There are 167 users in the forums

Taylor Mays at OLB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Lee woodall

Comes to mind...and he was not the only one to do it.

Saftey to linebacker is not an unheard of switch from college to the NFL.

That is polar opposite from the center fielder he was in college

I don't know if has the skill set.

Really Mays is in the wrong era.

Brian urlacher also comes to mind, you right, this is not as far fetched as some of you think
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Originally posted by qwestlove94:
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
so how many more pages befor this sucker gets locked. i dont even think it will make it to 4

So...if you are Harbaugh, what do you do with Mays? When he was the coach at Stanford and they played USC, they toasted the guy.

Like I said, I'm just trying to suggest a different approach with him. Not saying I'm right but it is becoming obvious is that Mays has some serious issues in coverage. I just don't want the Niners to waste a second round pick on someone that can't help the team. Therefore, I'm just trying to find ways the team can put him in a position to succeed and help.

If you don't agree, that's cool but at least tell us what you would do with him.
Don't just criticize man, give us something reasonable.

couldn't agree with this more, some of the so called veterans on this site can't disagree with words, they'd rather post stupid pictures so someone else can post a smiley face laughing at it, I didn't know this was an sohh.com board. I was wondering how someone could have over 30,000 posts , but I can see how if 29000 of them are dumb a** pictures that supposedly represent how they feel, I've got a pic for you idiots, but I won't post it out respect for the mods, but let's just say it involves an extended middle finger and a gigantic **** you in all caps. 7th graders need cosigners and followers to feel better about themselves, geez, if you can't disagree with civility then do us a favor and STFU, we re having a grown-up discussion over here. As for mays moving to olb, I say if he comes out after a full off-season and is still getting roasted, might not be a bad idea to look into this.

pg 3 bud

wasn't talkin about you, talking about the picture posters who don't know sh**t
Lee woodall

Brian urlacher also comes to mind, you right, this is not as far fetched as some of you think
Originally posted by jonnydellfan:
Are we talking about an OLB in a 4-3 or 3-4 scheme? The move wouldn't make sense for our current defense. An OLB in a 3-4 scheme has to have much more size as they have to be able to stand up to pulling guards and TE's in run blocking to set the edge. 3-4 OLB's need to between 260-280 lbs. If we ran a 4-3 scheme then it could work as an OLB in a 4-3 OLB is ideal between 230-240. I thought Mays played pretty well, while he was out of position a few times he didn't give up any huge plays because of it. With his speed his potential is through the roof. Remember what Rod Woodson said about the kid when he came and saw him. Out of all our players he said Mays is going to be special.

sorry guys...site went down for a bit last night and repeated this message...
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Jan 21, 2011 at 9:03 AM ]
Are we talking about an OLB in a 4-3 or 3-4 scheme? The move wouldn't make sense for our current defense. An OLB in a 3-4 scheme has to have much more size as they have to be able to stand up to pulling guards and TE's in run blocking to set the edge. 3-4 OLB's need to between 260-280 lbs. If we ran a 4-3 scheme then it could work as an OLB in a 4-3 OLB is ideal between 230-240. I thought Mays played pretty well, while he was out of position a few times he didn't give up any huge plays because of it. With his speed his potential is through the roof. Remember what Rod Woodson said about the kid when he came and saw him. Out of all our players he said Mays is going to be special.

I don't think anyone is questioning Mays' physical abilities. They are off the charts. The question seems to be....does he have the instincts to play SS?...where even if he is mainly a run stopper, he still has to diagnose the play and go get the ball carrier or receiver.
Now....there are plenty of 3-4 linebackers in the NFL that are under 250 lbs., some of them very good. If Mays doesn't have to take on OTs very often, then weight isn't as much of an issue. Besides with his speed, he could probably run past most RTs in the league without them laying a hand on him, especially if he is rushing from the edge and has the element of surprise.
The other point here is that the Niners' new DC has run a 4-3 before and thus, it wouldn't be a surprise to see the team use 4 linemen on occasion, even if their base is a 3-4. Therefore, there might be situations when Mays might be used as a blitzer or LB that would better utilize his speed than playing a traditional starting SS position....and that is what I am suggesting....that Mays be a situational blitzer and a hybrid type of LB. This will, of course, take some creativity on the part of the new DC but Stanford's D was extremely creative this past year and I feel the new coaches will find a way to put Mays in a better position to be effective.

oops....repeated....excuse please
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Jan 21, 2011 at 2:28 PM ]

sorry guys...
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Jan 21, 2011 at 9:02 AM ]

again.....repeat
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Jan 21, 2011 at 9:02 AM ]
One year in the NFL under retard coaching. Give the man a chance before talking about moving him.
Harbaugh just hired one of the top DB coaches in the NFL in Ed Donatell...let's see what a top flight coach can do w/Mays and his teammates.

I laugh so hard at some people on this forum. For the love of god, nobody and I mean NOBODY is a bust at their position in their rookie year. Some players have to be developed to play at the NFL level. That is just the way it is. Dont change his postion, dont push him to special teams...teach him and see if he can learn.

The same goes for Davis by the way...b***hing about rookies making mistakes is just sensless...they are rookies THATS WHAT THEY DO!
There was a thread some time ago about Mays and I liked the idea of playing him at SS, close to Willis, where they could take turns covering, blitzing and where their speed and hitting ability would close down the center of the field. But, that would take instincts and that has been the knock on Mays.

When a DB consistently takes bad angles and overplays in college, can a coach help him? I assume SC had pretty decent coaches. I really hope he develops into a good Safety because his speed will really help and, as Al Davis has said, you can't teach speed!
Originally posted by qwestlove94:
Lee woodall

Agree. However, I still think they should give him another year at SS and see how he does.
I'm not ready to give up on him as a starting safety yet. He was only a rookie this year and we knew that he had flaws in his game when we drafted him. We got good value for him in the 2nd round so lets just give him a shot to continue to get better before we cast him as a bust at safety. He didn't play well at times but he wasn't alone because everybody in our secondary looked bad at times. Let him continue to grow
does this look like the torso of a Linebacker? he would get shoved aside every time. plus he sucks at tackling, so maybe LB isnt his calling...

Share 49ersWebzone