LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

Lynch: Harbaugh seems committed to the run

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This kind of scared me:
“Jim was very, very dedicated to establishing a run game No. 1,” Banker said. “They weren’t a lot of run plays, but the run plays that they ran they were committed to and they did a great job with them. There was a lot of use of his tight ends and unbalanced lines … He’s going to come after you with that run game and it’s the same run play over and over and over again. Maybe he’ll use some different formations, utilizing those tight ends, and getting imbalanced just to give you some problems in numbers up front.”
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/02/inside-the-49ers/power-ball-harbaugh-played-smash-mouth-at-stanford/

Sounds alot like Nolan/Sing....I really hope it's not just a simple Gore up the middle run. That play haunts me hundreds of times I can remember going here's another Gore up the middle play and they would stop it for minimal gain.

I know Harbaugh is way ahead of both Nolan and Sing as an offensive coach. I just hope he's innovative with both his passing and rushing attack as an NFL HC.

[ Edited by matt49er on Feb 1, 2011 at 23:37:14 ]
Originally posted by matt49er:
This kind of scared me:
“Jim was very, very dedicated to establishing a run game No. 1,” Banker said. “They weren’t a lot of run plays, but the run plays that they ran they were committed to and they did a great job with them. There was a lot of use of his tight ends and unbalanced lines … He’s going to come after you with that run game and it’s the same run play over and over and over again. Maybe he’ll use some different formations, utilizing those tight ends, and getting imbalanced just to give you some problems in numbers up front.”
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/02/inside-the-49ers/power-ball-harbaugh-played-smash-mouth-at-stanford/

Sounds alot like Nolan/Sing....I really hope it's not just a simple Gore up the middle run. That play haunts me hundreds of times I can remember going here's another Gore up the middle play and they would stop it for minimal gain.

I know Harbaugh is way ahead of both Nolan and Sing as an offensive coach. I just hope he's innovative with both his passing and rushing attack as an NFL HC.

i notice you are ignoring the second part where it states " Maybe he’ll use some different formations, utilizing those tight ends, and getting imbalanced just to give you some problems in numbers up front." Raye and Singletary never did that. The one run that always starts with josh morgan going in motion and stopping behind the tackle comes to mind.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by matt49er:
This kind of scared me:

i notice you are ignoring the second part where it states " Maybe he’ll use some different formations, utilizing those tight ends, and getting imbalanced just to give you some problems in numbers up front." Raye and Singletary never did that. The one run that always starts with josh morgan going in motion and stopping behind the tackle comes to mind.

Then mike pulls, and gore fallows him. haha I think the defense will be having problems, the shifts with the line. but you don't always know if it's going to be a run his playaction works nicely with it!
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Running toss plays, sure, but the instant I see Harbaugh run three straight runs up the middle I'll boo him.

even if it works and it gets us chunks of yardage??
Sings problem was the runs up the middle were not effective.Look at the Jets, they are a running team, but a succesfull running team.
The problem was never that we ran too much or passed too much or too little. It's the "when" and how we ran and pass. Down by 14? Run run screen punt. Up by 3? Run run run punt. Down by 25? Pass pass pass.

We want a strong running game at the right time. Not just a strong running game for the sake of saying you have one. We have to run and pass with some purpose. Not just go out there and do some random sht to fulfill a coaches "vision" of what an offense should look like.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
The problem was never that we ran too much or passed too much or too little. It's the "when" and how we ran and pass. Down by 14? Run run screen punt. Up by 3? Run run run punt. Down by 25? Pass pass pass.

We want a strong running game at the right time. Not just a strong running game for the sake of saying you have one. We have to run and pass with some purpose. Not just go out there and do some random sht to fulfill a coaches "vision" of what an offense should look like.

This!!!!!
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
I don't think we should worry about Sing Part 2. This guy knows when to pass which is why he gets such hype as a QB guru. He won't handcuff us to the run like Sing did. I think he'll run a balanced offense (which we are a good QB away from having)
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

Wait a second. Did you just use some logic there? You do know this is niner talk don't you?
The Words of Bill (not Bird, Walsh):

"The Play-Pass is the one fundamentally sound football play that does everything possible to contradict the basic principles of defense. I truly believe it is the single best tool available to take advantage of a disciplined defense. By using the play-pass as an integral pant of your offense you are trying to take advantage of a defensive team that is very anxious very intense and very fired-up to play football. The play-pass is one of the best ways to cool all of that emotion and intensity down because the object of the play-pass is to get the defensive team to commit to a fake run and then throw behind them. Once you get the defensive team distracted and disoriented, they begin to think about options and, therefore, are susceptible to the running game."

That last line is key. Walsh USED the pass to set up the run.

Running was the true secret of the attack behind the West Coast Offense.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by billbird2111:
The Words of Bill (not Bird, Walsh):

"The Play-Pass is the one fundamentally sound football play that does everything possible to contradict the basic principles of defense. I truly believe it is the single best tool available to take advantage of a disciplined defense. By using the play-pass as an integral pant of your offense you are trying to take advantage of a defensive team that is very anxious very intense and very fired-up to play football. The play-pass is one of the best ways to cool all of that emotion and intensity down because the object of the play-pass is to get the defensive team to commit to a fake run and then throw behind them. Once you get the defensive team distracted and disoriented, they begin to think about options and, therefore, are susceptible to the running game."

That last line is key. Walsh USED the pass to set up the run.

Running was the true secret of the attack behind the West Coast Offense.

This.

Waggle.

That's a funny word. Genius, but funny.

Share 49ersWebzone