There are 157 users in the forums

Why is Harbaugh not going to the Senior Bowl?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49er4life:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Baalke will be there...he's a former scout and knows what he's looking for. He and Harbaugh have talked...I'm sure a lot. It also tells me they're probably not that high on the QB's who will be there. Harbaugh's first priority is to acquire a veteran QB...someone he can start the season with. That's a big reason he'll be looking at film...something he woulcn't be able to do in Mobile, at least to any extent. Harbaugh and Baalke are a team...as they should be. If they agree it's better for JH to study current NFL players, not only to evaluate their trade potential, but to begin the process of reviewing his own, that makes sense to me. He doesn't have the luxury of knowing his own roster...so is diving into it now. I really don't have a problem with his m.o.

I agree completely.

There are no QB's worth seeing in person, and Harbaugh trusts his scouts. He trusted them at Stanford and was obviously good at evaluating talent on film, thats why Stanford was so successful, and why he is now our coach.

Our Last two coaches put a lot of emphasis on the senior bowl and look where that got them...

I Second that, people kinda seeing it as if Dingleberry was still our coach.. I trust Harbaugh for the simple fact that hes a winner.. He knows what hes doing. He wants a FA that can come in and run his offense without taking up so much time.
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Harbaugh doesn't owe me an explanation, but hey that's just me. I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

It doesn't appear so on this decision. I want the best QB evaluator there for the 49ers. And he's not there...

Blind faith doesn't work with me.

It's not blind faith, it's simply trusting a man to his job, who at this point in time I have no reason to distrust.

He just came from the college ranks. I'm sure he's done quite a bit of QB scouting prior to getting the job with the 49ers.

But he didn't play all those teams. He played in the PAC 10. So it's reasonable to assume he knows those guys. What about the other ones? Gabbert and Mallett are not PAC 10 guys. Wouldn't he want to take a closer look?

Except Mallett and Gabbert aren't at the Senior Bowl. This fact alone illustrates your complete lack of knowledge of the situation.

You're drawing conclusions and making knee jerk reactions based off his desire to review film rather than make the trip to Alabama. It's reasonable to assume that Harbaugh is letting Baalke do his job as the General Manager, while he personally focuses on finding a serviceable Quarterback (among other needs).

The Senior Bowl is an excellent venue to evaluate talent, but it's not the only source for reviewing talent. It sounds as though Harbaugh is putting in long hours at the office in an attempt to catch himself up. You think he isn't reviewing college film of draft eligible Quarterbacks?

Originally posted by Atl49er:
Jim already knows he doesn't want Locker and the other Qb's participating in the Senior Bowl. He knows Cam will be there waiting for us @ #7!!!

Love ya Jimmy Baby, take Cam, get us a veteran west coast qb once free agency commences and the 9ers are back!!

if we take Cam Newton at 7 im already DONE with this new regime. hes not an NFL QB, period.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Atl49er:
Jim already knows he doesn't want Locker and the other Qb's participating in the Senior Bowl. He knows Cam will be there waiting for us @ #7!!!

Love ya Jimmy Baby, take Cam, get us a veteran west coast qb once free agency commences and the 9ers are back!!

if we take Cam Newton at 7 im already DONE with this new regime. hes not an NFL QB, period.

Just out of curiosity... what makes you think you know more about quarterbacks than Jim Harbaugh?
  • Jacka
  • Veteran
Dumbest post ever! Its like some fans just look for anything to hate on. I'm pretty sure that Baalke and Harbaugh know what they are doing. Trying to stir up controversy by saying Baalke is pulling a power trip and keeping Harbaugh from going. You have absolutely ZERO clue what you are talking about. Judging from your post history I am not surprised.
because he's not a scout.
It makes no sense. The explaination that he needs to review film on potential FA's... The Senior Bowl happens only now and he can review film anytime. Wouldn't we want him there especially for QB's since he would be the superior QB evaluator compared to Baalke? The last time Baalke had the bright idea to trade up for a player he picked an OT who can't pass block...

I was hoping we could avoid this situation on at least QB. The QB would be "Harbaugh approved" and we would get the right guy instead of the wrong guy. This is a team that says "the QB of the future is not on the roster." If that's the case wouldn't you want the HC who is an expert QB evaluator and QB developer to be at the Senior Bowl where there are many 1st, 2nd and 3rd round potential prospects? It doesn't make sense.

That was Nolan and Sings gig, Harbaugh relys on others and has a pretty good idea!
I thought I read somewhere that he is focusing on FA, assuming there is one...
Not to show the hands, maybe?
To me it's really simple.

Either Harbaugh has already found the QB he wants (could be at the Sr. Bowl, could not be) and going there is futile.

OR

Harbaugh does NOT think the QB he wants is at the Sr. Bowl (which would suck because my 2 fav's are Stanzi and Dalton).

Whatever the case may be, i COMPLETELY trust Harbaugh knows what he's doing when it comes to the QB position. And since Baalke is the guy with the say so on all other positions he doesn't need The Harb for anything outside of QB.

Originally posted by BobS:
What is wrong with you blind homers? There is nothing wrong with raising questions.
The statements like "Harbaugh knows what he is doing", crack me up. He was a successful head coach in COLLEGE, how have all the hot shot college coaches done in the pros lately? They have all tanked, see Nick Saban, Bobby Petrino, Steve Spurrier.
What gives this guy a pass on questioning what he is doing?, nothing he has no cred in the pros yet.

I agree.
Originally posted by Ripamaru:
It makes no sense. The explaination that he needs to review film on potential FA's... The Senior Bowl happens only now and he can review film anytime. Wouldn't we want him there especially for QB's since he would be the superior QB evaluator compared to Baalke? The last time Baalke had the bright idea to trade up for a player he picked an OT who can't pass block...

I was hoping we could avoid this situation on at least QB. The QB would be "Harbaugh approved" and we would get the right guy instead of the wrong guy. This is a team that says "the QB of the future is not on the roster." If that's the case wouldn't you want the HC who is an expert QB evaluator and QB developer to be at the Senior Bowl where there are many 1st, 2nd and 3rd round potential prospects? It doesn't make sense.

Why would he waste his time watching a few future backup QB's play in the senior bowl?

Remember that he knows more about them than you do.........He is smart enough to see that there isn't a single capable senior QB in the draft.......

Doesn't appear to be a single starting QB in this draft period, much less at the senior bowl....

Hate to burst everyones bubble but if you are expecting us to get a great future QB out of this draft you are going to be sorely disappointed.....

This is the worst group of QB's I have ever seen considered in the first round......

We are picking this year. So we have to be ready to go. It's not next year and we don't know what position we will pick at next year anyway. We have a top 10 pick so we better be ready to pick.

So because we have a top 10 pick we have to waste it on a backup QB?????

I fail to see any logic in your posts......

There are no QB's in this draft.........Watching QB's that suck is a waste of time.....

We need to be ready to pick someone useful.....not one of these bums being floated as 1st rounders....

Why would he waste his time watching a few future backup QB's play in the senior bowl?

Remember that he knows more about them than you do.........He is smart enough to see that there isn't a single capable senior QB in the draft.......

Doesn't appear to be a single starting QB in this draft period, much less at the senior bowl....

Hate to burst everyones bubble but if you are expecting us to get a great future QB out of this draft you are going to be sorely disappointed.....

This is the worst group of QB's I have ever seen considered in the first round......

We are picking this year. So we have to be ready to go. It's not next year and we don't know what position we will pick at next year anyway. We have a top 10 pick so we better be ready to pick.

So because we have a top 10 pick we have to waste it on a backup QB?????

I fail to see any logic in your posts......

There are no QB's in this draft.........Watching QB's that suck is a waste of time.....

We need to be ready to pick someone useful.....not one of these bums being floated as 1st rounders....

Maybe that's what they will do. But they should do their due diligence too and be there. Maybe they will be more impressed than they think in person. Keep an open mind.
He was too busy in Chicago scouting Caleb Hanie
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
He was too busy in Chicago scouting Caleb Hanie

I wouldn't mind getting him.
Share 49ersWebzone