LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 284 users in the forums

Why is Harbaugh not going to the Senior Bowl?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by susweel:
MaioccoCSN Matt Maiocco
RT @Stanley85510 is it odd that Harbaugh chose not to attend? This worries me. Your thoughts? > Some of first-year coaches aren't here.

MaioccoCSN Matt Maiocco
Cleveland's Pat Shurmur is not here, either. First-time coaches have so much to do back home, that's where they feel they need to be.

LOL!!!!

We were all coming here to post this at the same time!!!

HAAHAHAHAHA

(dumb thread - why do we answer SanDiego?)

Because you're a glutton for endless, mind-numbing, irrational, and rhetorical arguments.
Originally posted by BobS:
For all you people who answer "He will see them at the combine", have you noticed how many guys skip the combine lately? Seems like only those who think it will raise their draft position show up. Also game and work out tape doesn't expose the Ryan Leafs of the world who have mental issues. It is a lot more efficient to interview players when there is a large group of them handy, compared to doing personal interviews after the combine.

The main question was why he didn't go to this bowl-look at the list of QBs, none of them are going to skip the combine as none of them are Bradford. they need to show as much as they can. While tape may not show mental issues, interviews are not infalible either.

As for efficiency interviewing with a whole group, it is better to get one on one with no one around, why? so they see what you see or hear about your reaction. You can bet if Harbaugh is interested in a certain QB, some team is going to take mental notes for a variety of reasons.

Its a cold game of chess and some coaches sometimes fall in love with a player, not good. Case in point-Ditka and Rickey Williams.
I think the BL is Harbaugh knows what he's doing...who are we to question his methods? Just based on how he put his staff togther, he does his homework and has a knack for putting together an experienced, extremely knowledgeable staff. Why wouldn't the same be true for his players? There's no reason to believe he and Baalke (and potentially other scouts) aren't joined at the hip, particularly at this early stage when he's in a severe learning mode. They seem to have things worked out...and so long as it gets results (i.e. an improved roster that can execute his game plans), I'm all for it.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I think the BL is Harbaugh knows what he's doing...who are we to question his methods? Just based on how he put his staff togther, he does his homework and has a knack for putting together an experienced, extremely knowledgeable staff. Why wouldn't the same be true for his players? There's no reason to believe he and Baalke (and potentially other scouts) aren't joined at the hip, particularly at this early stage when he's in a severe learning mode. They seem to have things worked out...and so long as it gets results (i.e. an improved roster that can execute his game plans), I'm all for it.

srsly u guys... u guys srsly.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
It makes no sense. The explaination that he needs to review film on potential FA's... The Senior Bowl happens only now and he can review film anytime. Wouldn't we want him there especially for QB's since he would be the superior QB evaluator compared to Baalke? The last time Baalke had the bright idea to trade up for a player he picked an OT who can't pass block...

I was hoping we could avoid this situation on at least QB. The QB would be "Harbaugh approved" and we would get the right guy instead of the wrong guy. This is a team that says "the QB of the future is not on the roster." If that's the case wouldn't you want the HC who is an expert QB evaluator and QB developer to be at the Senior Bowl where there are many 1st, 2nd and 3rd round potential prospects? It doesn't make sense.

Hes Harbaugh he does what he wants. Let him be
Originally posted by horsecore:
Originally posted by susweel:
MaioccoCSN Matt Maiocco
RT @Stanley85510 is it odd that Harbaugh chose not to attend? This worries me. Your thoughts? > Some of first-year coaches aren't here.

MaioccoCSN Matt Maiocco
Cleveland's Pat Shurmur is not here, either. First-time coaches have so much to do back home, that's where they feel they need to be.

LOL!!!!

We were all coming here to post this at the same time!!!

HAAHAHAHAHA

(dumb thread - why do we answer SanDiego?)

Because you're a glutton for endless, mind-numbing, irrational, and rhetorical arguments.

must - not - click quote - must - not - click - quote!!

LOL

Have you ever been to a game? Game film will give him the best view of the QB's performance. You can't loop the video of a QB's throwing motion from the stands or even the sidelines.
Originally posted by TheVoiceOfReason:
Have you ever been to a game? Game film will give him the best view of the QB's performance. You can't loop the video of a QB's throwing motion from the stands or even the sidelines.

And you can't tell a QB's personality issues from film... Like Ryan Leaf's HEAD CASE issues or Alex Smith's non confidence or Jamarcus Russell's laziness.

So up close and personal is important.
I don't know I think he should be there to check out the later round QB's that are going to be available, this is the first big mistake in the fact that he must think since he was a college coach he knows about the talent already. Hopefully he already has a good idea on a gem when the draft rolls around. I know i'm going to catch hell for this but oh well shoot me. Jim needs to be on his toe's Jed is not going to take any bs with his uncle in charge and I hope he is in charge. Anyways thats just my two cents, maybe it's the Absolute talking lol.

Originally posted by PTulini:
This is an easy answer. Jim Harbaugh has only been on the job for about two weeks, so I'm sure he is still trying to evaluate the players on our roster that he'll be working with. He needs to understand where the problems are before he can begin to fix them! At least with Harbaugh we can feel comfortable that he actually knows what to look for when he's evaluating film.

• Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by TheVoiceOfReason:

And you can't tell a QB's personality issues from film... Like Ryan Leaf's HEAD CASE issues or Alex Smith's non confidence or Jamarcus Russell's laziness.

So up close and personal is important.

Are you serious? Do you think San Diego, Oakland and US, didn't go to Senior Bowls and/or meet players in other ways to find out their personality when those picks were made?

You are talking about top 2 picks. You don't think at the Senior Bowl, and/or elsewhere, there were interviews and research? Are you kidding me?
And no one at this year's Senior Bowl is a top two pick kind of prospect, so there will be plenty of other chances to meet them. Pro days, private practices, the combine, etc...

Relax. Not every fear is founded in reality. Give the man and his staff a chance. Don't just criticize for the sake of it. At least let him TRY to do things his way and bash him if it doesn't work.

But for goodness sake, the season isn't even over yet, let alone the off-season, let alone the new season, where he may or may not do well.

Give the man a chance.

That's all we are saying.....

is give Jim a chance....

(everybody now)
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Actuality SD raises a good point Harbaugh should be at the Senior bowl. I just don't trust Baalke having the final say on the roster and especially at QB.
Doesn't it occur to some of you that Harbaugh already knows what he needs to know about this year's class since he has been hired out of college? If Harbaugh was promoted from an NFL assistant than college head coach, I would then expect him to attend the Senior Bowl.
Share 49ersWebzone