LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

Why is Harbaugh not going to the Senior Bowl?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by genus49:
Baalke can go and let Jim know everything that happened. I'm sure they may even be allowed to tape the practices.

Why does he necessarily have to see it with his own eyes? Sure it would be good if both of them went but it's not a necessity. It's not like the senior bowl practices is the only way to evaluate those guys.

They show the practices on NFL Network, so I'd imagine that there is coaches tape as well. Plus he can meet the players at the combine and ofcourse there is the option of bringing prospects into the facility. I would still rather that he go, but there is still a lot of time so we will see how it works.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Anyways, I thought that Harbaugh was going to the Senior Bowl...

Where does it say he isn't?

Articles said he isn't. He wants to watch film of FA's and not be at the Senior Bowl...

Wait, our FAs? Or the ones from other teams?

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/01/22/3342979/49ers-notes-harbaugh-takes-clean.html#mi_rss=49ers

"Not going Mobile – While general manager Trent Baalke will head to the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., on Sunday, Harbaugh said he would remain at team headquarters and do film work on upcoming free agents.

The 49ers will be scouting quarterbacks throughout the offseason. Six of them – Nevada's Colin Kaepernick, Washington's Jake Locker, TCU's Andy Dalton, Florida State's Christian Ponder, Alabama's Greg McElroy and Iowa's Ricky Stanzi – will be on hand in Mobile."

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/01/22/3342979/49ers-notes-harbaugh-takes-clean.html#ixzz1BoWXFpBM

Why do we not want him there for that?... Locker, Dalton, Stanzi, Ponder and Kaepernick respectively. Those are potentially good QB's. Not as high on McElroy.

Thanks SD, I missed that article.

But I'm sure there will be tape of the Senior Bowl practices that Harbaugh can go back to look on. After all Harbaugh has done up close scouting with him coming from the college ranks, its the NFL players that he needs catching up on. The Combine and Pro Days and inviting players for private workouts leading up to the draft will give him a lot of time to evaluate players.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Articles said he isn't. He wants to watch film of FA's and not be at the Senior Bowl...

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/01/22/3342979/49ers-notes-harbaugh-takes-clean.html#mi_rss=49ers

"Not going Mobile – While general manager Trent Baalke will head to the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., on Sunday, Harbaugh said he would remain at team headquarters and do film work on upcoming free agents.

The 49ers will be scouting quarterbacks throughout the offseason. Six of them – Nevada's Colin Kaepernick, Washington's Jake Locker, TCU's Andy Dalton, Florida State's Christian Ponder, Alabama's Greg McElroy and Iowa's Ricky Stanzi – will be on hand in Mobile."

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/01/22/3342979/49ers-notes-harbaugh-takes-clean.html#ixzz1BoWXFpBM

Why do we not want him there for that?... Locker, Dalton, Stanzi, Ponder and Kaepernick respectively. Those are potentially good QB's. Not as high on McElroy.

But I'm sure there will be tape of the Senior Bowl practices that Harbaugh can go back to look on. After all Harbaugh has done up close scouting with him coming from the college ranks, its the NFL players that he needs catching up on. The Combine and Pro Days and inviting players for private workouts leading up to the draft will give him a lot of time to evaluate players.

That's the aticle I was speaking of. It's seems absurd to me. A HC with no QB on the team should go.
Baalke can go and let Jim know everything that happened. I'm sure they may even be allowed to tape the practices.

Why does he necessarily have to see it with his own eyes? Sure it would be good if both of them went but it's not a necessity. It's not like the senior bowl practices is the only way to evaluate those guys.

It's better if he is there. He can see things with his own eyes that you can't see on tape. Such as this guy is big and strong and physically impossing. Or not. You can't always tell that on tape. The accuracy is apparent in person as well for QB's.

Right, because Ben Roethlisberger looks like a midget on flim.
Feed the birds.

Originally posted by GorefullBore:

It's better if he is there. He can see things with his own eyes that you can't see on tape. Such as this guy is big and strong and physically impossing. Or not. You can't always tell that on tape. The accuracy is apparent in person as well for QB's.

Right, because Ben Roethlisberger looks like a midget on flim.

You don't see everything on film like personality and temperment and confidence or lack of confidence. Those are apparent when you are up close and personal and scouting. Somebody should have been paying attention to Alex Smith having his head down and being non confident in everything he does... Not talking about Senior Bowl in his case but any and all up close and personal workouts.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

That's the aticle I was speaking of. It's seems absurd to me. A HC with no QB on the team should go.

More speculation on my behalf...of course, but maybe hes looking into NFL QB film on who are realistic trade options?? Like I said, with him coming from college, I'm sure hes had more than enough time to scout college players. In college its pretty useless looking at game film of NFL players, especially the hours that HC's put in to game planning in college and the NFL.

More speculation on my behalf...of course, but maybe hes looking into NFL QB film on who are realistic trade options?? Like I said, with him coming from college, I'm sure hes had more than enough time to scout college players. In college its pretty useless looking at game film of NFL players, especially the hours that HC's put in to game planning in college and the NFL.

I think that would hold water if you are talking about PAC 10 only. He's seen and faced those guys. He knows what they got. But Stanzi is Big 10 for example. What does he know about him? Probably nothing.
Keep in mind that players, especially highly-rated QBs, often skip the combine.

You know what I think? I think he has decided to stay at home so he can enjoy watching Alex work out for him.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

I think that would hold water if you are talking about PAC 10 only. He's seen and faced those guys. He knows what they got. But Stanzi is Big 10 for example. What does he know about him? Probably nothing.

Follow the bold letters.

Follow the bold letters.

He should be able to do "more than 1 thing at once." We learned from Barack Obama that all great men can do more than one thing at at time... Can Harbaugh not walk and chew gum at the same time? Can't he take his laptop with game film DVD's and review them in his hotel room while also doing his due diligence at the Senior Bowl?
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Jan 22, 2011 at 6:23 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by excelsior:
Keep in mind that players, especially highly-rated QBs, often skip the combine.

You know what I think? I think he has decided to stay at home so he can enjoy watching Alex work out for him.

What's Alex gonna do mo his lawn and clean his pool!!!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Follow the bold letters.

He should be able to do "more than 1 thing at once." We learned from Barack Obama that all great men can do more than one thing at at time... Can Harbaugh not walk and chew gum at the same time? Can't he take his laptop with game film DVD's and review them in his hotel room while also doing his due diligence at the Senior Bowl?

Probably not, we need to fire him ASAP, C'mon make it happen Baalke!!!

Follow the bold letters.

LOL Barack Obama, a great man? This just keeps getting funnier and funnier.
I really don't see anything to wet my pants over here. At any time Harbaugh can get tape of the Senior Bowl practices, game and practically every play of any given prospect's entire college career. All he's missing is the one on one interviews which can be done, including underclassmen, at the combine in a few weeks.

Share 49ersWebzone