to trade Donovan McNabb to the Redskins, but I don’t think they’ll like him enough to let Michael Vick go. Vick still has debts to pay back from his previous trials and settlements, but that will be soon erased. Expect Michael to stay loyal to the only organization that gave him a second chance.

Brett Favre (MIN) – I’ve heard jokes every offseason for the last decade (or so it seems) that Favre will die on the football field before he hangs it up. Bruised and battered, his consecutive starts streak was put to an end and this offseason he’ll be teamless following a less than impressive campaign. Any takers? I doubt he’ll subject himself to the market this year, but come November next year, may he get the itch again?

Seneca Wallace (CLE) – Wallace has often been an underrated quarterback when he gets his opportunities. He maneuvers well in the pocket and can cause problems on the perimeter, but also manages offenses very well. Finding success in both Seattle and Cleveland, he appears to be the most proven back-up quarterback on the market. He may not drum up a lot of attention, but he’ll successfully execute orders when asked to enter the game.

Click Here!
Matt Hasselbeck (SEA) – It’s been four years since Matt Hasselbeck has been a statistically good quarterback when he posted a 91.4 QB Rating in 2007. However, there’s been a clear drop-off in the level of talent on the Seahawks roster since then as well. Hasselbeck may be the best back-up option on the free agent market on a team with talent, like Jon Kitna in Dallas. Though it’s not out of the realm of possibilities, I don’t expect Pete Carroll’s team to re-sign him, but instead go in a younger direction.

Matt Moore (CAR) – The collapse of the Panthers still remains an enigma to me. In the past, the team responded well to Matt Moore at quarterback. He fitted nice passes and protected the football, two things he absolutely didn’t do this year. To top it off, he suffered a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder in November, which won’t allow him to throw until March. He’s played the back-up role well in the past, so it seems that’s what he’s best suited to do.

Alex Smith (SF) – Many often wonder how Alex Smith would have panned out if he had a stable offensive coordinator for his entire career, but he’s been plagued by offensive changes like no other young quarterback. He’s looked okay in short bursts, but hasn’t been able to sustain success. His potential has been eaten and his interest around the league may be miniscule, but he has some talent where he could sit on the bench for a couple years and become a decent veteran back-up. His days in San Francisco, though, are surely numbered.

Matt Leinart (HOU) – Given the Cardinals’ quarterback woes, it sure seems like they made a mistake in cutting Matt Leinart before the regular season, especially given his 78.6 completion percentage this preseason. His biggest problem was his inability, or rather unwillingness to push the ball down the field, which ultimately caused Wisenhunt to pull the plug on Leinart. If he can find a quarterback coach that can get him over the hump, he may still have some value as a starting quarterback. He’s one of the wildcards in this free agent class.

Other Notable Free Agents:
Marc Bulger (BAL)
Todd Collins (CHI)
Caleb Hanie (CHI)
Brady Quinn (DEN)
Drew Stanton (DET)
Trent Edwards (JAC)
Luke McCown (JAC)
Brodie Croyle (KC)
Chad Pennington (MIA)
Tyler Thigpen (MIA)
Tarvaris Jackson (MIN)
Jim Sorgi (NYG)
Kellen Clemens (NYJ)
Kyle Boller (OAK)
Bruce Gradkowski (OAK)
Dennis Dixon (PIT)
Billy Volek (SD)
Troy Smith (SF)
Kerry Collins (TEN)
Rex Grossman (WAS)

I dont really see many players Id consider better than Smith on this list that are obtainable.....

Originally posted by mug0mug:
Alex Smith is the top FA QB. We obviously need a QB and can't sign anyone until a CBA is done, other than Alex.

Harbaugh is being smart if he's legitimately considering Alex. If we can't prepare any quarterback to start the next season other than David Carr, a rookie, or Alex Smith, then what other option is there really? He may not be the next Montana, but he has undeniable ability (and has been undeniably flawed) and there is no great 2nd option under the current circumstances.

No, the idiots here should start at QB that will boo and not let our coach do his job.

Help him Wodwo... I fear your Cthulhu has devoured his sanity!

[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Jan 28, 2011 at 05:41:54 ]
Originally posted by brucesf49:

If you think like me, then you believe our passing offense will be more productive, our QBs will throw the ball better, and our offense overall will be better and put up way better numbers(130% more productive) with Harbaugh at the helm than it was with Johnson, and WAY better than Raye.

If you think like me, then you believe a QB needs an entire off season learning a playbook to perform at maximum capacity and an offense should perform better with a full off season practicing the plays they will actually be running versus installing a new offense 3 games into the year. There is a learning curve.

I believe Alex Smith will be back and he will play well. I also dont think he played as bad as the media made him look. Anyways here are some numbers that support why I think Smith deserves one last shot.

Alex Smith finished with a 82.4 QB rating in 2010. Not horrible by any means. Good for 22nd in the league. For this post I broke Smiths season down into 3 parts. The first 3 games with Raye. The first 4 games with Johnson as OC while the team was learning new plays. And the last 4 games he played in.

The 1st 3 games with Jimmy Raye calling the plays the offense was predictable and easily one of the worst many of us have ever seen. Smiths numbers were horrible.

1st 3 games with Raye

The following 4 games before Smith was benched in favor of Troy, Smith started to put up decent numbers as the team started learning the new offense before Singletary started to crumble under pressure and hit the panic button to start to Troy Smith era. I also think Smith got hurt in the Carolina game but I dont recall exactly. His numbers were decent.

Now for the last 4 games of the season, well lets just say if all you could do was look at the QB rating there wouldnt be any arguments on this subject.

This was the year Alex Smith started to blossom this year after we got rid of Jimmy Raye. If you disclude the games with Raye as coordinator his stats would have looked like this.

A 90.6 QB rating would have been good for 6th in NFL right above Joe Flacco at 90.0. Take those last 8 games of stats and double them to see what his stats could have looked like with a full season of Mike Johnson calling the plays.

Not only that, in the redzone, the smallest part of the field to work with, he had the best QB rating in the NFL at 124.4. The only other 2 that were close were Peyton Manning at 105.9 and Drew Brees at 92.3. To me, this shows me he is capable run a west coast system and make good decisions because a west coast system emphasizes short quick passes and run after the catch. If Crabtree and Ginn don't drop the ball his numbers would have been even better.

Ive been an avid supporter of Smith, and I've taken the time to break down these stats and calculate Qb ratings using http://brucey.net/nflab/statistics/qb_rating.html to try and show you why you should too.

Do you still want Smith gone after seeing these numbers? How could you give up now after hes finally starting to turn the corner? Weve waited this long, are we really going to throw in the towel and let another team pick him up and reap the benefits of 6 years of our suffering? How dissapointed would you be if we released him and he won a Super Bowl or even just made the Pro Bowl? Whats the harm in resigning him and giving him an opportunity to compete for the job?

A lot of fans need to open their eyes, eliminate emotion, and look at this situation more rationally.

(Dear Mods - I decided to post this as its own topic since I put so much time into it but I understand there are enough Alex Smith threads out there. However I do not think there has been one as analytical of the numbers as mine, and people need to see these numbers before blindly hating him and running him out of town. If this was an inappropriate topic please delete and I'm sorry in advance. Thank you)

there will be no full offseason for learning unless the cba negotiations heat up real quick.

Alex sucks at short passes. consistantly over throws swing routes to rb's and is too late making quick slants.

I was one of the biggest Alex supporters but I believe it is time to move on man BUT
if Harbaugh wants a crack at it....i say give him one season. With no off-season and all of the changes we r gonna have we r gonna suck next year anyways.

That was one of the worst teams ever Peyton himself couldnt have won a game with that team. At the same time this post is IF Harbaugh supports Alex you should too and heres some numbers to show you that he has been making progress.
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by Wodwo:

Originally posted by calniners408:

i could be wrong but he did good under turner atleast a humungous difference after rookie year. turner left. then under marts game 3 keep in mind 2-1 he got injured.... and needed surgery. so your argument here would be disreguarded. if im wrong.... ehh

Well, you are wrong actually because Norv Turner left prior to the 2007 season in which we had Hostler take over the OC duties. Alex never saw the field in 2008 with Martz as the OC. Sullivan and Hill played instead of him, take that for what it's worth

Yeah, he was wrong... Martz was the OC in 2008, not 2007.

To avoid further confusion, you should have mentioned that Alex Smith was also on IR during the entire 2008 season.

Yes, you can put that in there AFTER you say he was already beat out in Training camp and Pre-season by O'Sullivan.

He was placed on IR on September 10th when the season started after the off-season (where the position battles are won and lost).

I was just clarifying the injury issue. Alex Smith was on injured reserve for the entire 2008 season.

If you want to bring up the decisions made by the coaches, we all know how that turned out, don't we?

Yeah... Martz made a mistake.

Oops.

It just strikes me as odd when Martz is known as an Offensive Genius but when it comes to thinking O'Sullivan can run his offense better than Alex can, he is clueless. Any other time though, he is a genius

It never fails

Martz also said that JTO was the best QB he has ever been around.......what team is JTO starting for again?

Remember also that O'Sullivan came here with Martz from Detroit and had prior knowledge of his system.

1st 3 games with Raye

That was one of the worst teams ever Peyton himself couldnt have won a game with that team. At the same time this post is IF Harbaugh supports Alex you should too and heres some numbers to show you that he has been making progress.

But those numbers are a little skewed because Alex RARELY EVER plays good against "GOOD" teams and those 1st 5 games were all tough. He had 3 turnovers alone vs Philly and it wasn't until he was benched before he got up and added two more meaningless TD's.

The next "good" team he actually played was San Diego and he, as well as the rest of the team didn't do squat but he did have yet ANOTHER turnover against that "good" team so there is no telling what he could or would have done with a full season under Johnson.

Going off of facts (he sucks against good teams) he would of still faltered in those 1st 5 games one way or another

1st 3 games with Raye

No offense, but this is probably the worst thread I've seen in the history of NT.

Redundant... beaten to death... and completely wrong.

Makes me want to go
Share 49ersWebzone