LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 239 users in the forums

Taylor Mays at OLB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Welcome to an offseason at the zone. Where changes made to your madden roster translate to real life suggestions.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
There are many different alternatives to alcohol and drugs these days. I suggest you look for something so you dont post like this again.
Originally posted by Youngone:
Welcome to an offseason at the zone. Where changes made to your madden roster translate to real life suggestions.

I've never played Madden and I've been following this team for over 40 years now. Also, I am certainly not the first person to suggest a position move for Mays. There was talk of this before he was even drafted. It was part of the reason why he lasted until the second round. Because of his body type, he is a bit of a tweener.

If you had actually read all of the posts I made in this thread, I made it quite clear that the purpose of my suggestion was so that the Niners could take full advantage of Mays' strengths (i.e. straight line speed and athleticism) and try to minimize his weaknesses (i.e. changing directions, play diagnosis, general coverage).

I also suggested the Niners, now that they have a creative, intelligent coaching staff again could create a hybrid position for him that they could use in certain situations...in blitzing situations, for example when Mays would have a clear shot at the QB and not have to deal with an OT. If you followed the team in the Walsh era, you would known that the team did this with Jeff Fuller on occasion, who was a large and athletic safety like Mays.

The issue I see in the Zone is that some guys are too quick to criticize....even before they comprehend the actual post.....so next time....read the damn posts!
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Hmm...worth a look, I guess. It might be better for Mays blitzing and cover TEs than him covering WRs (see loss to Panthers). But not sure how effective he'd be in run support and his comfort level playing in a totally new position...especially since he's already struggling now. So, back to SS he goes where he'll have more time to learn.

this is exactly why he shouldn't be moved. he'd be a friggin' 3 year project if he moved positions.

Can't say it any better than that. Mays was drafted for a certain position. Needs to get better at that position, not try to learn a new one. If he can't improve, after a certain period of time, then a move should be tried out.

[ Edited by RogerCraig on Jan 26, 2011 at 17:20:37 ]
Originally posted by RogerCraig:
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Hmm...worth a look, I guess. It might be better for Mays blitzing and cover TEs than him covering WRs (see loss to Panthers). But not sure how effective he'd be in run support and his comfort level playing in a totally new position...especially since he's already struggling now. So, back to SS he goes where he'll have more time to learn.

this is exactly why he shouldn't be moved. he'd be a friggin' 3 year project if he moved positions.

Can't say it any better than that. Mays was drafted for a certain position. Needs to get better at that position, not try to learn a new one. If he can't improve, after a certain period of time, then a move should be tried out.

If the coaches think he will eventually get it as a safety good, but if they think they can move him around and use him as a situational player to great effect I would be OK with that as well. His rep coming into the draft was that he lacked instincts as a DB, so perhaps the team will need to be creative to put him in situations to be effective.
Stupid idea
Maybe he could play LB in Nolan's famous "big nickel umprella of caution" defense?

Man I hated that guy.
Originally posted by stevenking57:
Go easy kid. A lot of Zoners have real problem thinking out of the box. The idea that a football athlete could play at another position is heresy. Hey, what do these NFL players have in common? Troy Brown, Dion Sanders, Spencer Lawson, and Preston Parker. Answer: They all have played on offense and defense in the same games! I once suggested that Taylor Mays be used in certain passing situations and was blasted for it. Funny, Mays has freakish speed and has great hands. Could you imagine Ginn and Mays spilt out from each other with Crabtree in the slot and Davis at T.E? Anyway, I support your creative thinking, just don't expect any of the Zoners critics to give any concrete reasons why it's wrong because, that might require some Zoners to use some lateral thinking.

He has hands of stone. If im not mistaken he had 1 int his last year at uSC

You know....this board is really starting to make me hate Madden. Even more than I already did. I don't have a crystal ball but here's two things I can tell you for sure:

1) Nate Clements will not be moved to safety.

2) Taylor Mays will not be moved to OLB.

Can we PLEASE stop talking about this now?
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
this thread is still going?!?!?

Share 49ersWebzone