LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 303 users in the forums

Why is Harbaugh not going to the Senior Bowl?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by excelsior:
We come to this board to discuss and debate issues regarding the team. I thought SanDiego raised a perfectly good question. I thought it was unusual, too.

None of us know the reason or the circumstances, but it does seem something out of the ordinary.

There appears to be a high probability that this will not be an ordinary offseason.

All that we can do is speculate. This can lead to good discussion.

However, I do not believe this thread was started in order to have good rational discussion.

This is speculation based on an observed pattern of behavior.

Do you want to discuss that speculation?
Originally posted by ads_2006:
didnt we coach the senior bowl for two years straight?

wtf did we get after that

Well, Patrick Willis came from the Senior Bowl, but you're right, not much else beyond that.
Here is why San Diego's concern carries currency: Harbaugh knows what kind of passing offense he likes to run. He will have a better feel than Baalke as to what qualities he is looking for in a QB. One of those qualities may be his personality and temperament. This calls for one-on-one face time - talking to the kid, listening to his answers, watching how he carries himself, etc. These are the intagibles that do not readily disclose themselves on tape. The above are reasons why I, like San Diego, thought he would have wanted to go.

So why did he not go? Jokingly, I might suggest that after looking at the film and having a nice conversation with Alex, he feels he already has his QB. Perhaps they do not intend to draft one of the Senior Bowl QBs, but rather plan on studying more closely (with private workouts) the next tier of QBs that they could take in the 3rd or 4th round.

If he's staying to look at film I'm guessing he knows which FA QB he might want. Or he may knows which QB he likes and doesn't need to go see him right now. Or maybe all the QB's at the senior bowl aren't worth a s**t.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Here is why San Diego's concern carries currency: Harbaugh knows what kind of passing offense he likes to run. He will have a better feel than Baalke as to what qualities he is looking for in a QB. One of those qualities may be his personality and temperament. This calls for one-on-one face time - talking to the kid, listening to his answers, watching how he carries himself, etc. These are the intagibles that do not readily disclose themselves on tape. The above are reasons why I, like San Diego, thought he would have wanted to go.

So why did he not go? Jokingly, I might suggest that after looking at the film and having a nice conversation with Alex, he feels he already has his QB. Perhaps they do not intend to draft one of the Senior Bowl QBs, but rather plan on studying more closely (with private workouts) the next tier of QBs that they could take in the 3rd or 4th round.

YUP...

Gee... you're right. I hope Harbaugh has heard of the Combine, Pro Days, and requested personal visits or else he is in trouble.
Because he went to the Orange Bowl.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
LOL someone upset cause he won't be paying any attention to Locker....oh wait Stanzi's at the Senior Bowl too. Damn you Harbaugh!!!
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

YUP...

Gee... you're right. I hope Harbaugh has heard of the Combine, Pro Days, and requested personal visits or else he is in trouble.

He should go to all of these events. He should be able to do "more than 1 thing at once."

Are you sure the allow that at the senior bowl?

I think you both are putting too much stock into this. If this was the case, we should have never fired Nolan.

Harbaugh still wouldnt be able to coach them until we draft them. Its not like he's gonna start coaching Stanzi or Dalton right after the senior bowl.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
LOL someone upset cause he won't be paying any attention to Locker....oh wait Stanzi's at the Senior Bowl too. Damn you Harbaugh!!!

You have been riding Stanzi's jock so wouldn't you want him there?...
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

YUP...

He should go to all of these events. He should be able to do "more than 1 thing at once."

And who you to say what he SHOULD do. He is the professional, you are just a forum dweller who thinks he knows more than people who do it for a living. I trust a professional knows his profession, unless you are calling Harbaugh incompetent.

Anyway, I give up. Fans drive me crazy. No reason in sight.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kolohe:

You have been riding Stanzi's jock so wouldn't you want him there?...

If you read my whole joke of a post, you would see I mentioned that.

But all kidding aside, I thought Harbaugh was going to the Senior Bowl??Link
He's not there, because other then Locker. None of the top Qbs will be taking part in the practice... He wont see Netwon,Mallet,or that Gilbert dude untill the combines.
Most people go to the senior to talk with each to set up deals and stuff. Player evaluation is sort of secondary to the higher ups. You trust your scouts for a lot of that. I'm sure Harbaugh will be able to see film of the practices no matter where he is. It's the 21st century.
why is paraage not going?

we obviously need to offer contracts too at this point
Originally posted by British9er:
I was a little surprised too when I heard that but I trust harbaugh knows what he is doing.

He has inherited 60 plus players he needs to evaluate with his new coaches before he can start thinking about evaluating the potential FAs and trade options out there to upgrade the team and the draft.

As the point was made earlier actually coaching the senior bowl did not seem to help McNolan too much so does it really matter?

If he bales on the combine then we can start to worry.

I'm already worried. Is Baalke pulling a power play? Not allowing him there? Why wouldn't you want your best QB evaluator there?

Scot M. and NoWin failed because they suck. I was hoping for better this time.

I highly doubt Baalke is pulling anything, plus im sure Harbaugh knows these guys already from being in college ranks, no need to worry.
Share 49ersWebzone