LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

Niner Scouts

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It appears that Harbaugh has done a very good job hiring competent assistant coaches. I think another problem that must be addressed is the scouting department. Teams that always have fantastic drafts have scouts that know how to draft in the middle rounds 3-6. Their scouts are able to spot talent. The 49ers have not been able to draft well recently and it has been a major reason why the team has not done well.

Does anyone know if there have been any changes to the scouting department as part of the overhaul?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
None that I have heard of. Its still pretty much the same team as McClueless had. This is why I didnt want Baalke as GM, we needed a fresh outlook on the roster.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
The scouting process is done during the season and continues after. You can't fire them now.

Do we even know for sure who hired each scout?

Are you sure the scouts are the problem?

The scouts don't make the final decisions.
Why are you assuming the scouting department is the problem? What if they are not simply being listened to?
Originally posted by susweel:
None that I have heard of. Its still pretty much the same team as McClueless had. This is why I didnt want Baalke as GM, we needed a fresh outlook on the roster.

Every player has the potential to be good and even great. The coaching staff i think is more responsible for grooming those young players then the scouts
The scouts will voice their opinion, Baalke will make the final decision with input from Harbaugh and the the coaching staff. As Someone said, the coaches will make their wish list. Based on what happened last year when sing wanted OL, and Ballke got who he thought was best for us. If there is a QB that Harbaugh says we have to get Ballke will listen. Scouts just recommend. You may not realize this most of the scouts on the niners payroll are from before Scotts time. It comes down to scout knowing what kind of player you (the GM are looking for). Only the two or three positions under Baalke get changed like Director of Player Personnel (which was when Baalke got promoted.)

so your saying baalke did a bad job this last year?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by wailers15:

Not sure yet, its too early to tell.

cant s**t can the dept a few months before the draft
Originally posted by jreff22:

why not they seemed to have no problem doing the same thing to our GM last year.......

Originally posted by FederalAgent49:
Originally posted by jreff22:

why not they seemed to have no problem doing the same thing to our GM last year.......

thats 1 guy...all of them would be detrimental
Jim Harbaugh is the only scout we need. Thats the biggest scout we aquired this offseason.
Scouts find players.

General Managers draft players.

The 49ers' scouting department is comprised primarily of Baalke hires from last season and holdovers from Steve Mariucci's tenure.

The desire to change for the sake of change is incredibly ignorant and shortsighted. Not every person in the scouting department is responsible for the failures of the team.
I'm sure Baalke will make a couple of hires here and there for the scouting department as time goes by now that he's GM.

He hired Harbaugh, I'd give him a chance while having full control of the draft for a couple of years before making a decision.
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
I'm sure Baalke will make a couple of hires here and there for the scouting department as time goes by now that he's GM.

He hired Harbaugh, I'd give him a chance while having full control of the draft for a couple of years before making a decision.

This
Share 49ersWebzone