LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 130 users in the forums

Why is Harbaugh not going to the Senior Bowl?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
JH may well do some things that are either mystifying or wrong, like all coaches or leaders or anyone.

Just compare to our last Great Leader here, the crazed Singletary, and JH looks like the spawn of Walsh and Einstein's daughter.

I have a fair amount of blind faith right now, although obviously this could be lost if bad things happen.
I'm sure it's been said on here several times; but, a HC attending the Senior Bowl does not equate to success of that team or even a successful draft.

File this one in the "Who cares" circular file cabinet.
i really could careless
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Its a good question as to why he is not there but Im sure they have good reasoning behind it. Im not really trippin over this, Im sure they know what they are doing.

Or at least I hope so.
[ Edited by susweel on Jan 24, 2011 at 11:15 AM ]
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SashRoxx-1:
Originally posted by BobS:
What is wrong with you blind homers? There is nothing wrong with raising questions.
The statements like "Harbaugh knows what he is doing", crack me up. He was a successful head coach in COLLEGE, how have all the hot shot college coaches done in the pros lately? They have all tanked, see Nick Saban, Bobby Petrino, Steve Spurrier.
What gives this guy a pass on questioning what he is doing?, nothing he has no cred in the pros yet.

Bill Walsh (yeah He failed MISERABLY didnt he) Jimmy Johnson another LOUSY Coach in the NFL...I wont add B Switzer to the list cause he inherited that Lousy Coaches team in Dallas. You Know what...Yeah Maybe J Harbaugh is a COLLEGE coach as you put it But what has he surrounded his staff with? Several people that have been in the NFL a LONG time...

I said LATELY, and you go back over 30 YEARS on one of them. Plenty of great coaches come to the NFL from college, but more often they fail. I think they have a "top ten" coaches that should have remained in college show on NFL network. I am happy to have Harbaugh, but he is far from a can't miss candidate.
[ Edited by BobS on Jan 24, 2011 at 11:23 AM ]
frankly, i think it shows good organization by the team. and it shows that Harbaugh isn't some micromanaging egomaniac. he knows how to delegate and let other people do their jobs and he trusts them. I think its a good sign, that's how an organization is supposed to be run. Whether or not we have the right guys in place (from the FO on down to the Strength and Conditioning coach), or that all that trust is deserved, will be shown in the next year or so. But Harbaugh not going to the Senior Bowl isn't going to have any negative impact on this team.
SD has something negative to say about EVERYTHING revolving around this team.

we could get back to being a dynasty and winning Super Bowls, and hed have something critical to say of them still. hes just that kind of person. always negative, always has a problem.

We JUST hired the hottest coaching candidate on the market, and hes saying all the right things, and the entire fanbase, including SD, is on board with him. yet, right away, SD has to criticize his decision not to go to the Senior Bowl. why??

Harbaugh was in the NFL for a long time. hes been a successful coach everywhere hes gone. he knows how to scout, he knows how football works. When he says "i dont feel the need to attend the Senior Bowl", theres obviously a good reason why. dont question the moves he makes until we see poor results.

hes been in college a while, and has probably already seen/scouted most the players participating in the Senior Bowl. he knows who he likes, he knows who he doesnt like. he might feel like the number of guys hes interested in, who he HASNT scouted yet or already has a feel for, isnt big enough to bother going out there to watch in person.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Even Greg Manusky is there. Does Harbaugh think he is too good for Mobile, Alabama ???

Jason Michael, former 49ers quarterbacks coach, accepted a job last week as tight ends coach with the San Diego Chargers. Former 49ers assistant Greg Manusky is also in Mobile representing the Chargers as their new defensive coordinator.

Read more: Maiocco: Top prospects weigh in at Senior Bowl
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story
here u go fellas, danny o'neil is the seahawks version of the matts and heres his latest tweet....

dannyoneil #Seahawks coaching staff not expected to be in Mobile for the Senior Bowl.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
MaioccoCSN Matt Maiocco
RT @Stanley85510 is it odd that Harbaugh chose not to attend? This worries me. Your thoughts? > Some of first-year coaches aren't here.

MaioccoCSN Matt Maiocco
Cleveland's Pat Shurmur is not here, either. First-time coaches have so much to do back home, that's where they feel they need to be.
[ Edited by susweel on Jan 24, 2011 at 11:45 AM ]

MaioccoCSN Cleveland's Pat Shurmur is not here, either. First-time coaches have so much to do back home, that's where they feel they need to be.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
1. No QB's worth reviewing at the Senior Bowl?
2. That's Baalke's job?
3. Why does he need to when there is 2 or 3 years of game film per player that shows mostly what he can or can't do?
  • BobS
  • Veteran
For all you people who answer "He will see them at the combine", have you noticed how many guys skip the combine lately? Seems like only those who think it will raise their draft position show up. Also game and work out tape doesn't expose the Ryan Leafs of the world who have mental issues. It is a lot more efficient to interview players when there is a large group of them handy, compared to doing personal interviews after the combine.
[ Edited by BobS on Jan 24, 2011 at 11:58 AM ]
Originally posted by BobS:
For all you people who answer "He will see them at the combine", have you noticed how many guys skip the combine lately? Seems like only those who think it will raise their draft position show up. Also game and work out tape doesn't expose the Ryan Leafs of the world who have mental issues. It is a lot more efficient to interview players when there is a large group of them handy, compared to doing personal interviews after the combine.

Just as well, the combine and pro-day Interviews don't expose the Alex Smiths of the world either. I'm just sayin...
Share 49ersWebzone