There are 152 users in the forums

Lynch: Harbaugh seems committed to the run

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Never had a problem w/ being committed to the run. Just hopefully Harbaugh actually knows how to do it...unlike Singletary.

We have a SOLID RB group (Gore, Dixon, Westbrook)...why wouldn't we be committed to the run? Thats our solid part on offense...plus, if anything we're likely going to have a rookie QB starting next year.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
The forward pass is just a fad, like the internet and the car.

The Internet? That will never catch on.
If you've followed Stanford the last couple of years you know they've relied heavily upon the running game . . . because they were EXTREMELY good at it. Singletary stubbornly emphasized the running game even after it became obvious we couldn't sustain drives doing so, which was insanely frustrating.

I'm pretty confident Harbaugh will adapt to what's working best.
The team should stay committed to having a good run game - this time around maybe they'll call some run plays that actually work in a given situation with how the opposing defense is aligned.
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by crzy:
Well considering the fact that we may have a rookie QB starting next year, this makes sense.

Bring along the offense slowly like the Jets did with Sanchez and the Steelers did with Big Ben

this...or we could have Josh Johnson or Kolb both 1st time starters. Harbaugh will use the strength of this O I still believe it's the run game if used right with heavy TE usage.

Originally posted by highwayone:
Kevin Lynch is the worst writer in the Bay Area. So, I choose to ignore this article.

Lynch is a professional noob.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
I wouldn't be suprised to see a run-heavy offense, especially if we end up starting a rookie QB. Harbaugh's offense at Stanford seemed to be pretty run-heavy. I am okay with runs as long as it is not 50 runs up the middle all game. We had a fairly balanced attack of run:pass ratio, but our runs were soooooo basic, they were incredibly boring to watch and very predictable...

There is nothing wrong with liking the run the ball. The Cowboys of the 90s dominated the NFL running the ball. I didn't see to many Cowboy fans b***hing about it.

The issue has been CREATIVITY in the run game. Its been creativity in BOTH the run and the pass game. Defenses were able to spot run or pass before the snap of the ball. THATS the problem.

Singletary had a "be able to run the ball even if the D knows its coming" attitude. He wanted a team that could run over people even when they knew what was coming. He wanted to be able to just destroy the other teams will by saying "Here it is. Try to stop it. You can't". That DESTROYS a teams will.

The problem is thats almost impossible to accomplish in todays NFL. You need to outscheme the other guy and create favorable matchups.

People too often think the problem was running the ball too much. Incorrect. The problem was lack of scheme in both the run and passing game.
Originally posted by matt49er:
I believe this is going to be pretty accurate. The 9ers will continue to be a run-heavy team and why not. We have Gore, Dixon and I believe coach will get Westbrooke to re-sign. A big young OL that is better at run blocking than pass protecting.

Harbaugh will bring alot of new flavor and design to the offense but I don't think we will see that many more passes vs. runs as we saw this year with Sing.

The difference will be that Harbaugh will not run it up the middle 20 times a game and will bring the right personnel packages and call a much better game than Sing's clueless bunch ever did.

I look for Frank Gore to have a big season and for the 9ers to FINALLY start resting him and using their other RBs.

Article says Harbaugh and the new OL coach use complex blocking schemes to open up the run game. That along with a competent passing game and the likes of Crabtree/VD being used properly this offense should be deadly. I say this trusting whatever QB selection Baalke/Harbaugh make.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=81422

Allot of people forget but we used to have allot of rushing yards under the WCO. Craig, Watters, Hurst just to name a few.

Yes, I know they had a bunch of revieving yards but they also had a ton of rushing yards too.

• dj43
Originally posted by susweel:
He better throw the ball, I'm tired of all this running bull s**t.

Message to Harbaugh just chuck the ball.

That is the problem. Who is going to do that?

Harbaugh appears to be doing the one thing that he can do; prepare to have a strong running game. With David Carr and a rookie at QB next season, the chances of having an effective passing game are in single digits.

It will be 2013 before this team can rely on a passing game to win.
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
Running isn't bad.

Running basically the same play with no attempt to create favorable matchups or disguise what is coming is bad.

Continuing to run your caveman running play for minimal gains while your opponent stacks the box and dares you to throw is really bad.

I doubt Harbaugh will use caveman running plays.

All-of-This...

Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
Lynch is not the 49ers beat writer you're looking for...

Originally posted by crzy:
Well considering the fact that we may have a rookie QB starting next year, this makes sense.

Bring along the offense slowly like the Jets did with Sanchez and the Steelers did with Big Ben
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by KezarLivin:
Originally posted by highwayone:
Kevin Lynch is the worst writer in the Bay Area. So, I choose to ignore this article.

This

Lynch seems to be one of the only reasonable, non-sensationalistic, non-speculative, non-highly opinionated sports writers in the bay (at least that covers the NFL). Maybe you guys just don't like that kind of journalism? Stick with your Kawakami's and Cohn's and leave the fact-based writers for the rest of us.

I call BS.

Kawakami and Cohen are horrible as well.

Lynch just always seems to me to be a week or so behind. He just never seems to know something we don't already know.

Kawakami just says stuff to piss people off and Cohn is just a crochety old man.

The only peeps to follow are the Matts....Maiocco and Barrows.

I agree the Matts are the best, but Lynch is not the same kind of writer. He's not a 49ers "beat writer" the way Maiocco or Barrows are anymore and hasn't been for a few years. The Matts are up to the minute beat-writers, Lynch is not the same thing at all. He writes ONE NFL blog post, heavily 49ers-related (but occasionally has nothing to do with the 49ers), on non-holiday weekdays and other stories for the Chronicle. He's a different animal. I don't read him for breaking news but his stories are well thought out and not sensational/speculative like most of the others are (even the Matts are guilty of this from time to time) and that is what I like about his articles.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
There is nothing wrong with liking the run the ball. The Cowboys of the 90s dominated the NFL running the ball. I didn't see to many Cowboy fans b***hing about it.

It was goon enough to get Aikman, a very good, but not great, QB into the HOF...
Share 49ersWebzone