Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Sims84:
Originally posted by Wodwo:

Originally posted by calniners408:

i could be wrong but he did good under turner atleast a humungous difference after rookie year. turner left. then under marts game 3 keep in mind 2-1 he got injured.... and needed surgery. so your argument here would be disreguarded. if im wrong.... ehh

Well, you are wrong actually because Norv Turner left prior to the 2007 season in which we had Hostler take over the OC duties. Alex never saw the field in 2008 with Martz as the OC. Sullivan and Hill played instead of him, take that for what it's worth

Yeah, he was wrong... Martz was the OC in 2008, not 2007.

To avoid further confusion, you should have mentioned that Alex Smith was also on IR during the entire 2008 season.

Yes, you can put that in there AFTER you say he was already beat out in Training camp and Pre-season by O'Sullivan.

He was placed on IR on September 10th when the season started after the off-season (where the position battles are won and lost).

I was just clarifying the injury issue. Alex Smith was on injured reserve for the entire 2008 season.

If you want to bring up the decisions made by the coaches, we all know how that turned out, don't we?

Yeah... Martz made a mistake.

Oops.

It just strikes me as odd when Martz is known as an Offensive Genius but when it comes to thinking O'Sullivan can run his offense better than Alex can, he is clueless. Any other time though, he is a genius

It never fails

Martz also said that JTO was the best QB he has ever been around.......what team is JTO starting for again?

Singletary said Alex was his guy. What team is he a Head Coach for again?

i could be wrong but he did good under turner atleast a humungous difference after rookie year. turner left. then under marts game 3 keep in mind 2-1 he got injured.... and needed surgery. so your argument here would be disreguarded. if im wrong.... ehh

Well, you are wrong actually because Norv Turner left prior to the 2007 season in which we had Hostler take over the OC duties. Alex never saw the field in 2008 with Martz as the OC. Sullivan and Hill played instead of him, take that for what it's worth

To avoid further confusion, you should have mentioned that Alex Smith was also on IR during the entire 2008 season.

Yes, you can put that in there AFTER you say he was already beat out in Training camp and Pre-season by O'Sullivan.

He was placed on IR on September 10th when the season started after the off-season (where the position battles are won and lost).

I was just clarifying the injury issue. Alex Smith was on injured reserve for the entire 2008 season.

If you want to bring up the decisions made by the coaches, we all know how that turned out, don't we?

Oops.

It just strikes me as odd when Martz is known as an Offensive Genius but when it comes to thinking O'Sullivan can run his offense better than Alex can, he is clueless. Any other time though, he is a genius

It never fails

Martz also said that JTO was the best QB he has ever been around.......what team is JTO starting for again?

What does Singletary know about offense? What does Martz know about offense? Oh that's right Singletary doesn't know anything about offense....hell defense at that lol. Martz is supposed to be an offensive genius. Sorry bad example on your part.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

It never fails

Martz made a mistake.

O'Sullivan choked.

Martz should have started Hill.

Oops.

Originally posted by matt49er:
Why the f**k do we need yet ANOTHER ALEX SMITH THREAD???????????

I'm getting so sick of the subject! If you have an Alex Smith opinion use the search function and I'm sure you will see about 5000 results, pick a thread just STOP CREATING NEW ONES FOR THIS TIRED SUBJECT!

we do it so you have something to b***h and complain about. Our job here is done now go away.

Oops.

It never fails

What does Singletary know about offense? What does Martz know about offense? Oh that's right Singletary doesn't know anything about offense....hell defense at that lol. Martz is supposed to be an offensive genius. Sorry bad example on your part.

and Martz knows about offense and he choose the guy who had the better chance at running the show. In other words, he thought more highly of O'Sullivan than he did of Alex so whats that say about Alex?

It never fails

Martz made a mistake.

O'Sullivan choked.

Oops.

Hill was never given a fair chance in the so called competition. Not really sure I would call that "competition" fair at all. It seemed as though Martz had his mind made up once he brought JTO with him.

It never fails

Martz made a mistake.

O'Sullivan choked.

Oops.

Not at first he shouldn't have because Hill didn't look good in practice. Hindsight being 20/20, of course he should have started Hill but when the off-season FIRST kicked off, Hill had no chance with the way he was looking.

It never fails

Martz made a mistake.

O'Sullivan choked.

Oops.

Not at first he shouldn't have because Hill didn't look good in practice. Hindsight being 20/20, of course he should have started Hill but when the off-season FIRST kicked off, Hill had no chance with the way he was looking.

Hill has never looked good in practice. He just isn't a practice guy.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Oops.

It never fails

It never fails

Martz made a mistake.

O'Sullivan choked.

Oops.

Hill has never looked good in practice. He just isn't a practice guy.

He looked LOST and "not good" though. He has never been a practice guy but Martz saw O'Sullivan had a lightning quick release (something Martz cherishes), fairly accurate (In practice of course) and athletic, PLUS he knew his system.

Come game time, O'Sullivan held on to the ball way too long and made bad decisions when faced with pressure but to say Martz didn't know what he was talking about in picking him over the slow release, coming off an injury plaqued season, non accurate, must take a drastic amount of time to be functional in a playbook Alex, is just wrong (I can care less if that is your opinion, fact remains, Alex stood no chance in Martz's eyes and it didn't help that Nolan was the HC)

• Wodwo
  • Veteran

Hill was never given a fair chance in the so called competition. Not really sure I would call that "competition" fair at all. It seemed as though Martz had his mind made up once he brought JTO with him.

Shh... you'll wake the dreamer.

• Wodwo
  • Veteran

Well, if Martz was a genius....

He made a mistake.

Oops.

Oops.

It never fails

So you are saying that Singletary and Martz are on the same level when it comes to evaluating, developing and implementing an offense? I hear your type if sanity is in....insanity

yea yea I know stupid joke.

• Wodwo
  • Veteran

Martz saw O'Sullivan had a lightning quick release (something Martz cherishes), fairly accurate (In practice of course) and athletic, PLUS he knew his system.

Come game time, O'Sullivan held on to the ball way too long and made bad decisions when faced with pressure

Martzcuses.

Genius made a mistake.

Oops.

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
1. Mike Johnson ain't here no more. That throws a lot of your Mike Johnson numbers out the windy.

2. The 49ers are 19-31 in games started by Alex. I'm not cherry picking any one period of his career. Just giving the full info. 19-31.

3. He is INJURY PRONE. Injured in '05, most all of '07, ALL of '08, some of '10. Cannot be relied upon to play all 16 as he has done that once in 6 years.

4. The main argument for Alex is he NEEDS OC CONTINUITY. Well, then why did he REGRESS his 2nd year with Raye? Also, if he needs this continuity, he WILL struggle in '11 to pick up the system. Your basically throwing away '11 so that Alex 'might' get it in '12 .

5. He's Captain Checkdown. He does not read defenses. He looks at one guy and if it's not there, he checks it down. This is why Gore is often our leading WR.

6. He's not a natural leader. Players responded a lot more to Troy than Alex. A lot of the locker room does not like Alex and does not play hard for him.

1. Johnson is gone but we have a solid HC who will be calling the plays as well as a solid OC in place.

2. The 49ers are 19-31 when running an offense with a crappy HC who doesn't have a clue about the offensive side of the ball and an overrated defense.

3. I agree with this

4. 2011 is going to be out the window either way. More than likely there will be a lockout which means no OTA's and possibly no TC. One thing that Alex Smith has shown is his ability to deal with and adapt to a new playbook. He has experience in just about every offense out there known to man thanks to having 6 different OC's in his career. While he won't be a master of the offense like he wants to be that doesn't change the fact that he is already used to it by now.

5. Captain Checkdown? Let me guess a little nickname you gave him from this season? Let's seeeee I seem to remember an article that said that players played scared under Singletary. This would include a QB who is doing what the HC wants. Not take risks and take what the defense gives him. Huh last time I checked that needs the ability to read defenses. Gore is often the leading receiver because our OLine is so horrible that Alex doesn't have a lot of time to wait for the plays to develop and has to get rid of the ball. Now who would be already in a position to catch the ball? Oh Oh I know! The RB who just so happens to be Frank Gore...the same Frank Gore that both Nolan and Singletary wanted to focus the offense around. Sorry but there will never be a successful offense focused on a RB.

6. This is all pure speculation. Yes Alex Smith is not a vocal leader. That just isn't his personality he isn't going to go around screaming and yelling at people. He tries to lead by example (honestly the best form of a leader IMO) Show me proof the the players did not like Alex Smith?????

1. As much as I like Harbaugh, how has he proved that he can be succesful at the NFL level? So to say that we ALREADY have a solid guy calling the plays is a reach. Wait until he PROVES he can be successful before we crown him.

2. The same team and coaching staff Shaun Hill posted a 10-6 record with?

3. There is no arguing this one although I think Alex is very tough, he just so happens to be injury prone

4. 2011 is not a waste just because of the division we play in so the best bet is to bring someone in who has RECENT success in a WCO, not a guy who had AVERAGE at best success 4-5 years ago.

5. The O-line is up for debate. They were ranked pretty low this year (27) but how many of those sacks they allowed came from Troy Smith holding the ball too long? Quite a bit if I'm not mistaken so to say Alex never had any time but Troy holds the ball too long is bogus as well

6. you are right. There are different kind of leaders but how is Alex a leader that leads by example when he is just an average player? Who the hell wants to follow that? Patrick Willis leads by example, Justin Smith leads by example, Brian Westbrook has always led by example. Alex Smith is not vocal AND he is only an average player AT BEST so how is he a leader?
Share 49ersWebzone