There are 95 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why is Harbaugh not going to the Senior Bowl?

southern californian
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by excelsior:
We come to this board to discuss and debate issues regarding the team. I thought SanDiego raised a perfectly good question. I thought it was unusual, too.

None of us know the reason or the circumstances, but it does seem something out of the ordinary.

^^^

This.

Which other coaches are going to be there SD?

Aside from the ones coaching.

Harbaugh should be able to do "more than 1 thing at a time." He can put DVD's in his laptop and review the film at night in his hotel room.

SD, you are something else.
Originally posted by RonMexico:
southern californian
Let's bring back Mr. Senior Bowl! Mike Nolan!
Because it doesnt matter:

A) There will obviously be tape of the game, which I'm sure he will watch.
B) His scouts and GM are sent there to do their job, including schmoozing other GMs for trades.
C) He is filling out the staff, contacting players and settling in to his new position which has priority over traveling accross country for a not that important game.

Let me ask you this- For what specific reason do you want him at the game?
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Harbaugh doesn't owe me an explanation, but hey that's just me. I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

It doesn't appear so on this decision. I want the best QB evaluator there for the 49ers. And he's not there...

Blind faith doesn't work with me.

It's not blind faith, it's simply trusting a man to his job, who at this point in time I have no reason to distrust.

He just came from the college ranks. I'm sure he's done quite a bit of QB scouting prior to getting the job with the 49ers.

But he didn't play all those teams. He played in the PAC 10. So it's reasonable to assume he knows those guys. What about the other ones? Gabbert and Mallett are not PAC 10 guys. Wouldn't he want to take a closer look?

Except Mallett and Gabbert aren't at the Senior Bowl. This fact alone illustrates your complete lack of knowledge of the situation.

You're drawing conclusions and making knee jerk reactions based off his desire to review film rather than make the trip to Alabama. It's reasonable to assume that Harbaugh is letting Baalke do his job as the General Manager, while he personally focuses on finding a serviceable Quarterback (among other needs).

The Senior Bowl is an excellent venue to evaluate talent, but it's not the only source for reviewing talent. It sounds as though Harbaugh is putting in long hours at the office in an attempt to catch himself up. You think he isn't reviewing college film of draft eligible Quarterbacks?
Well, the main reason Harbaugh was hired was for his QB skills.

Don't you think he already knows what QB he wants to draft? I'm guessing he does.

Baalke can do the dirty work for this one.
Here is why San Diego's concern carries currency: Harbaugh knows what kind of passing offense he likes to run. He will have a better feel than Baalke as to what qualities he is looking for in a QB. One of those qualities may be his personality and temperament. This calls for one-on-one face time - talking to the kid, listening to his answers, watching how he carries himself, etc. These are the intagibles that do not readily disclose themselves on tape. The above are reasons why I, like San Diego, thought he would have wanted to go.

So why did he not go? Jokingly, I might suggest that after looking at the film and having a nice conversation with Alex, he feels he already has his QB. Perhaps they do not intend to draft one of the Senior Bowl QBs, but rather plan on studying more closely (with private workouts) the next tier of QBs that they could take in the 3rd or 4th round.
Originally posted by genus49:
Baalke can go and let Jim know everything that happened. I'm sure they may even be allowed to tape the practices.

Why does he necessarily have to see it with his own eyes? Sure it would be good if both of them went but it's not a necessity. It's not like the senior bowl practices is the only way to evaluate those guys.

It's better if he is there. He can see things with his own eyes that you can't see on tape. Such as this guy is big and strong and physically impossing. Or not. You can't always tell that on tape. The accuracy is apparent in person as well for QB's.

OMG SD, are you serious??!! I'm convinced you either have manic depression or you're a woman, which one is it?

Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by genus49:
Baalke can go and let Jim know everything that happened. I'm sure they may even be allowed to tape the practices.

Why does he necessarily have to see it with his own eyes? Sure it would be good if both of them went but it's not a necessity. It's not like the senior bowl practices is the only way to evaluate those guys.

It's better if he is there. He can see things with his own eyes that you can't see on tape. Such as this guy is big and strong and physically impossing. Or not. You can't always tell that on tape. The accuracy is apparent in person as well for QB's.

OMG SD, are you serious??!! I'm convinced you either have manic depression or you're a woman, which one is it?

I doubt Harbaugh would require such practical visual data.

Due to the lock-out scenario, the only sensible move for Harbaugh is to interview/see all the QBs he's interested in (first-hand) at the Combine.

The Combine isn't always an accurate measuring stick, but it's the only 'real' time NFL scouts/coaches get to interview as many players as possible for the first time (one-on-one) on their football IQ, and their situational opinions of mental technique/intangibles.

Harbaugh is a cerebral guy, and he grooms his QBs within a father-and-son-like relationship (as he did in college). -So Jim's going to pick the most talented QB he can mesh with for the long-haul/knows he can create a sound level of trust and communication with (as Jim did when he scouted Josh Johnson, and Andrew Luck).
didnt we coach the senior bowl for two years straight?

wtf did we get after that

We had NoWin and Scot Drunk. I was hoping for a more professional experience this time...

Maybe thats why Harbaugh didnt go.

It might be in his best professional interest to get his coaching staff together/ up to speed and see who they can keep on the roster.

Let the GM deal with the senior bowl right now

Then Harbaugh can go to the Combine, with the other coaches in the league

He should be able to do "more than one thing at once." Obama said that is what great people do. Really? Our HC can only do 1 thing at a time? Can he walk and chew gum at the same time?

And you can't anything besides make idiotic posts
I understand the validity of SD's question. However it's not something I feel is worth passing judgement when all the facts are not known and probably never will be.
Maybe he wants to get a feel for how Baalke does evaluating talent without him around to see if what, if any, differences they may have in terms of how they view players.
Originally posted by excelsior:
Here is why San Diego's concern carries currency: Harbaugh knows what kind of passing offense he likes to run. He will have a better feel than Baalke as to what qualities he is looking for in a QB. One of those qualities may be his personality and temperament. This calls for one-on-one face time - talking to the kid, listening to his answers, watching how he carries himself, etc. These are the intagibles that do not readily disclose themselves on tape. The above are reasons why I, like San Diego, thought he would have wanted to go.

So why did he not go? Jokingly, I might suggest that after looking at the film and having a nice conversation with Alex, he feels he already has his QB. Perhaps they do not intend to draft one of the Senior Bowl QBs, but rather plan on studying more closely (with private workouts) the next tier of QBs that they could take in the 3rd or 4th round.

YUP...