LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 286 users in the forums

Why is Harbaugh not going to the Senior Bowl?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Anyways, I thought that Harbaugh was going to the Senior Bowl...

Where does it say he isn't?
Originally posted by Esco:
We've had coaches coach the Senior Bowl and we could argue that it had little impact on the quality of the overall draft. He still has the Combine and individual workouts not to mention game tape of the Senior Bowl for evaluation.
It may be possible that he already has a QB in mind. All reports on Harbaugh have said how throughout his coaching career he has been writing up his plans for when he gets a NFL head coaching job. He knew what coaches he wanted to bring in and how he would run his team. So you better believe he has been evaluating college QB's for quite some time now and I bet he already has a guy or two that he will target come draft time.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Harbaugh doesn't owe me an explanation, but hey that's just me. I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

It doesn't appear so on this decision. I want the best QB evaluator there for the 49ers. And he's not there...

Blind faith doesn't work with me.

It's not blind faith, it's simply trusting a man to his job, who at this point in time I have no reason to distrust.

He just came from the college ranks. I'm sure he's done quite a bit of QB scouting prior to getting the job with the 49ers.

But he didn't play all those teams. He played in the PAC 10. So it's reasonable to assume he knows those guys. What about the other ones? Gabbert and Mallett are not PAC 10 guys. Wouldn't he want to take a closer look?

Except Mallett and Gabbert aren't at the Senior Bowl. This fact alone illustrates your complete lack of knowledge of the situation.

You're drawing conclusions and making knee jerk reactions based off his desire to review film rather than make the trip to Alabama. It's reasonable to assume that Harbaugh is letting Baalke do his job as the General Manager, while he personally focuses on finding a serviceable Quarterback (among other needs).

The Senior Bowl is an excellent venue to evaluate talent, but it's not the only source for reviewing talent. It sounds as though Harbaugh is putting in long hours at the office in an attempt to catch himself up. You think he isn't reviewing college film of draft eligible Quarterbacks?
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by boast:
SD souring on Harbaugh?!?!

well that was quick!

I like Harbaugh. But this decision is curious. Baalke blocking him from going?... It makes zero sense not to have the best QB evaluator there. He needs to be there period. We need a QB and Harbaugh needs to be there.

what if the QB he is targeting is not a senior? what if they already know they are not interested in any of the seniors?

It is possible. I'd rather have him there though to do his due diligence on all prospects.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Is he going to the practices ?
One thing to note is that Harbaugh is absolute workaholic at least in the film room. Remember it was noted prior to his hiring that when he was with the Raiders, he put second round grades on Tony Romo and David Garrard while putting a failing grade on Joey Harrington. It's curious that he's not going to the Senior Bowl, but maybe he feels as if none of these quarterbacks are "it" for him. He's seen plenty of Jake Locker by now. I'm pretty sure he's reviewed Kaepernick's game as well. On the other hand he might feel confident enough in his film review to know which quarterback he already likes. I agree that reviewing tape on the team's free agents makes no sense especially with a potential lockout. But the reason Harbaugh was brought here was b/c he can develop a quarterback. If he already knows which quarterback he likes/wants, then he might not feel the need to scout them. Maybe he likes Gabbert and hopes he's there at 7.
Originally posted by niner4life21:

Articles said he isn't. He wants to watch film of FA's and not be at the Senior Bowl...
This is not a thread-worthy topic.

Articles said he isn't. He wants to watch film of FA's and not be at the Senior Bowl...

Wait, our FAs? Or the ones from other teams?

I was a little surprised too when I heard that but I trust harbaugh knows what he is doing.

He has inherited 60 plus players he needs to evaluate with his new coaches before he can start thinking about evaluating the potential FAs and trade options out there to upgrade the team and the draft.

As the point was made earlier actually coaching the senior bowl did not seem to help McNolan too much so does it really matter?

If he bales on the combine then we can start to worry.

Wait, our FAs? Or the ones from other teams?

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/01/22/3342979/49ers-notes-harbaugh-takes-clean.html#mi_rss=49ers

"Not going Mobile – While general manager Trent Baalke will head to the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., on Sunday, Harbaugh said he would remain at team headquarters and do film work on upcoming free agents.

The 49ers will be scouting quarterbacks throughout the offseason. Six of them – Nevada's Colin Kaepernick, Washington's Jake Locker, TCU's Andy Dalton, Florida State's Christian Ponder, Alabama's Greg McElroy and Iowa's Ricky Stanzi – will be on hand in Mobile."

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/01/22/3342979/49ers-notes-harbaugh-takes-clean.html#ixzz1BoWXFpBM

Why do we not want him there for that?... Locker, Dalton, Stanzi, Ponder and Kaepernick respectively. Those are potentially good QB's. Not as high on McElroy.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by canadian49erfan:
This is not a thread-worthy topic.

But it is sponge-worthy.
Originally posted by British9er:
I was a little surprised too when I heard that but I trust harbaugh knows what he is doing.

He has inherited 60 plus players he needs to evaluate with his new coaches before he can start thinking about evaluating the potential FAs and trade options out there to upgrade the team and the draft.

As the point was made earlier actually coaching the senior bowl did not seem to help McNolan too much so does it really matter?

If he bales on the combine then we can start to worry.

I'm already worried. Is Baalke pulling a power play? Not allowing him there? Why wouldn't you want your best QB evaluator there?

Scot M. and NoWin failed because they suck. I was hoping for better this time.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Jan 22, 2011 at 4:41 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone