LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

Official Alex Smith Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by Sims84:

Martz saw O'Sullivan had a lightning quick release (something Martz cherishes), fairly accurate (In practice of course) and athletic, PLUS he knew his system.

Come game time, O'Sullivan held on to the ball way too long and made bad decisions when faced with pressure

Martzcuses.

Genius made a mistake.

Oops.

Fact remains, Smith was beat out by O'Sullivan and Hill in back to back seasons and then was HANDED the job by Singletary and faltered when expectations were high
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by backontop:

So you are saying that Singletary and Martz are on the same level when it comes to evaluating, developing and implementing an offense? I hear your type if sanity is in....insanity

yea yea I know stupid joke.

Shh... I was agreeing with you.

• Wodwo
  • Veteran

Fact remains, Smith was beat out by O'Sullivan and Hill in back to back seasons and then was HANDED the job by Singletary and faltered when expectations were high

Just because the coaches make a decision, it doesn't mean they are right.

All three decisions were mistakes.

Oops.

Originally posted by Wodwo:

Just because the coaches make a decision, it doesn't mean they are right.

All three decisions were mistakes.

Oops.

And it would be a MISTAKE to keep him on the team for another year
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
1. Mike Johnson ain't here no more. That throws a lot of your Mike Johnson numbers out the windy.

2. The 49ers are 19-31 in games started by Alex. I'm not cherry picking any one period of his career. Just giving the full info. 19-31.

3. He is INJURY PRONE. Injured in '05, most all of '07, ALL of '08, some of '10. Cannot be relied upon to play all 16 as he has done that once in 6 years.

4. The main argument for Alex is he NEEDS OC CONTINUITY. Well, then why did he REGRESS his 2nd year with Raye? Also, if he needs this continuity, he WILL struggle in '11 to pick up the system. Your basically throwing away '11 so that Alex 'might' get it in '12 .

5. He's Captain Checkdown. He does not read defenses. He looks at one guy and if it's not there, he checks it down. This is why Gore is often our leading WR.

6. He's not a natural leader. Players responded a lot more to Troy than Alex. A lot of the locker room does not like Alex and does not play hard for him.

1. Johnson is gone but we have a solid HC who will be calling the plays as well as a solid OC in place.

2. The 49ers are 19-31 when running an offense with a crappy HC who doesn't have a clue about the offensive side of the ball and an overrated defense.

3. I agree with this

4. 2011 is going to be out the window either way. More than likely there will be a lockout which means no OTA's and possibly no TC. One thing that Alex Smith has shown is his ability to deal with and adapt to a new playbook. He has experience in just about every offense out there known to man thanks to having 6 different OC's in his career. While he won't be a master of the offense like he wants to be that doesn't change the fact that he is already used to it by now.

5. Captain Checkdown? Let me guess a little nickname you gave him from this season? Let's seeeee I seem to remember an article that said that players played scared under Singletary. This would include a QB who is doing what the HC wants. Not take risks and take what the defense gives him. Huh last time I checked that needs the ability to read defenses. Gore is often the leading receiver because our OLine is so horrible that Alex doesn't have a lot of time to wait for the plays to develop and has to get rid of the ball. Now who would be already in a position to catch the ball? Oh Oh I know! The RB who just so happens to be Frank Gore...the same Frank Gore that both Nolan and Singletary wanted to focus the offense around. Sorry but there will never be a successful offense focused on a RB.

6. This is all pure speculation. Yes Alex Smith is not a vocal leader. That just isn't his personality he isn't going to go around screaming and yelling at people. He tries to lead by example (honestly the best form of a leader IMO) Show me proof the the players did not like Alex Smith?????

1. As much as I like Harbaugh, how has he proved that he can be succesful at the NFL level? So to say that we ALREADY have a solid guy calling the plays is a reach. Wait until he PROVES he can be successful before we crown him.

2. The same team and coaching staff Shaun Hill posted a 10-6 record with?

3. There is no arguing this one although I think Alex is very tough, he just so happens to be injury prone

4. 2011 is not a waste just because of the division we play in so the best bet is to bring someone in who has RECENT success in a WCO, not a guy who had AVERAGE at best success 4-5 years ago.

5. The O-line is up for debate. They were ranked pretty low this year (27) but how many of those sacks they allowed came from Troy Smith holding the ball too long? Quite a bit if I'm not mistaken so to say Alex never had any time but Troy holds the ball too long is bogus as well

6. you are right. There are different kind of leaders but how is Alex a leader that leads by example when he is just an average player? Who the hell wants to follow that? Patrick Willis leads by example, Justin Smith leads by example, Brian Westbrook has always led by example. Alex Smith is not vocal AND he is only an average player AT BEST so how is he a leader?

1. While yes Harbaugh is unproven he is already an upgrade over anyone we have had in the past 8 years. He actually surrounded himself with a great coaching staff

2. For some reason the receivers have a hard time catching passes from Alex Smith. Either they make no attempt at actually catching it or the dumb ass rockets the pass as hard as he can and they drop it. Hill doesn't have the ability....everything just comes down like a punt.

3. stop arguing with me about not arguing with me!

4. There is no guarantee that the division will be as weak as it was this year. The Rams should continue to improve as well as the Seacocks and Retards if they can get a QB to throw the ball to Fitz.

5. The reason why Alex Smith wasn't sacked as much as Troy wasn't only due to Troy holding the ball to long. It was the fact that Alex knew where his safety valve was at all times. hence the nickname "Captain Checkdown"

6. Read again, I said TRIES!!! to lead by example.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

And it would be a MISTAKE to keep him on the team for another year

Uh-oh....

Now you went and did it.

1. Mike Johnson ain't here no more. That throws a lot of your Mike Johnson numbers out the windy.

2. The 49ers are 19-31 in games started by Alex. I'm not cherry picking any one period of his career. Just giving the full info. 19-31.

3. He is INJURY PRONE. Injured in '05, most all of '07, ALL of '08, some of '10. Cannot be relied upon to play all 16 as he has done that once in 6 years.

4. The main argument for Alex is he NEEDS OC CONTINUITY. Well, then why did he REGRESS his 2nd year with Raye? Also, if he needs this continuity, he WILL struggle in '11 to pick up the system. Your basically throwing away '11 so that Alex 'might' get it in '12 .

5. He's Captain Checkdown. He does not read defenses. He looks at one guy and if it's not there, he checks it down. This is why Gore is often our leading WR.

6. He's not a natural leader. Players responded a lot more to Troy than Alex. A lot of the locker room does not like Alex and does not play hard for him.

1. Johnson is gone but we have a solid HC who will be calling the plays as well as a solid OC in place.

2. The 49ers are 19-31 when running an offense with a crappy HC who doesn't have a clue about the offensive side of the ball and an overrated defense.

3. I agree with this

4. 2011 is going to be out the window either way. More than likely there will be a lockout which means no OTA's and possibly no TC. One thing that Alex Smith has shown is his ability to deal with and adapt to a new playbook. He has experience in just about every offense out there known to man thanks to having 6 different OC's in his career. While he won't be a master of the offense like he wants to be that doesn't change the fact that he is already used to it by now.

5. Captain Checkdown? Let me guess a little nickname you gave him from this season? Let's seeeee I seem to remember an article that said that players played scared under Singletary. This would include a QB who is doing what the HC wants. Not take risks and take what the defense gives him. Huh last time I checked that needs the ability to read defenses. Gore is often the leading receiver because our OLine is so horrible that Alex doesn't have a lot of time to wait for the plays to develop and has to get rid of the ball. Now who would be already in a position to catch the ball? Oh Oh I know! The RB who just so happens to be Frank Gore...the same Frank Gore that both Nolan and Singletary wanted to focus the offense around. Sorry but there will never be a successful offense focused on a RB.

6. This is all pure speculation. Yes Alex Smith is not a vocal leader. That just isn't his personality he isn't going to go around screaming and yelling at people. He tries to lead by example (honestly the best form of a leader IMO) Show me proof the the players did not like Alex Smith?????

1. As much as I like Harbaugh, how has he proved that he can be succesful at the NFL level? So to say that we ALREADY have a solid guy calling the plays is a reach. Wait until he PROVES he can be successful before we crown him.

3. There is no arguing this one although I think Alex is very tough, he just so happens to be injury prone

4. 2011 is not a waste just because of the division we play in so the best bet is to bring someone in who has RECENT success in a WCO, not a guy who had AVERAGE at best success 4-5 years ago.

5. The O-line is up for debate. They were ranked pretty low this year (27) but how many of those sacks they allowed came from Troy Smith holding the ball too long? Quite a bit if I'm not mistaken so to say Alex never had any time but Troy holds the ball too long is bogus as well

6. you are right. There are different kind of leaders but how is Alex a leader that leads by example when he is just an average player? Who the hell wants to follow that? Patrick Willis leads by example, Justin Smith leads by example, Brian Westbrook has always led by example. Alex Smith is not vocal AND he is only an average player AT BEST so how is he a leader?

1. While yes Harbaugh is unproven he is already an upgrade over anyone we have had in the past 8 years. He actually surrounded himself with a great coaching staff

2. For some reason the receivers have a hard time catching passes from Alex Smith. Either they make no attempt at actually catching it or the dumb ass rockets the pass as hard as he can and they drop it. Hill doesn't have the ability....everything just comes down like a punt.

4. There is no guarantee that the division will be as weak as it was this year. The Rams should continue to improve as well as the Seacocks and Retards if they can get a QB to throw the ball to Fitz.

5. The reason why Alex Smith wasn't sacked as much as Troy wasn't only due to Troy holding the ball to long. It was the fact that Alex knew where his safety valve was at all times. hence the nickname "Captain Checkdown"

1. Yes, he is an upgrade...on paper. Just like Spurrier was an "upgrade" for Washington's offense. Nobody knows how the draft will even go with Baalke and Jim but one can only hope. The verdict is still out

2. Alex has ZERO touch on his passes and he is not very accurate so I'd imagine it would be tougher to catch passes from a guy throwing like that.

3. Enough said

4. We also should be better. Even without a CBA, we will go into the season more talented than our division foes, it will be up to US to do something with it.

5. He has always known where his safety valve is which is why he has ALWAYS dumped it off to the running backs. For a "cautious guy", he sure does have a lot of INT's which tells me the times he is NOT cautious (with a few exceptions) he makes quite a bit of mistakes. that is not something I want in my QB, don't know about you

6. I read it, now read mine, he is NOT a leader. You can TRY all you want but if you aren't producing, then you are NOT "whatever it is you are TRYING to do".
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
We're all screwed.

3. I agree with this

1. Yes, he is an upgrade...on paper. Just like Spurrier was an "upgrade" for Washington's offense. Nobody knows how the draft will even go with Baalke and Jim but one can only hope. The verdict is still out

2. Alex has ZERO touch on his passes and he is not very accurate so I'd imagine it would be tougher to catch passes from a guy throwing like that.

3. Enough said

4. We also should be better. Even without a CBA, we will go into the season more talented than our division foes, it will be up to US to do something with it.

5. He has always known where his safety valve is which is why he has ALWAYS dumped it off to the running backs. For a "cautious guy", he sure does have a lot of INT's which tells me the times he is NOT cautious (with a few exceptions) he makes quite a bit of mistakes. that is not something I want in my QB, don't know about you

6. I read it, now read mine, he is NOT a leader. You can TRY all you want but if you aren't producing, then you are NOT "whatever it is you are TRYING to do".

1. I don't think anyone actually thought Spurrier would be successful in the NFL. I know I didn't

2. I agree except he is not to the point that his accuracy makes it to the point the receivers can't catch the ball. All they have to do is actually make an effort. Damn you Morgan and Crabtree!!!!

3. dead horse being beaten

4. your statement assumes that Harbaugh pans out as a HC. We had the superior talent this year as well, how did that turn out?

5. A lot of his INT were not due to poor throws but rather tipped passes.

6. Once again read again, I said TRIES!!!! I can try to be 7 ft tall with a 15 ft penis does that mean it is going to happen?
Put down the bong Wodwo you've had enough!

So let me get this right.

It was a mistake to NOT name Alex the starter in 2008.

Then it was ANOTHER mistake to not name him the starter again in 2009.

Then it was yet ANOTHER mistake to NAME him the starter in 2010.

Damn, can't win for losing huh? Too many mistakes when it comes to Alex, might as well just move on and get rid of the "mistake-filled" decisions regarding this guy.

You would think he has had a pretty easy path to starting. The team has brought in some previous No name scrubs to compete with Alex yet two of them beat him for the starting job (O'Sullivan and Hill), one of them kept him on the bench once he took over and started over him in the most important game of the season (Troy) and the other one was already considered a "bust" when he got to the team (Carr). Not to mention the signing of his great mentor Trent Dilfer.

The team has OBVIOUSLY tried to do whatever it takes to get Alex to be the man by building the offense around him (Pro Bowl Running Back, Pro Bowl TE, 3 1st round O lineman, two 2nd round O lineman, top 10 WR draft pick who happened to be considered the Best Player in the draft by some scouts) while bringing in SCRUBS for him to compete with but...... to no avail

Damn, can't win for losing huh? Too many mistakes when it comes to Alex, might as well just move on and get rid of the "mistake-filled" decisions regarding this guy.

You would think he has had a pretty easy path to starting. The team has brought in some previous No name scrubs to compete with Alex yet two of them beat him for the starting job (O'Sullivan and Hill), one of them kept him on the bench once he took over and started over him in the most important game of the season (Troy) and the other one was already considered a "bust" when he got to the team (Carr). Not to mention the signing of his great mentor Trent Dilfer.

The team has OBVIOUSLY tried to do whatever it takes to get Alex to be the man by building the offense around him (Pro Bowl Running Back, Pro Bowl TE, 3 1st round O lineman, two 2nd round O lineman, top 10 WR draft pick who happened to be considered the Best Player in the draft by some scouts) while bringing in SCRUBS for him to compete with but...... to no avail

Not to mention brilliant coaches: Norv Turner, Mike McCarthy, Mike Martz. All three have either won Super Bowl rings or have head coached teams to the Super Bowl. You cannot say the 49ers did not give Smith the opportunity to succeed.

3. I agree with this

3. Enough said

1. I don't think anyone actually thought Spurrier would be successful in the NFL. I know I didn't

2. I agree except he is not to the point that his accuracy makes it to the point the receivers can't catch the ball. All they have to do is actually make an effort. Damn you Morgan and Crabtree!!!!

3. dead horse being beaten

4. your statement assumes that Harbaugh pans out as a HC. We had the superior talent this year as well, how did that turn out?

5. A lot of his INT were not due to poor throws but rather tipped passes.

6. Once again read again, I said TRIES!!!! I can try to be 7 ft tall with a 15 ft penis does that mean it is going to happen?

1. I personally didn't think so but he was an offensive genius in college

2. So they made an effort for Hill but didn't make an effort this guy you say is TRYING to be a leader? Doesn't sound too promising

3. yup

4. I am stating that we have the better talent in our division and if we can't add more from Free Agency due to the CBA , that means we STILL have the better talent PLUS we pick before the two teams that finished better than us AND we have more picks to add players so to think that we won't continue to have the better team next year is beyond me. Now we must add a QB that can be better than average as well as a few pieces on defense.

5. "A lot"? really? How many of his 53 INT's were tipped? He had SOME this season and a couple last season but to say "A LOT" is a little bit of an exaggeration unless you can provide the proof. I'd say he has definitely had some bad luck with the tips, no doubt about it but they all weren't accurate passes that were tipped either. Some were (Crabtree vs Seahawks) some weren't (Gore vs Saints, Crabtree vs Chiefs)

6. That is cool that you TRY but the fact remains, he is NOT. He tries to successful but he is not. He TRIES to be a winner but he is NOT. It is known that he isn't vocal and I agree, the best leader is one who leads by example and he is not that either so what is he? a "TRY'er"? I'd much rather have an actual leader

Not to mention brilliant coaches: Norv Turner, Mike McCarthy, Mike Martz. All three have either won Super Bowl rings or have head coached teams to the Super Bowl. You cannot say the 49ers did not give Smith the opportunity to succeed.

I don't know what else there is to do. It can't be "well Harbaugh is here so Alex will be good" because Alex will still have to learn......wait....say it aint so? ANOTHER PLAYBOOK???? But, how can you expect him to succeed with 6 offensive coordinators? Now all of the sudden, he will have success in his 7TH playbook??? Or was that just an excuse?
If we can't get a veterna QB in free agency than I would be open about bringing Alex back. However I think it's best that for both the 49ers and Alex to part ways.

I have no real problem with Alex Smith. He was thrown into a bad situation with bad coaching from the day he started. When he had good coaching (Norv Turner) he had a decent year. People say he was injury prone but the dude was getting hit a lot.

Alex needs a steady offense in order to be a decent QB and that's as best as he will ever be. Alex is not the future but i would start him over David Carr any day of the week.
Share 49ersWebzone