LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 297 users in the forums

FS, SS positions?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GIMMEa6thSHIP:
To be completely honest, who played well in the secondary this year? We can solve our problems with the secondary through free agency instead of taking a risk on a guy like Prince Amukamara and saving the 1st and 2nd picks for pass rushers or interior D linemen. He got lit up by Justin Blackmon from OSU who is an NFL caliber receiver, whats he going to do against receivers who are better than Blackmon week in and week out? Patrick Peterson is going be taken before the 7th pick so we shouldnt waste our pick with the 2nd best CB and take the best available player.

I know, the CBA makes this extremely complicated. But if Jed's serious about winning like he says he is, he should take a page outta Eddie D's book and put some money into the team. We're in one of the biggest markets in the country and have one of the most storied franchises in the NFL; its ridiculous to be as bad as we are. We hired a good coach in Harbaugh, I'm confident he'll make the offense 3x better with the weapons we already have. We need to give Fangio some good players in the secondary. The draft will take care of our front 7.

CUT Nate Clements - he's not worth his contract AT ALL
CUT Shawntae Spencer - there's better talent available
CUT Dashon Goldson - blows too many coverages and gets burned down field
CUT Reggie Smith - he's a back up at best

SIGN Nnamdi Asomugha,- shut down corner worth every penny
SIGN Champ Bailey - says hes ready to play FS
SIGN Brent Grimes or Ike Taylor - both are solid CB's
Taylor Mays at SS - I think he can succeed with good talent and mentors around

Ike won't leave the Steelers, it's pretty clear he isn't in it for the money and he is well on his way to his 3rd ring. Same will be applied to Grimes, the falcons are way ahead of our team and if he isn't financially motivated I guarantee he will be staying in ATL.
Harbaugh will probably lay down an ultimatum on Clements to move to FS or get out of town so I Bailey is a probably nothing more then an emergency backup plan at FS.

Along with the draft prospects of Amukamara, Brandon Harris, Brandon Burton, and Rashad Carmichael to name a few we will be picking from players like Chris Carr, Fabian Washington, Josh Wilson, Eric Wright, Jason Allen, Lito Sheppard at the CB position.

On the SS/FS are best options include Dawan Landry, Brodney Pool, Gerald Sensabaugh, Matt Ware, and Melvin Bullitt. Along with Raheem we will be able to pick from DeAndre McDanel, Ahmad Black, Robert Sands, and Quinton Carter.

There is no shortage of talent but as Harbaugh said he is "evaluating the entire roster" -- essentially saying only the big names like Willis are "safe".

If you know the Ravens roster at all they have 3 CBs and a SS set to hit the market along with Haloti Ngata. Ngata gets the high priority so we could have a fair shot at any of the others.

The Jets would probably be inclined to let Pool go due to Dwight Lowery's improved play.

With the Vikings if I am remembering correctly they have something like 9 expiring contracts on the defensive side of the ball, including players like Sheppard or even Ben Leber, Chad Greenway, or Ray Edwards to speak to another big needs for us.

A lot of teams really planned for 2011 really weird and have an abnormal amount of FAs. With that in mind I think Baalke and Harbaugh will break the mold of recent GMs and HCs and spend pretty big in FA.
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 21, 2011 at 5:18 PM ]
To be completely honest, who played well in the secondary this year? We can solve our problems with the secondary through free agency instead of taking a risk on a guy like Prince Amukamara and saving the 1st and 2nd picks for pass rushers or interior D linemen. He got lit up by Justin Blackmon from OSU who is an NFL caliber receiver, whats he going to do against receivers who are better than Blackmon week in and week out? Patrick Peterson is going be taken before the 7th pick so we shouldnt waste our pick with the 2nd best CB and take the best available player.

I know, the CBA makes this extremely complicated. But if Jed's serious about winning like he says he is, he should take a page outta Eddie D's book and put some money into the team. We're in one of the biggest markets in the country and have one of the most storied franchises in the NFL; its ridiculous to be as bad as we are. We hired a good coach in Harbaugh, I'm confident he'll make the offense 3x better with the weapons we already have. We need to give Fangio some good players in the secondary. The draft will take care of our front 7.

lol so cut our two starting corners? u think guys are just gonna be lining up to get on the niners roster?
Originally posted by sfout:

Ike won't leave the Steelers, it's pretty clear he isn't in it for the money and he is well on his way to his 3rd ring. Same will be applied to Grimes, the falcons are way ahead of our team and if he isn't financially motivated I guarantee he will be staying in ATL.
Harbaugh will probably lay down an ultimatum on Clements to move to FS or get out of town so I Bailey is a probably nothing more then an emergency backup plan at FS.

Along with the draft prospects of Amukamara, Brandon Harris, Brandon Burton, and Rashad Carmichael to name a few we will be picking from players like Chris Carr, Fabian Washington, Josh Wilson, Eric Wright, Jason Allen, Lito Sheppard at the CB position.

On the SS/FS are best options include Dawan Landry, Brodney Pool, Gerald Sensabaugh, Matt Ware, and Melvin Bullitt. Along with Raheem we will be able to pick from DeAndre McDanel, Ahmad Black, Robert Sands, and Quinton Carter.

There is no shortage of talent but as Harbaugh said he is "evaluating the entire roster" -- essentially saying only the big names like Willis are "safe".

If you know the Ravens roster at all they have 3 CBs and a SS set to hit the market along with Haloti Ngata. Ngata gets the high priority so we could have a fair shot at any of the others.

The Jets would probably be inclined to let Pool go due to Dwight Lowery's improved play.

With the Vikings if I am remembering correctly they have something like 9 expiring contracts on the defensive side of the ball, including players like Sheppard or even Ben Leber, Chad Greenway, or Ray Edwards to speak to another big needs for us.

A lot of teams really planned for 2011 really weird and have an abnormal amount of FAs. With that in mind I think Baalke and Harbaugh will break the mold of recent GMs and HCs and spend pretty big in FA.

Yup and the Ravens also have the same issue on their O line so I could see us getting one of their corners. I like Carr best of the three.

And idk if they're restricted or not but I like Eric Smith from the Jets as well. And to a lesser extent, Charlie Peprah from GB
Share 49ersWebzone