LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 122 users in the forums

Lack of diversity on new coaching staff - a concern?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Lack of diversity on new coaching staff - a concern?

• BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
I noticed it to but I doubt it will be a factor. Harbaugh had a black OC and 3 black position coaches at Stanford. He had a black QB at San Diego. He is going to hire the best coaches.

Mike Singletary has token black guys Vantz Singletary and Al Harris and really all-around, not very good coaches. I am sure the players noticed and want good coaches to coach them.

Wait... we're talking about ethnicity?

s**t... I thought we were looking for diversity...

Why limit yourself?

Here is our new special teams coach:

Well there are not very many Mexican, Asian, Filipino, etc, etc, coaches out there.

Most people in those cultures play baseball and soccer in their home countries. When they come here most parents will push their kids toward those sports. The large immigration of those races to this country started 35 years ago, I would think it will take a few more generations to get more diversity among kids interested in football.
Originally posted by BobS:
I noticed it to but I doubt it will be a factor. Harbaugh had a black OC and 3 black position coaches at Stanford. He had a black QB at San Diego. He is going to hire the best coaches.

Mike Singletary has token black guys Vantz Singletary and Al Harris and really all-around, not very good coaches. I am sure the players noticed and want good coaches to coach them.

Why limit yourself?

Well there are not very many Mexican, Asian, Filipino, etc, etc, coaches out there.

Most people in those cultures play baseball and soccer in their home countries. When they come here most parents will push their kids toward those sports. The large immigration of those races to this country started 35 years ago, I would think it will take a few more generations to get more diversity among kids interested in football.

You also have to take in account natural genetic dispositions. Many races naturally tend to be on the smaller size, which limits one potential in certain size dependent sports.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Seriously, who cares? Should Harbaugh add Jimmy Raye to the team just because he is black?

Harbaugh has just set out to hire coaches who he knows well and fit his system, have been on his past staffs, or have left an indelible impression on him in the past. What does color have to do with it? It's not like he purposely set out to hire only white coaches, even though there are better qualified coaches of other races out there.

It almost seems racist to hire someone just because they are a certain color.

No, it's not "almost" racist to do that - it IS period.

Why limit yourself?

You also have to take in account natural genetic dispositions. Many races naturally tend to be on the smaller size, which limits one potential in certain size dependent sports.

[ Edited by Norcal9erfan on Jan 20, 2011 at 10:59 AM ]
Yes. We need some Indians.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

we got praage?
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

we got praage?

Oooh...mmm I take that back then...we need LESS Indians.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Seriously, who cares? Should Harbaugh add Jimmy Raye to the team just because he is black?

Harbaugh has just set out to hire coaches who he knows well and fit his system, have been on his past staffs, or have left an indelible impression on him in the past. What does color have to do with it? It's not like he purposely set out to hire only white coaches, even though there are better qualified coaches of other races out there.

Yes if we all started from the same point and there was no previous bias... of course.

How does previous bias affect that? Bias is bias and racism is racism. What you are implying is that two wrongs DO make a right, and that simply is not the case.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:

Yes if we all started from the same point and there was no previous bias... of course.

How does previous bias affect that? Bias is bias and racism is racism. What you are implying is that two wrongs DO make a right, and that simply is not the case.

Win = Failing at failure = Fail

Logic is hard.
We need some aliens on staff. You must represent the green men!

Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by Need4Speed:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by valrod33:
isnt the new strength coach asian?

no, he's just fat. so his cheeks push up against his eyes.

Way to go there syber I knew you were good for something.

The point of diversity is being able to connect to different cultures. On that note I actually believe it would be nice to have some black personnel department people. Someone who relates to the players. I just saw a special on Tamba Bay Coach Raheem Morris and they identified him as someone who got his players because he had some street cred. Point is there are alot of urban Black kids who grow up and play football, to bad we couldn't have kept Sing as a spiritual mentor....

Explain, from my lily white lack of knowledge, "Street cred" is acquired from criminal behavior. Michael Vick has street cred, so if you need ex criminals on the staff to relate to players, that is pretty pathetic.

It makes no sense b/c there is no such thing as street cred. Just some negative term made up to describe some black people that folks understand. That's why you associate street cred with black athletes. Have you ever heard a white guy who has criminal behavior having street cred? Nope he's just a criminal. Hip hop culture is mostly to blame b/c they promote criminal activity. Like it's cool, thus the term street cred arises from the folks who don't truly understand the ignorance behind it. I have no idea what that would have to do with being an NFL coach. He's not coaching folks in the streets he's coaching millionaires. Thus why the term and whoever said that on whatever special was just lost. How bout him being young, enthusiastic, and just being a good coach is the reason he's having success. Or about him being from the same background and economics standards which allows him to relate. Instead they call it street cred b/c he's black. Gotta stop using terms to divide people when it's all the same thing. White NFL coaches have been successful and relating to black athlete's for a very long time now so i just don't understand how Raheem having street cred is the reason for his success. Maybe that helps their off the field relationship but practice is practice and football is football when it's game time.

and I don't give a s**t abut diversity on the coaching staff.

Haha well you all took a term "street cred" and ran with it. I just meant he was from a tough place and understood the plights of a urban black athlete.

Street Cred

Urban Dictionary Street Cred
OTL Raheem Morris

I never heard Street Cred to mean your a criminal. Ive always heard it as you know what it means to be around the hood. Ive known lots of people from lots of races that had plenty of street cred in their neighborhood. It had nothing to do with their criminal activity it had to do with their street smarts.

Anyway take it for what it is... People feel more comfortable with someone who has seen what they have seen and understand their plights rich or not.
Originally posted by albniner:
does it really matter? I am tired of people always looking at race. so what if our coaching staff so far is not diverse. maybe people should start paying attention to their coaching ability rather than trying to start controversy over such pointless things as race. Everyone is diverse they all have different backgrounds and coaching experience isn't that enough. spend ur time thinking about something bigger than youre inability to look past race in life. seriously

well said!

Why limit yourself?

this new coach has the flexibility none of our players can match---can a superstar coach other athletes?
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:

Why limit yourself?

Explain the nono please. Are you denying genetic inheritance?
  • boast
  • Hella Fame

you Sal!!! how come they ain't no brothas on the wall?
Share 49ersWebzone