LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 295 users in the forums

Why is Harbaugh not going to the Senior Bowl?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Another consideration is that he has watched film on a number of teams and already has a few players in mind.
Originally posted by TDilvr:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by boast:
SD souring on Harbaugh?!?!

well that was quick!

I like Harbaugh. But this decision is curious. Baalke blocking him from going?... It makes zero sense not to have the best QB evaluator there. He needs to be there period. We need a QB and Harbaugh needs to be there.

Perhaps Harbaugh has already determined that Alex Smith is his man and he doesn't need to waste his time going and looking at a bunch of stiffs.
He has people evaluating for him guys that he trusts while he examines FA's lots of teams do this.
They should totally fire this nitwit
I have trust in Harbaugh. Go niners.
[ Edited by BayStreamin510 on Jan 22, 2011 at 11:27 PM ]
Originally posted by niner4life21:

well that was quick!

I like Harbaugh. But this decision is curious. Baalke blocking him from going?... It makes zero sense not to have the best QB evaluator there. He needs to be there period. We need a QB and Harbaugh needs to be there.

Perhaps Harbaugh has already determined that Alex Smith is his man and he doesn't need to waste his time going and looking at a bunch of stiffs.

Maybe he's not going to rely on one week's worth of practice to determine who would be an adequate QB.
[ Edited by niners94 on Jan 22, 2011 at 11:33 PM ]
Originally posted by excelsior:
We come to this board to discuss and debate issues regarding the team. I thought SanDiego raised a perfectly good question. I thought it was unusual, too.

None of us know the reason or the circumstances, but it does seem something out of the ordinary.

^^^

This.

I understand your concern but at the same time thats why we pay the scouts to do there job and baalke who used to be a scout to watch the players, you said he can always bring the DVD or film with him, but he can also watch the senior bowl from his office right? there will be plenty of sources to scout the QB's you still have the combine and private workouts. RELAX my friend!
Originally posted by 49ERSAM:
I thought I would be able to lay low and ignore the forum but who cares if Harbaugh is not going to the bowl games. This shows everybody he has confidence with his GM! Plus his GM will give him all the tapes he needs to review with any positions when he returns anyway. He's got plenty of time to make one on one interviews later on - a relaxed, professional setting what he needs to find out what kind of individuals these players they are most interested in down the road.

Right now, it should be very important to get all the coaches on the same page, come up with a great plan, processes, and procedures for a successful next year, then execute the plan according to their likings.

Could we all just sit and relax and try to enjoy this new regime - there will be plenty of time to slam, lambaste, cast offensive gestures toward them when things don't go as planned! I live here in san Diego now and I still have to find something
that will irritate me to a point I'll start posting negative things here on this forum but until then, I'll try to be as quiet as possible because I am happy as can be again, due to the recent change.

He has no reason to have confidence in that said GM. The last time that guy thought it would be a good idea to trade up he traded multiple picks for an OT who can't pass block... And he used our 2nd round pick on a Safety that can't play pass defense...

dude your talkin about rookies, its called learning process! you expected them to play like 10 year vet off the bat?
Originally posted by vrabbit:
Originally posted by niner4life21:

well that was quick!

• cools
  • Veteran
Film, Assistant coaches and GM he trusts, already had a tee time at Pebble, who knows
It makes no sense. The explaination that he needs to review film on potential FA's... The Senior Bowl happens only now and he can review film anytime. Wouldn't we want him there especially for QB's since he would be the superior QB evaluator compared to Baalke? The last time Baalke had the bright idea to trade up for a player he picked an OT who can't pass block...

I was hoping we could avoid this situation on at least QB. The QB would be "Harbaugh approved" and we would get the right guy instead of the wrong guy. This is a team that says "the QB of the future is not on the roster." If that's the case wouldn't you want the HC who is an expert QB evaluator and QB developer to be at the Senior Bowl where there are many 1st, 2nd and 3rd round potential prospects? It doesn't make sense.

Why would he waste his time watching a few future backup QB's play in the senior bowl?

Remember that he knows more about them than you do.........He is smart enough to see that there isn't a single capable senior QB in the draft.......

Doesn't appear to be a single starting QB in this draft period, much less at the senior bowl....

Hate to burst everyones bubble but if you are expecting us to get a great future QB out of this draft you are going to be sorely disappointed.....

This is the worst group of QB's I have ever seen considered in the first round......
Originally posted by Ripamaru:
It makes no sense. The explaination that he needs to review film on potential FA's... The Senior Bowl happens only now and he can review film anytime. Wouldn't we want him there especially for QB's since he would be the superior QB evaluator compared to Baalke? The last time Baalke had the bright idea to trade up for a player he picked an OT who can't pass block...

I was hoping we could avoid this situation on at least QB. The QB would be "Harbaugh approved" and we would get the right guy instead of the wrong guy. This is a team that says "the QB of the future is not on the roster." If that's the case wouldn't you want the HC who is an expert QB evaluator and QB developer to be at the Senior Bowl where there are many 1st, 2nd and 3rd round potential prospects? It doesn't make sense.

Why would he waste his time watching a few future backup QB's play in the senior bowl?

Remember that he knows more about them than you do.........He is smart enough to see that there isn't a single capable senior QB in the draft.......

Doesn't appear to be a single starting QB in this draft period, much less at the senior bowl....

Hate to burst everyones bubble but if you are expecting us to get a great future QB out of this draft you are going to be sorely disappointed.....

This is the worst group of QB's I have ever seen considered in the first round......

We are picking this year. So we have to be ready to go. It's not next year and we don't know what position we will pick at next year anyway. We have a top 10 pick so we better be ready to pick.
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Harbaugh doesn't owe me an explanation, but hey that's just me. I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

It doesn't appear so on this decision. I want the best QB evaluator there for the 49ers. And he's not there...

Blind faith doesn't work with me.

It's not blind faith, it's simply trusting a man to his job, who at this point in time I have no reason to distrust.

He just came from the college ranks. I'm sure he's done quite a bit of QB scouting prior to getting the job with the 49ers.

But he didn't play all those teams. He played in the PAC 10. So it's reasonable to assume he knows those guys. What about the other ones? Gabbert and Mallett are not PAC 10 guys. Wouldn't he want to take a closer look?

Except Mallett and Gabbert aren't at the Senior Bowl. This fact alone illustrates your complete lack of knowledge of the situation.

You're drawing conclusions and making knee jerk reactions based off his desire to review film rather than make the trip to Alabama. It's reasonable to assume that Harbaugh is letting Baalke do his job as the General Manager, while he personally focuses on finding a serviceable Quarterback (among other needs).

The Senior Bowl is an excellent venue to evaluate talent, but it's not the only source for reviewing talent. It sounds as though Harbaugh is putting in long hours at the office in an attempt to catch himself up. You think he isn't reviewing college film of draft eligible Quarterbacks?

i think it shows they complement each other right away and have trust : one is there to do the interviewing, see work ethic, the character of the guys (baalke) while the other do what he does best : look at the film and detect the accuracy, the athleticism ... (harbaugh) No need to have two men do the same thing.
I approve this move
Oh that's right. Internet trolls know the inter workings of NFL scouting process better than one of the best in the game. How could I forget?
Share 49ersWebzone