There are 107 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Does Candlestick Park have an abnormal amoun of Old fans?

There should be a Banjo Man Appreciation Day. He's an A's fan, too.
  • mod
  • Veteran
I've been going to a couple games every year since 2005. My experience is that the old fans lack enthusiasm. They have a lot of pride and many still live in the golden years.

The younger fans, although enthusiastic lack a lot of football knowledge. Whether its screaming while we're on offense or chanting for David Carr they dont know the intricacies of the game. One thing I know is that many of them focus only on the ball and who's holding it... they fail to understand that there are 21 other men on the field affecting the play.

My best fan experience was probably Wembley... The fans were fun to be around, they understood basic football and if they had any questions there was somebody (whether it was me, or another football fanatic) to explain it to them. It had the atmosphere of a big game.

Going to Oakland was by far the worst... I'm not gonna explain much because there isnt much to talk about, all I gotta say is that there were times I wanted to kick some punks ass and there were times I feared for my life. And it was a pre-season game
  • bors
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
"NIIIIIIIIIINNNEEEEERRRRSSS"

i usually have shouted this till i am hoarse be the end of the second quarter.
we probably have more old fans than young fans simply because to get younger fans you have to be good recently. the older fans remember the days when we won double digit games every year for nearly two decades. the younger fans only remember the last 8 horrible years.

its not a bad thing to have older fans. it makes the fanbase better. one thing we should be proud is, is we have by FAR the most throwback jersies in the crowd on any given Sunday. theres so many to choose from. Montana, Rice, Lott, Young, Craig, Clark, even the occasional Brent Jones, Deion Sanders, John Taylor, Ricky Watters, BY, etc.
Originally posted by Niners99:
we probably have more old fans than young fans simply because to get younger fans you have to be good recently. the older fans remember the days when we won double digit games every year for nearly two decades. the younger fans only remember the last 8 horrible years.

its not a bad thing to have older fans. it makes the fanbase better. one thing we should be proud is, is we have by FAR the most throwback jersies in the crowd on any given Sunday. theres so many to choose from. Montana, Rice, Lott, Young, Craig, Clark, even the occasional Brent Jones, Deion Sanders, John Taylor, Ricky Watters, BY, etc.

The reality is if anyone wants the older fans to go away, then they must want the team to move away too. Season tickets & parking aint cheap. A lot of older fans are at the stage of life where it is no big deal to them to buy these things. Younger people on their high horses complaining about older folks that support the team with season ticket purchases...give me a break. Don't act like noobs. These older folks have been there all along when you were still teething on your nerf footballs.
Us young fans lose our voices for the 49ers, the old ones lose time to play bingo.
Originally posted by modninerfan:
I've been going to a couple games every year since 2005. My experience is that the old fans lack enthusiasm. They have a lot of pride and many still live in the golden years.

The younger fans, although enthusiastic lack a lot of football knowledge. Whether its screaming while we're on offense or chanting for David Carr they dont know the intricacies of the game. One thing I know is that many of them focus only on the ball and who's holding it... they fail to understand that there are 21 other men on the field affecting the play.

My best fan experience was probably Wembley... The fans were fun to be around, they understood basic football and if they had any questions there was somebody (whether it was me, or another football fanatic) to explain it to them. It had the atmosphere of a big game.

Going to Oakland was by far the worst... I'm not gonna explain much because there isnt much to talk about, all I gotta say is that there were times I wanted to kick some punks ass and there were times I feared for my life. And it was a pre-season game

And we were happy to have you there. Good stadium, actually. Way better than the old one.
I'm pretty sure the players love it when the stadium is loud and they have the crowd behind them.
  • cools
  • Veteran
That is one of the reasons the stick isnt that noisy, yes lots of older fans

I spent 20+ years as a season ticket holder in sec 18 upper deck, and it did kinda look like a bingo party

but remember if we didnt have them, games would be blacked out for local TV
[ Edited by cools on Jan 21, 2011 at 9:57 AM ]
Anthony Dixon agrees.
Originally posted by ea_thegreat:
I'm pretty sure the players love it when the stadium is loud and they have the crowd behind them.

Agreed. These players bust their ass for us fans and we never make ANY noise unless we are ahead in the game.

Funny thing is, the time they need crowd noise the most is when they're BEHIND.

This has, and always will be, my biggest gripe with Candlestick.

Love the old sh!thole for it's nostalgia, location and because it means that I'm on vacation in Cali when I'm there, but East Coast stadiums/fans put us 49ers Faithful to shame.
fa real yo lotta old muthaf**kas in the stands tellin a nigga to sit down f**k u old man go to bed.
Nobody complains about the noise or standing as long if it is half-way appropriate.

There is a difference between being a loud and supportive fan and being an obnoxious self-centered drunk standing and yelling obscenities for an entire game.

Some people have to learn how to drink and act like a man and not like a punk who is mentally lost after a couple of drinks
quiet old fans don't help the team win. being loud and excited at games (at the right moments) actually helps the team on the field
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
fa real yo lotta old muthaf**kas in the stands tellin a nigga to sit down f**k u old man go to bed.

hi rev