LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 150 users in the forums

Why is Harbaugh not going to the Senior Bowl?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Anyways, I thought that Harbaugh was going to the Senior Bowl...

Where does it say he isn't?

Articles said he isn't. He wants to watch film of FA's and not be at the Senior Bowl...

Wait, our FAs? Or the ones from other teams?

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/01/22/3342979/49ers-notes-harbaugh-takes-clean.html#mi_rss=49ers

"Not going Mobile – While general manager Trent Baalke will head to the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., on Sunday, Harbaugh said he would remain at team headquarters and do film work on upcoming free agents.

The 49ers will be scouting quarterbacks throughout the offseason. Six of them – Nevada's Colin Kaepernick, Washington's Jake Locker, TCU's Andy Dalton, Florida State's Christian Ponder, Alabama's Greg McElroy and Iowa's Ricky Stanzi – will be on hand in Mobile."

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/01/22/3342979/49ers-notes-harbaugh-takes-clean.html#ixzz1BoWXFpBM

Why do we not want him there for that?... Locker, Dalton, Stanzi, Ponder and Kaepernick respectively. Those are potentially good QB's. Not as high on McElroy.

Thanks SD, I missed that article.

But I'm sure there will be tape of the Senior Bowl practices that Harbaugh can go back to look on. After all Harbaugh has done up close scouting with him coming from the college ranks, its the NFL players that he needs catching up on. The Combine and Pro Days and inviting players for private workouts leading up to the draft will give him a lot of time to evaluate players.

That's the aticle I was speaking of. It's seems absurd to me. A HC with no QB on the team should go.

More speculation on my behalf...of course, but maybe hes looking into NFL QB film on who are realistic trade options?? Like I said, with him coming from college, I'm sure hes had more than enough time to scout college players. In college its pretty useless looking at game film of NFL players, especially the hours that HC's put in to game planning in college and the NFL.

I think that would hold water if you are talking about PAC 10 only. He's seen and faced those guys. He knows what they got. But Stanzi is Big 10 for example. What does he know about him? Probably nothing.

Follow the bold letters.

He should be able to do "more than 1 thing at once." We learned from Barack Obama that all great men can do more than one thing at at time... Can Harbaugh not walk and chew gum at the same time? Can't he take his laptop with game film DVD's and review them in his hotel room while also doing his due diligence at the Senior Bowl?

just a side note. you know they don't watch game tape on regular dvd players, right?
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

Articles said he isn't. He wants to watch film of FA's and not be at the Senior Bowl...

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/01/22/3342979/49ers-notes-harbaugh-takes-clean.html#mi_rss=49ers

"Not going Mobile – While general manager Trent Baalke will head to the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., on Sunday, Harbaugh said he would remain at team headquarters and do film work on upcoming free agents.

The 49ers will be scouting quarterbacks throughout the offseason. Six of them – Nevada's Colin Kaepernick, Washington's Jake Locker, TCU's Andy Dalton, Florida State's Christian Ponder, Alabama's Greg McElroy and Iowa's Ricky Stanzi – will be on hand in Mobile."

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/01/22/3342979/49ers-notes-harbaugh-takes-clean.html#ixzz1BoWXFpBM

Why do we not want him there for that?... Locker, Dalton, Stanzi, Ponder and Kaepernick respectively. Those are potentially good QB's. Not as high on McElroy.

But I'm sure there will be tape of the Senior Bowl practices that Harbaugh can go back to look on. After all Harbaugh has done up close scouting with him coming from the college ranks, its the NFL players that he needs catching up on. The Combine and Pro Days and inviting players for private workouts leading up to the draft will give him a lot of time to evaluate players.

That's the aticle I was speaking of. It's seems absurd to me. A HC with no QB on the team should go.

More speculation on my behalf...of course, but maybe hes looking into NFL QB film on who are realistic trade options?? Like I said, with him coming from college, I'm sure hes had more than enough time to scout college players. In college its pretty useless looking at game film of NFL players, especially the hours that HC's put in to game planning in college and the NFL.

I think that would hold water if you are talking about PAC 10 only. He's seen and faced those guys. He knows what they got. But Stanzi is Big 10 for example. What does he know about him? Probably nothing.

Follow the bold letters.

He should be able to do "more than 1 thing at once." We learned from Barack Obama that all great men can do more than one thing at at time... Can Harbaugh not walk and chew gum at the same time? Can't he take his laptop with game film DVD's and review them in his hotel room while also doing his due diligence at the Senior Bowl?

just a side note. you know they don't watch game tape on regular dvd players, right?

They have the technology in the world to transfer it to a DVD format so he can watch it on his laptop in his hotel room at the Senior Bowl. That is the whole point. This is the traveling way for him to do more than 1 thing at once...

Follow the bold letters.

They have the technology in the world to transfer it to a DVD format so he can watch it on his laptop in his hotel room at the Senior Bowl. That is the whole point. This is the traveling way for him to do more than 1 thing at once...

This is weird. New coach not going to the senior bowl. At least with Nolan we had this much. Nolan never missed coaching in it...let alone being there!

Follow the bold letters.

This is weird. New coach not going to the senior bowl. At least with Nolan we had this much. Nolan never missed coaching in it...let alone being there!

I agree 100%...
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boast:
SD souring on Harbaugh?!?!

well that was quick!

I like Harbaugh. But this decision is curious. Baalke blocking him from going?... It makes zero sense not to have the best QB evaluator there. He needs to be there period. We need a QB and Harbaugh needs to be there.

I agree that the decision is curious. Curious enough that I have spent the last couple of days, trying to figure it out.

Given that I have no real information on how the decesion was reached or the thought process of those involved, I remain curious.

My guess is that Baakle and Harbaugh already have a good sense of what quarterbacks interest them and why. In short, the senior bowl is not going to provide much more information about the quaterbacks they might draft.

One might be able to conclude that:

1. They are either interested in an underclass quaterback or mayber the guy from Washington--Locker???.

2. At the senior bowl, they are going to foucs on needs other than quaterback, such as CB and OLB--and Baakle is key in those areas.

Also, I would not be surprized if Harbaugh somehow ends up in Mobile before the week is over.
Baalke will be there...he's a former scout and knows what he's looking for. He and Harbaugh have talked...I'm sure a lot. It also tells me they're probably not that high on the QB's who will be there. Harbaugh's first priority is to acquire a veteran QB...someone he can start the season with. That's a big reason he'll be looking at film...something he woulcn't be able to do in Mobile, at least to any extent. Harbaugh and Baalke are a team...as they should be. If they agree it's better for JH to study current NFL players, not only to evaluate their trade potential, but to begin the process of reviewing his own, that makes sense to me. He doesn't have the luxury of knowing his own roster...so is diving into it now. I really don't have a problem with his m.o.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Baalke will be there...he's a former scout and knows what he's looking for. He and Harbaugh have talked...I'm sure a lot. It also tells me they're probably not that high on the QB's who will be there. Harbaugh's first priority is to acquire a veteran QB...someone he can start the season with. That's a big reason he'll be looking at film...something he woulcn't be able to do in Mobile, at least to any extent. Harbaugh and Baalke are a team...as they should be. If they agree it's better for JH to study current NFL players, not only to evaluate their trade potential, but to begin the process of reviewing his own, that makes sense to me. He doesn't have the luxury of knowing his own roster...so is diving into it now. I really don't have a problem with his m.o.

This makes a lot of sense

well that was quick!

I like Harbaugh. But this decision is curious. Baalke blocking him from going?... It makes zero sense not to have the best QB evaluator there. He needs to be there period. We need a QB and Harbaugh needs to be there.

Maybe Just maybe Harbaugh has decided that theres nobody really in the draft he's interested in using with the #7 pick or even the 2nd round pick that his interest is in a QB thats a FA or someone he's going to try working out a trade for.

But then again judging from your posts Ive learned that the Niners could run a streak of 5 SB wins in a row and YOU would STILL find a reason to MOPE and Whine about something...You are one of the reasons outside of SF the team is called the 40whiners
Originally posted by British9er:
I was a little surprised too when I heard that but I trust harbaugh knows what he is doing.

He has inherited 60 plus players he needs to evaluate with his new coaches before he can start thinking about evaluating the potential FAs and trade options out there to upgrade the team and the draft.

As the point was made earlier actually coaching the senior bowl did not seem to help McNolan too much so does it really matter?

If he bales on the combine then we can start to worry.

I'm already worried. Is Baalke pulling a power play? Not allowing him there? Why wouldn't you want your best QB evaluator there?

Scot M. and NoWin failed because they suck. I was hoping for better this time.

So you HEARD Baalke telling Harbaugh I dont want you there? You were there when they had this discussion? If NOT its just a RUMOR you are trying to spread...
TROLL ALERT!

Originally posted by Wodwo:

well that was quick!

You claim that you do not have blind faith.

You have no idea why the decision was made, yet you decide to cast it in a negative light.

So, you do believe in blind hate.

This is called hypocrisy.

It was a guess. That's why there is a "?".... But there is no reason for him not to be there. None. Take his damn laptop and plug in the DVD's and watch the film while he is at the Senior Bowl. We learned from President Obama that important people should be "able to do more than one thing at a time."

obviously there is since he's not going
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

This makes a lot of sense
Originally posted by 49ersOnMINE:
Originally posted by excelsior:
We come to this board to discuss and debate issues regarding the team. I thought SanDiego raised a perfectly good question. I thought it was unusual, too.

None of us know the reason or the circumstances, but it does seem something out of the ordinary.

^^^

This.

I understand your concern but at the same time thats why we pay the scouts to do there job and baalke who used to be a scout to watch the players, you said he can always bring the DVD or film with him, but he can also watch the senior bowl from his office right? there will be plenty of sources to scout the QB's you still have the combine and private workouts. RELAX my friend!

I don't.

Originally posted by genus49:
Baalke can go and let Jim know everything that happened. I'm sure they may even be allowed to tape the practices.

Why does he necessarily have to see it with his own eyes? Sure it would be good if both of them went but it's not a necessity. It's not like the senior bowl practices is the only way to evaluate those guys.

It's better if he is there. He can see things with his own eyes that you can't see on tape. Such as this guy is big and strong and physically impossing. Or not. You can't always tell that on tape. The accuracy is apparent in person as well for QB's.

So let me ask you this...HOW Many times have you been to a Niner game live??? reeason is BY your logic you are sayin a PRO like Harbaugh cant see something on film that he'd see Live...HOW Can you Bash the Niners if you dont see them Live on a regular basis and that DOESNT mean watching the team on TV cause thats NOT live as you claim...So how is it a scrub ((You,,,cause you're NOT a pro) not trying to bash him Mods but a scrub to be is a non pro)...cause you seem to have bashed the team alot going by your quote here saying you need to see them in person YOU Dont have the say so to Bash the team when you dont see them in person..

Like I said You'd find a reason to BASH the Niners if they went on a SB binge winning 5 in a row.

Agreed.
Share 49ersWebzone