LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

Why is Harbaugh not going to the Senior Bowl?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It's already been said. lilmikeynoln went to every senior bowl and the guy was a complete load of caca for a coach. Also harbaugh may have seen Pac 10 qbs, but don't think he didn't see film or watch great college or JC Qbs while at stanford. Remember , he had a staff at stanford and they evaluated qBs. He ended up with two great ones, and did not have to go to Sr bowl to find them. My bet he knows plenty about the up and coming great college qBs and has already seen tape on anyone he is interested in. Screw the Sr bowl...it didn't work for us because we had crap for a coach. Leave harbaugh alone. HIs track record speaks for itself.
I am not going to read 15 pages of posts so I apologise if I replicated some commnets. However in answer to the post title. Chill, Harbaugh does not need to go to the Senior Bowl. things to consider

!) Scouts and Coaches go there to watch practices and talk to players. Majority pay no heed to the game and leave before the game day cause the coaching philosophy is different from the ones coaching the team and you can't judge fairly because the chemistry is not going to be there.

2) Maybe none of the QBs listed for the game interest him. You think he hasn't seen tapes on the QB think again. Many agents representing these players send the tapes to the teams they feel needs a QB like the niners.

3) There still is the combine and private workouts.

4) You may not buy the talk of him watching tapes of possible free agents, but it makes perfect sense when coupled with what I said in line three. He needs to know how they are going to approach the draft and that is contingent on what QBs are available and fits his mode in FA or trade. At this moment that is more important to know. He can't just think of the QB of the future but the QB of the present.

5) It was already written in an article that he wasn't going to attend this one. It also said he was intending to see the next all star bowl game. That should tell you something.
Harbaugh's reason for not attending >>> SanDiego's pathetic attempt to stir up controversy
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Ripamaru:
Originally posted by Ripamaru:
It makes no sense. The explaination that he needs to review film on potential FA's... The Senior Bowl happens only now and he can review film anytime. Wouldn't we want him there especially for QB's since he would be the superior QB evaluator compared to Baalke? The last time Baalke had the bright idea to trade up for a player he picked an OT who can't pass block...

I was hoping we could avoid this situation on at least QB. The QB would be "Harbaugh approved" and we would get the right guy instead of the wrong guy. This is a team that says "the QB of the future is not on the roster." If that's the case wouldn't you want the HC who is an expert QB evaluator and QB developer to be at the Senior Bowl where there are many 1st, 2nd and 3rd round potential prospects? It doesn't make sense.

Why would he waste his time watching a few future backup QB's play in the senior bowl?

Remember that he knows more about them than you do.........He is smart enough to see that there isn't a single capable senior QB in the draft.......

Doesn't appear to be a single starting QB in this draft period, much less at the senior bowl....

Hate to burst everyones bubble but if you are expecting us to get a great future QB out of this draft you are going to be sorely disappointed.....

This is the worst group of QB's I have ever seen considered in the first round......

We are picking this year. So we have to be ready to go. It's not next year and we don't know what position we will pick at next year anyway. We have a top 10 pick so we better be ready to pick.

So because we have a top 10 pick we have to waste it on a backup QB?????

I fail to see any logic in your posts......

There are no QB's in this draft.........Watching QB's that suck is a waste of time.....

We need to be ready to pick someone useful.....not one of these bums being floated as 1st rounders....

Maybe that's what they will do. But they should do their due diligence too and be there. Maybe they will be more impressed than they think in person. Keep an open mind.

No offense SD but I have been doing this for over a decade. I have seen countless hours of film on every QB that is in play....

There is not a starter in the bunch of them. The more you see of them the less impressed you get......
Originally posted by BobS:
What is wrong with you blind homers? There is nothing wrong with raising questions.
The statements like "Harbaugh knows what he is doing", crack me up. He was a successful head coach in COLLEGE, how have all the hot shot college coaches done in the pros lately? They have all tanked, see Nick Saban, Bobby Petrino, Steve Spurrier.
What gives this guy a pass on questioning what he is doing?, nothing he has no cred in the pros yet.

Bill Walsh (yeah He failed MISERABLY didnt he) Jimmy Johnson another LOUSY Coach in the NFL...I wont add B Switzer to the list cause he inherited that Lousy Coaches team in Dallas. You Know what...Yeah Maybe J Harbaugh is a COLLEGE coach as you put it But what has he surrounded his staff with? Several people that have been in the NFL a LONG time...
idk if this has been said or not already because i have not read all the pages on this thread but you also gotta remember... harbaugh can bring in players to the HQ and personally evaluate them and put them through drills and everything. go one on one. im sure that is what he is looking forward to doing rather then the senior bowl. im sure he will watch film from the senior bowl if not watch it on tv.
One of the things J Harbaugh said he wanted to do was to talk to several of the players on the teams see where they're at...and especially look at the teams free agents do they need to be kept let go...
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Anyways, I thought that Harbaugh was going to the Senior Bowl...

Where does it say he isn't?

Articles said he isn't. He wants to watch film of FA's and not be at the Senior Bowl...

Wait, our FAs? Or the ones from other teams?

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/01/22/3342979/49ers-notes-harbaugh-takes-clean.html#mi_rss=49ers

"Not going Mobile – While general manager Trent Baalke will head to the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., on Sunday, Harbaugh said he would remain at team headquarters and do film work on upcoming free agents.

The 49ers will be scouting quarterbacks throughout the offseason. Six of them – Nevada's Colin Kaepernick, Washington's Jake Locker, TCU's Andy Dalton, Florida State's Christian Ponder, Alabama's Greg McElroy and Iowa's Ricky Stanzi – will be on hand in Mobile."

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/01/22/3342979/49ers-notes-harbaugh-takes-clean.html#ixzz1BoWXFpBM

Why do we not want him there for that?... Locker, Dalton, Stanzi, Ponder and Kaepernick respectively. Those are potentially good QB's. Not as high on McElroy.

Thanks SD, I missed that article.

But I'm sure there will be tape of the Senior Bowl practices that Harbaugh can go back to look on. After all Harbaugh has done up close scouting with him coming from the college ranks, its the NFL players that he needs catching up on. The Combine and Pro Days and inviting players for private workouts leading up to the draft will give him a lot of time to evaluate players.

That's the aticle I was speaking of. It's seems absurd to me. A HC with no QB on the team should go.

More speculation on my behalf...of course, but maybe hes looking into NFL QB film on who are realistic trade options?? Like I said, with him coming from college, I'm sure hes had more than enough time to scout college players. In college its pretty useless looking at game film of NFL players, especially the hours that HC's put in to game planning in college and the NFL.

I think that would hold water if you are talking about PAC 10 only. He's seen and faced those guys. He knows what they got. But Stanzi is Big 10 for example. What does he know about him? Probably nothing.

Follow the bold letters.

He should be able to do "more than 1 thing at once." We learned from Barack Obama that all great men can do more than one thing at at time... Can Harbaugh not walk and chew gum at the same time? Can't he take his laptop with game film DVD's and review them in his hotel room while also doing his due diligence at the Senior Bowl?

LOL Barack Obama, a great man? This just keeps getting funnier and funnier.

I agree Obama?? WTF has he done? still waiting
It makes no sense. The explaination that he needs to review film on potential FA's... The Senior Bowl happens only now and he can review film anytime. Wouldn't we want him there especially for QB's since he would be the superior QB evaluator compared to Baalke? The last time Baalke had the bright idea to trade up for a player he picked an OT who can't pass block...

I was hoping we could avoid this situation on at least QB. The QB would be "Harbaugh approved" and we would get the right guy instead of the wrong guy. This is a team that says "the QB of the future is not on the roster." If that's the case wouldn't you want the HC who is an expert QB evaluator and QB developer to be at the Senior Bowl where there are many 1st, 2nd and 3rd round potential prospects? It doesn't make sense.

why are u already crying and complaining, grow up, let the man do his job
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

why are u already crying and complaining, grow up, let the man do his job

Agree...Let the man do his job...He hasn't even picked who his QB will be. Lets find out who the QB is first and how he does. If all goes to hell then we can question his decision making like not going to the Senior Bowl...The guy has been here less then a month and ppl are already jumping on him.

On a side note...can we also stop bashing A.Davis...the kid was a 21 year old rookie playing tackle in the NFL...he is only going to get better...once again he's ONLY 21!!!!
[ Edited by Hitman49 on Jan 24, 2011 at 8:42 AM ]

Worst post of the year and an embarrassment to San Diego Niner fans. If he followed Harbaugh at the University of San Diego, he would know more about what he is whacking off about. Even Barrows said a week ago, most of the coaches and GM's go there to talk with each other about potential trades and other non-scouting issues.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
because, that's why
Senior bowl is like the Pro Bowl,

you want him to go scout the probowl too ?
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
because, that's why

And, he doesn't need to and can focus on more pressing needs concerning the team rather than the scouting department which falls under Baalke.

It's called "Organizational Framework". They follow the org chart. Baalke is responsible for evaluating the talent of the draft, no? I can't even imagine what Harbaugh's "to do" list looks like especially with all the CBA uncertainty, his new coaching staff and evaluating his current team.

I'm sure he will involve himself given who he is, he likes football too much not too. I think you truly underestimate this FO org and the new hires. That's to be expected with you. They have to prove it. So let them and stop being a doubt-monger. Give your points which are valid, but also understand that as always, there are mult-POVs.

Delegation can truly allow for a uniform growth to focus in areas of specialty especially on this team. Once they solidify the flexible framework, they can move on to filling in the needs.

I know it worked for Walsh. It's in the book.
Meh, I'll be more worried if he wasn't attending the combine.
Share 49ersWebzone