There are 234 users in the forums

Why is Harbaugh not going to the Senior Bowl?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Harbaugh's scouting of the draft-eligible quarterbacks will consist of watching game film with the option of attending selected pro days. He will also watch and interview quarterbacks at the NFL scouting combine next month in Indianapolis.

Read more: Maiocco: 49ers, 31 other teams eye QBs at Senior Bowl
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

The Senior Bowl isnt the only place to watch these guys, I dont think its as abig of a deal as some people are making it out to be. Just another reason to complain
[ Edited by valrod33 on Jan 25, 2011 at 9:36 AM ]
Originally posted by valrod33:
Harbaugh's scouting of the draft-eligible quarterbacks will consist of watching game film with the option of attending selected pro days. He will also watch and interview quarterbacks at the NFL scouting combine next month in Indianapolis.

Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

The Sneior Bowl isnt the only place to watch these guys, I dont think its as abig of a deal as some people are making it out to be. Just another reason to complain

you are right, but what I like about besides watching tape is you get to meet them and get a feel for the real person, not just the player.

Matt M says most first year coaches skip, BTW, because they feel they have so much other stuff to do.
Sorry guys, we're going 2-14 next season now, just cause Harbaugh didn't make the trip to Mobile
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Sorry guys, we're going 2-14 next season now, just cause Harbaugh didn't make the trip to Mobile

Oh no, now you started it. Bring on the doom and gloom!
Harbaugh is not going because he's not taking a quarterback in the Draft this year. He already knows who his QB of the future is.

They'll bring in a Vet as a stopgap, re-sign Troy Smith as a backup, and posture themselves to pick up Andrew Luck in 2012, no matter the cost.

If you use this, call me Nostradumas.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=81652

NFL coaching veterans Sean Payton of the Saints and Ken Whisenhunt of the Cardinals are in the Senior Bowl house. So are first-timer coaches Jason Garrett of the Cowboys and Hue Jackson of the Raiders.

Same goes for at least two defensive coordinators: ex-49ers DC Greg Manusky of the Chargers and ex-Raiders DC Rob Ryan of the Cowboys.

Entire coaching staffs are in Mobile, Ala. this week, as well, including the semi-assembled Raiders and Cowboys.

Just don't come expecting new 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh and his new coaching staff. They stayed behind in Santa Clara while a big chunk of the league converged in Mobile, Ala. for this week's NFL-run all-star game.

So, is this a good or a bad thing?

New 49ers general manager Trent Baalke says this is the first day of work for Harbaugh's staff, which has come together the past two weeks. The feeling is they could get a lot more done at the office in terms of breaking down film and working on schemes than flying to Mobile for three or four days of practice.

Baalke is the one running the draft -- granted, with input from Harbaugh, coaches and an entire personnel department -- and he's the lead dog in a scout-heavy contingent of 49ers. He's the one with contractual control of the 53-man roster, and he's the one in charge of the draft. He's the one who absolutely must be here.

Still, more than a few NFL assistant coaches and scouts I spoke with today were surprised Harbaugh and his staff didn't make the trip. He's been out of the NFL since 2004. Most of his staff spent last season at Stanford.

With all the CBA uncertainty, there is a very real chance they will have nothing but time to sit around and work on film and scheme.

On the flip side, some think this shows Harbaugh trusts Baalke -- several have told me Baalke and Harbaugh think a lot alike. Harbaugh said Friday part of team-building his gaining trust between, among others, the coach and GM.

By leaving Baalke alone to do his job this week, Harbaugh appears to be showing he trusts Baalke. That's something Mike Singletary didn't do when things went bad last season.

On Tuesday, we'll take a look at the quarterbacks here at the Senior Bowl, most whom will be of great interest if the 49ers wait a few rounds draft an arm of the future.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=81652#ixzz1C2nVF0g7

Ouch. Wow...

Ladies and Gentlemen,

In the news business, we call what SanDiego bolds, "spin" - I'm sure you've heard of it; you know you spin what someone else has said to prove what you're saying is valid. Of course when you spin one part of fact, you de-emphasize the other pieces of the quote which give proper context to the the original text. Of course spining isn't lying, it just clearly demonstrates the spinner has an agenda.

So let's bold the UNBOLDED, important section that was clearly de-emphasized:

On the flip side, some think this shows Harbaugh trusts Baalke -- several have told me Baalke and Harbaugh think a lot alike. Harbaugh said Friday part of team-building his gaining trust between, among others, the coach and GM.

By leaving Baalke alone to do his job this week, Harbaugh appears to be showing he trusts Baalke. That's something Mike Singletary didn't do when things went bad last season.

So the original text has two balancing points; (1) some people are surprised Harbaugh isn't in attendance and (2) the new 49er power structure doesn't require Harbaugh's attendance and allows him to create an atmosphere his predecessor didn't.

Well first thing I obvious lesson learned in management, never do what the guy previous to you did to get fired.

I agree with your message; but, please tell me that you are not an editor at a Newspaper or anything like that...
Why are other coaches surprised?

Harbaugh and his whole staff just came from f**king college.

Coaches at the senior bowl spent their entire time in the NFL, watching NFL game film and game planning last season. I understand why they need to be there.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

No. I like Harbaugh and think he is the right HC. But this is a drastic error. There is no reason for him not to be there. It should be important to him and Baalke both that he be there. There are first time coaches there so it's no excuse.

Who says? You?

C'mon SD, you won't accept the fact that the lines of responsibility have been drawn and both Baalke AND Harbaugh decided this was the best way to use the time this week. Oh let's see...Harbaugh with his coaching staff and Baalke with his scouting staff.

Why can't you accept this? What? Nolan did it. Singletary did it. So now we should do it. Oh! Hue Jackson is there. Manusky is there.

I get it. Um, no I don't. You still have not provided a valid reason to continue this underlying current of doubt with our new FO and Coaching staff. To begin with yes, but the arguments have been made.

You hold on to yours for dear life because you can't deal with what? The truth that this framework will succeed.

Too long have you wallowed and stayed in the muk that is the past failures. You try to get out and get slapped in the face. I can see why why the hate on the Yorks, just don't understand your unwillingness to accept certain POVs.

C'mon man!

The Sneior Bowl isnt the only place to watch these guys, I dont think its as abig of a deal as some people are making it out to be. Just another reason to complain

Especially for QB's.

NOTE, this is only point to show how little the Senior Bowls means in evaluating QB's: Let's take Alex Smith and allow him to practice ONLY one week with players he knows nothing about and see if his throws are on target. People on this site make excuses about chemistry for him with receivers he spends years with. Harbaugh will learn more about Qb's from film and pro days than this or the combine.
  • rum53
  • Veteran
Harbaugh has been coaching in college for the past 4 years. I think it's safe to assume that he has spent time scouting his opponents. In scouting his opponents, I'm sure he has seen game film of both his opponents and also the teams that his opponents play (i.e. teams that Stanford did not play). The same for his assistant coaches.

I also am willing to bet that during his time at Stanford, Harbaugh did not spend too much time scouting NFL players. Wouldn't it make sense for Harbaugh to spend time reacquainting himself with the NFL game and NFL players so that he can better identify college players that can succeed at this level?

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Joecool:

Especially for QB's.

NOTE, this is only point to show how little the Senior Bowls means in evaluating QB's: Let's take Alex Smith and allow him to practice ONLY one week with players he knows nothing about and see if his throws are on target. People on this site make excuses about chemistry for him with receivers he spends years with. Harbaugh will learn more about Qb's from film and pro days than this or the combine.

This.

Baalke has been a scout for a long time so im not worried.

Plus im sure they have enough game and practice video on the Senior Bowl players
seattles coaching staff isnt there either so its not like we're the only team doing this, would i like them there ? sure, but its not the end of the world to me
I actually like the idea of him being home and watching the film with the new staff. They need to breakdown the roster and figure out the strength and weaknesses of the players we currently have. Most of the coaches that are there are veteran coaches who already know their teams.
Share 49ersWebzone