There are 169 users in the forums

Why is Harbaugh not going to the Senior Bowl?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Originally posted by excelsior:
Here is why San Diego's concern carries currency: Harbaugh knows what kind of passing offense he likes to run. He will have a better feel than Baalke as to what qualities he is looking for in a QB. One of those qualities may be his personality and temperament. This calls for one-on-one face time - talking to the kid, listening to his answers, watching how he carries himself, etc. These are the intagibles that do not readily disclose themselves on tape. The above are reasons why I, like San Diego, thought he would have wanted to go.

So why did he not go? Jokingly, I might suggest that after looking at the film and having a nice conversation with Alex, he feels he already has his QB. Perhaps they do not intend to draft one of the Senior Bowl QBs, but rather plan on studying more closely (with private workouts) the next tier of QBs that they could take in the 3rd or 4th round.

YUP...

Gee... you're right. I hope Harbaugh has heard of the Combine, Pro Days, and requested personal visits or else he is in trouble.

He should go to all of these events. He should be able to do "more than 1 thing at once."

Maybe he heard that all they have at the senoir bowl is outhouses for bathrooms and he doesnt feel comfortable using outhouses...
Originally posted by horsecore:
Originally posted by Atl49er:
Jim already knows he doesn't want Locker and the other Qb's participating in the Senior Bowl. He knows Cam will be there waiting for us @ #7!!!

Love ya Jimmy Baby, take Cam, get us a veteran west coast qb once free agency commences and the 9ers are back!!

What does he know about Stanzi?

Your assumption that Harbaugh apparently lived in a box and only watched or studied PAC10 games is ludicrous.

I guess coaches never watch other successful programs, do they?

What does he know about Kaepernick?

Im sure he KNOWS More then you do...
[ Edited by SashRoxx-1 on Jan 23, 2011 at 7:42 AM ]
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Maybe he isn't planning on selecting a QB or maybe he is more concerned with the real mechanics that will be on display at the combine. I don't think we take a Qb until the middle rounds.

Real mechanics will be on display in an actual game. Like the Senior Bowl. Pretend mechanics are the combine and individual workouts. Alex even did well at individual workouts. It's not a real situation with a pass rush and DB's defending. You don't learn much from that.

You were at the combine watching A Smith in person Cool...Ohhh You werent? I thought you said you have to see them LIVE with your own eyes...So HOW are YOU able to make that statement that he did well??? Please explain how YOU can see things on the TV that Harbaugh cant?
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Baalke will be there...he's a former scout and knows what he's looking for. He and Harbaugh have talked...I'm sure a lot. It also tells me they're probably not that high on the QB's who will be there. Harbaugh's first priority is to acquire a veteran QB...someone he can start the season with. That's a big reason he'll be looking at film...something he woulcn't be able to do in Mobile, at least to any extent. Harbaugh and Baalke are a team...as they should be. If they agree it's better for JH to study current NFL players, not only to evaluate their trade potential, but to begin the process of reviewing his own, that makes sense to me. He doesn't have the luxury of knowing his own roster...so is diving into it now. I really don't have a problem with his m.o.

This makes a lot of sense

Nevertheless, San Deigo does make a valid point.

This indicates that Baalke will indeed be the primary architect of the Niners roster. With input from Harbaugh when solicited. Not the other way around as most people have jumped to the conclusion on.

Harbaugh is coach, not chief talent evaluator at large. Harbaugh is on board with this. He has said that he does not want final responsibility on talent evaluation. Probably, he would like to limit what's on his plate. Spend, at least, some time with the family. Young baby at home, etc.

Ideally fans would like him to be 100% of the time on the Niner clock, but he probably wants a life too. He's not a Jeff Fisher, who IMO is not a life model to be following.

People want Harbaugh to be the do all, be all of the Niners. Calm down . . . he isn't.

As to whether his not being on hand to witness QB nuances live is the best use of his time? At first blush, possibly not. But keeping a head coach happy (more family time) may have its benefits too.
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
Nolan was Coach Senior Bowl
Harbaugh = Coach Multitask?
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Baalke will be there...he's a former scout and knows what he's looking for. He and Harbaugh have talked...I'm sure a lot. It also tells me they're probably not that high on the QB's who will be there. Harbaugh's first priority is to acquire a veteran QB...someone he can start the season with. That's a big reason he'll be looking at film...something he woulcn't be able to do in Mobile, at least to any extent. Harbaugh and Baalke are a team...as they should be. If they agree it's better for JH to study current NFL players, not only to evaluate their trade potential, but to begin the process of reviewing his own, that makes sense to me. He doesn't have the luxury of knowing his own roster...so is diving into it now. I really don't have a problem with his m.o.

This indicates that Baalke will indeed be the primary architect of the Niners roster. With input from Harbaugh when solicited. Not the other way around as most people have jumped to the conclusion on.

Harbaugh is coach, not chief talent evaluator at large. Harbaugh is on board with this. He has said that he does not want final responsibility on talent evaluation. Probably, he would like to limit what's on his plate. Spend, at least, some time with the family. Young baby at home, etc.

Ideally fans would like him to be 100% of the time on the Niner clock, but he probably wants a life too. He's not a Jeff Fisher, who IMO is not a life model to be following.

People want Harbaugh to be the do all, be all of the Niners. Calm down . . . he isn't.

As to whether his not being on hand to witness QB nuances live is the best use of his time? At first blush, possibly not. But keeping a head coach happy (more family time) may have its benefits too.

Quote:
Harbaugh is coach, not chief talent evaluator at large.

While Baalke IS chief evaluator, under the newly installed WCO, I guarantee Harbaugh will give the thumbs up or thumbs down when it comes to finding the cogs that makes Harbaugh's machine run. Baalke did not coach the WCO. I'm sure Harbaugh informed Baalke on what to look for, and that tape will be reviewed and potential prospects weeded out or put on the board by Harbaugh.

Remember Baalke came to the Niners after the WCO area. Just as Harbaugh assembled his staff, he will surely do the same for player personnel, with Baalke's blessings of course.

• BobS
  • Veteran
What is wrong with you blind homers? There is nothing wrong with raising questions.
The statements like "Harbaugh knows what he is doing", crack me up. He was a successful head coach in COLLEGE, how have all the hot shot college coaches done in the pros lately? They have all tanked, see Nick Saban, Bobby Petrino, Steve Spurrier.
What gives this guy a pass on questioning what he is doing?, nothing he has no cred in the pros yet.
i think alex smith is coming back.
Doesn't bother me that he's missing the Senior Bowl because he can just watch the fil on the guys. It's not like he was going to be able to get up close and personal with any of the guys if he went.

The combine is a far more critical area because there he'll be able to talk to the guys, ask them questions about their decision making, and get a better feel for the guys than from just watching the tape.

He knows that QB is going to be the biggest decision of his NFL coaching career so I'll trust that he'll do everything to not screw it up.
Originally posted by boast:
SD souring on Harbaugh?!?!

well that was quick!

I like Harbaugh. But this decision is curious. Baalke blocking him from going?... It makes zero sense not to have the best QB evaluator there. He needs to be there period. We need a QB and Harbaugh needs to be there.

lol stop pretending to be a scouting expert. He was a college coach...you really think he hasn't already seen/scouted these players? Enough with this "he HAS to go to the senior bowl!" nonsense. He knows what he's doing.

Originally posted by Sjceruti:
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:

Baakle will have control over the roster. That was made clear at the first press conference held.

But, honesty should prevail. I am willilng to admit that I have no idea about the internal functiooing of the team--much less why a specific decsion is made. Even if I knew the specific reasons, I might not have the knowledge required to undersand the decesions made.

The bottom line is not that complex--If the team wins, I willl be happy. I hope tha tthere is no lock out.
this post is a complete waste of time.. haters are always hating!!!

if harbaugh think is best to stay, well I think he will stay... and unless you think he doesn't want to win, he has to have a darn good reason to do so.

this is ridiculous....

lets go niners!!!

I agree completely.

There are no QB's worth seeing in person, and Harbaugh trusts his scouts. He trusted them at Stanford and was obviously good at evaluating talent on film, thats why Stanford was so successful, and why he is now our coach.

Our Last two coaches put a lot of emphasis on the senior bowl and look where that got them...
It's been mentioned several times that Harbaugh delivered some pretty spot on grades for David Garrard, Joey Harrington, and Tony Romo. Does anyone know if those guys went to the Senior Bowl? If so, was Harbaugh there to evaluate them? I just don't know enough about the man's techniques for evaluating QBs to make any judgment yet. I do have some information on the results of his evaluation techniques, so I will remain optimistic concerning his absence from the Senior Bowl.

Also, I believe it was stated on one of the Matts' twitters that Harbaugh was also staying to install the schemes with his new coaching staff, and that he was looking to make a few more hires on the staff. Add that on to the talent evaluation of our team, our divisional opponents, the rest of our opponents on next year's schedule, and the pool of potential free agents, and I'd say that's plenty to keep the coach busy.

I also don't agree with the notion that attending the Senior Bowl allows a coach to see how a player responds in game situations. One, it's an All-Star type game, with little-to-no existing chemistry between players. Two, Harbaugh would not be on the sideline, so any information gathered from the actual game could be gathered from the film. Three, I think it's pretty telling that by the time the game actually rolls around, most of the GMs and coaches are gone. They're interested in the practices. There are other avenues to see a player practice.
[ Edited by AthensGaNiner on Jan 23, 2011 at 10:24 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone