LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 276 users in the forums

Lynch: Harbaugh seems committed to the run

Shop Find 49ers gear online
He'll do fine. He's not Nolan or Sing. He'll run it better and when we get a QB - throw it better in the WCO.

A running gane is different in the WCO than in smash-brain. It is a very smart running game.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
There is nothing wrong with liking the run the ball. The Cowboys of the 90s dominated the NFL running the ball. I didn't see to many Cowboy fans b***hing about it.

It was goon enough to get Aikman, a very good, but not great, QB into the HOF...
IMO, Aikman is the most over-rated player in the HOF. He did have some good numbers but he worked with the very best set of receivers to ever play the game that were not wearing red jerseys while playing at home.
Its not about how much we run compared to pass its about the plays themselves. The problem with Sing wasnt his ratio of run to pass IMO it was just the timing and the same 5 or 6plays. I Harbaugh likes to run thats fun because I'm sure he has a s**t load of plays both running and passing
Originally posted by dj43:
There is nothing wrong with liking the run the ball. The Cowboys of the 90s dominated the NFL running the ball. I didn't see to many Cowboy fans b***hing about it.

It was goon enough to get Aikman, a very good, but not great, QB into the HOF...
IMO, Aikman is the most over-rated player in the HOF. He did have some good numbers but he worked with the very best set of receivers to ever play the game that were not wearing red jerseys while playing at home.

This is true. Aikman was a very good and accurate passer whose skills were perfect for working behind those HOF linemen, a great running game to take any pressure off and great receivers who got open and caught everything.

He wasn't a mobile or quick sort of guy and would not have had those numbers with other teams. And there are other QBs we know about who would not have had the accuracy to take full advantage of that situation.

He was so accurate
  • dj43
Originally posted by carlgo:
Originally posted by dj43:

This is true. Aikman was a very good and accurate passer whose skills were perfect for working behind those HOF linemen, a great running game to take any pressure off and great receivers who got open and caught everything.

He wasn't a mobile or quick sort of guy and would not have had those numbers with other teams. And there are other QBs we know about who would not have had the accuracy to take full advantage of that situation.

He was so accurate
Your mention of the HOF-quality OL he had there is important. Irwin, Harper and Novachek were great but without guys like Larry Allen, Eric Williams and the rest, he would not have had the time to setup and throw as accurately as he did. That line was so consistent in providing him protection it was easy for him to get into a rhythm and put the ball where it had to be.
I would like to think Harbaugh, a former QB, is committed to figuring out a game plan that works on a week to week basis. I think he's smart enough to make an in-game adjustment, too. My Stanford football knowledge is non-existent, but didn't he (and the coaching staff) make adjustments to free up the TE's in the passing game during the second half of the Orange Bowl?
No problem with playing to our strength's. Problem last year was Singletary didn't grasp this very basic concept.

Yes, but the Cowboys were still a run first team. Compare Aikmans Stats to Emmitt Smiths.

Troy
61.5%, 32,942 Yards, 165 TDs, 141 INTs, 81.6 QB Rating

His best TD season was 23...and that was the only season in his ENTIRE CAREER that he threw 20 or more TDs.

Emmitt
18,355 Yards, 4.2 Per Carry, 164 TDs

Can you honestly say they weren't a trun first team?

My point tho wasn't that the Niners should run the ball on every down. My point was that there is nothing wrong with running the ball as long as you are still shemeing it and trying to create favorable matchups and not just trying to use mindless blunt force to win.
Originally posted by cypherninja:
I would like to think Harbaugh, a former QB, is committed to figuring out a game plan that works on a week to week basis. I think he's smart enough to make an in-game adjustment, too. My Stanford football knowledge is non-existent, but didn't he (and the coaching staff) make adjustments to free up the TE's in the passing game during the second half of the Orange Bowl?

Yes. He saw what the D was doing in the first half, made adjustment, and they blew up in the second half.
Originally posted by cypherninja:

Yes. He saw what the D was doing in the first half, made adjustment, and they blew up in the second half.

^^ So is it safe to say Harbaugh is committed to using what works?

I'm not a fan of Lynch's work. I agree with others on here that the two Matts are the best. Kawakami is kinda funny sometimes, whiny most of the other times.

Running is not a bad thing it is how you mix it up. How you disguise it. Pass when they think you going run. Sing was we're going to run what are you going to do about it, then the other team punched him in the mouth then he said let's see you do it again...

Plus Bill Walsh ran the ball at the end of the game when he was up in the 4th qtr and espcially if the other team couldn't find a rhythmn in there passing game.

The writter of that article didn't research very thoroughly, like how much of the running plays came when the Stanford was well ahead. etc. What was the balance when in the first qtr, the scond, when leading , trailing etc. I think Harbaugh is a balanced attack. People think Walsh only passed cause Joe did it so well, but look at Tyler, Craig they had 1000 yds to. Harbaughs difference will be schemeing and keeping the D guessing.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
In today's league, you pass the ball, and run to keep the defense honest.

Yes, but the Cowboys were still a run first team. Compare Aikmans Stats to Emmitt Smiths.

Troy
61.5%, 32,942 Yards, 165 TDs, 141 INTs, 81.6 QB Rating

His best TD season was 23...and that was the only season in his ENTIRE CAREER that he threw 20 or more TDs.

Emmitt
18,355 Yards, 4.2 Per Carry, 164 TDs

Can you honestly say they weren't a trun first team?

My point tho wasn't that the Niners should run the ball on every down. My point was that there is nothing wrong with running the ball as long as you are still shemeing it and trying to create favorable matchups and not just trying to use mindless blunt force to win.

I was agreeing with you. Why are you arguing with me?
I don't know why anybody is talking about the Cowboys run 1st system.

1. It isn't 1995 anymore it's a totally different league.
2. completely different coaches and players. The cowboys had 3 hall of famers at the skill positions, and eventually Larry Allen will end up being the 4th hall of famer. run 1st or not with that much talent you are gonna have great results regardless of system.

They need to be compared to the teams of today the are a run 1st offense.
Originally posted by lamontb:
I don't know why anybody is talking about the Cowboys run 1st system.

1. It isn't 1995 anymore it's a totally different league.
2. completely different coaches and players. The cowboys had 3 hall of famers at the skill positions, and eventually Larry Allen will end up being the 4th hall of famer. run 1st or not with that much talent you are gonna have great results regardless of system.

They need to be compared to the teams of today the are a run 1st offense.

Run-heavy teams with top-10 defenses are what's left in the playoffs except for GB (who is pass-heavy but also has a good defense).
[ Edited by Gavintech on Jan 21, 2011 at 1:16 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone