There are 295 users in the forums

New Stadium - Where do you prefer?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

New Stadium - Where do you prefer?

Originally posted by 49ersGiantspride:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Los Angeles.

uh no. They won't move to LA besides they hate the 49ers over there anyway, the Rams fans are still there.It's like the Giants moving to LA pretty much.

Ur dead wrong L.A has a strong 49er base. I baerly see Lamb fans over here now raider fans is a different story.
LOOK, building in SF is ideal but it will never happen. Traffic? ok well then they can build more ramps leading to 101. For example, a "bridge" from the RV lot to 101 south, say 6 lanes. BUT that would cut across the water and too much politics would stop it. Seriously. Why do you think the stadium that Eddie D proposed never got off the ground? Was the mall stupid? Maybe. The real reason it never happened was again politics. As I've said before, as soon as some dork finds out that the Northern California water cricket's habitat is threatened, then they have to have a study that lasts 30 years to find out that they cant produce the usual 50 billion crickets and the project is stalled.

I'll take SC if thats what it takes to keep my team in the bay.

Since I've lived in Excelsior my whole life, just 4 miles from the 'Stick, I've always said to build it in McLaren Park. Its basically an abandoned park thats pretty dam creepy at night and no one ever visits (unless you have vicious pitbulls you like to take there cuz you can take their leash off and not worry). But again, tree huggers have issues and god forbid we cut down trees in the great wilderness that is SF.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crazyNiner:
Originally posted by 49ersGiantspride:
Los Angeles.

uh no. They won't move to LA besides they hate the 49ers over there anyway, the Rams fans are still there.It's like the Giants moving to LA pretty much.

Ur dead wrong L.A has a strong 49er base. I baerly see Lamb fans over here now raider fans is a different story.

doesnt matter, SoCal has proven its 20 million residents cant support an NFL team.
Originally posted by kidash:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
I think its much more viable in Santa Clara, but I'd prefer they stayed in SF.

This.

that

Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Originally posted by Niners99:
the Hunters Point site is a dead dream. its in a bad part of town, and is a toxic waste dump.

Santa Clara makes way more sense, and already is in the works. they would still be in the bay area. i dont know why people get so upset about the Niners leaving the city. the Giants and Jets dont even play in the same state. the Cowboys dont play in Dallas. it doesnt matter. theyd be right near their actual team HQ where they spend all their time, and right in the heart of the fanbase.

Cleaned up, with more funds already allocated, get over that. You probably live in a toxic dump already, since there is so much pollution everywhere.

There is NO comparison to HP and SC. One is in the flatland between freeway interchanges, the other sits on the bay with views nearly 360.

One is IN SF, the other in, well you know.. so picturesque!

Ingress and egress will be fixed more, though anyone who goes to a major event has to know it's not like going to their favorite Safeway; it takes time to get out. If you don't like traffic, THEN DON"T GO, stay home and watch on TV so the sound of whining doesn't fill the air.

Ahhh, I feel much better now..

Hunters Point is an old naval shipyard that is "San Francisco's worst toxic waste dump and a legacy of nuclear and chemical pollution that residents fear may have a long-term effect on health in their low-income neighborhoods."

im not exactly sure WTF you mean by "you probably already live in toxic dump". i wasnt knocking the site, it literally IS a toxic dump.

and views of the bay are for baseball stadiums. nobody goes to a football game to enjoy the view. almost every football stadium is a bowl in which everyone is focusing on the game the entire time. nobody is looking around at the views outside the stadium, which would hardly be visible.

the 49ers HQ is in Santa Clara, they have summer camp there, the 5 Super Bowl trophies are even there. they literally do EVERYTHING in Santa Clara but play their games. the players and coaches live in the south bay, the majority of the fanbase lives in the south bay, and its still considered the San Francisco Bay Area. they arent moving to another city. they will still have the SF logo. i dont see what difference it makes unless you live IN the city of SF.

it makes too much sense to build it there. i know it seems best to have the team play in the city itself, but thats not a viable option anymore.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Jan 19, 2011 at 2:03 AM ]
Originally posted by area49:
Los Angeles.

Unfortunately, it seems inevitable. I hope I'm wrong.

No you don't.

As I've stated in an earlier thread, I would prefer the HP site. I believe HP is a superior site because of the potential to build a stadium in a world renowned city with a superior view. The current stadium's design also looks better to me in HP. I also feel that typical stadium problems (like traffic) are the same everywhere.

That said, SC is way ahead in the game.
the Hunters Point site is a dead dream. its in a bad part of town, and is a toxic waste dump.

Santa Clara makes way more sense, and already is in the works. they would still be in the bay area. i dont know why people get so upset about the Niners leaving the city. the Giants and Jets dont even play in the same state. the Cowboys dont play in Dallas. it doesnt matter. theyd be right near their actual team HQ where they spend all their time, and right in the heart of the fanbase.

Cleaned up, with more funds already allocated, get over that. You probably live in a toxic dump already, since there is so much pollution everywhere.

There is NO comparison to HP and SC. One is in the flatland between freeway interchanges, the other sits on the bay with views nearly 360.

Ingress and egress will be fixed more, though anyone who goes to a major event has to know it's not like going to their favorite Safeway; it takes time to get out. If you don't like traffic, THEN DON"T GO, stay home and watch on TV so the sound of whining doesn't fill the air.

Hunters Point is an old naval shipyard that is "San Francisco's worst toxic waste dump and a legacy of nuclear and chemical pollution that residents fear may have a long-term effect on health in their low-income neighborhoods."

im not exactly sure WTF you mean by "you probably already live in toxic dump". i wasnt knocking the site, it literally IS a toxic dump.

and views of the bay are for baseball stadiums. nobody goes to a football game to enjoy the view. almost every football stadium is a bowl in which everyone is focusing on the game the entire time. nobody is looking around at the views outside the stadium, which would hardly be visible.

the 49ers HQ is in Santa Clara, they have summer camp there, the 5 Super Bowl trophies are even there. they literally do EVERYTHING in Santa Clara but play their games. the players and coaches live in the south bay, the majority of the fanbase lives in the south bay, and its still considered the San Francisco Bay Area. they arent moving to another city. they will still have the SF logo. i dont see what difference it makes unless you live IN the city of SF.

it makes too much sense to build it there. i know it seems best to have the team play in the city itself, but thats not a viable option anymore.

This is such a crock of s**t and I wish people would stop repeating it.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Oakland would be much better than Santa Clara.

Originally posted by Gavintech:

This is such a crock of s**t and I wish people would stop repeating it.

Well...it is and it isn't.

The largest portion of season ticket holders at the Stick ARE from the South Bay. Thats a fact.

The word MAJORITY tho isn't entirely correct. The largest block could be only 35% or so, but that would still make it the largest block of season ticket holders. It just wouldn't be a "majority".

The point he's making tho is valid. Its not like the fan base is in one place and the team is moving away from them. The team would be moving closer to the largest single block of season ticket holders they have and would also probably be more accessable to the East Bay. North Bay and SF residents would have a longer drive tho, no question.

All that said, I do prefer an SF stadium. Its just that this isn't my first time to the rodeo and I've seen these things go up in smoke in a hurry in SF. I don't trust ANYTHING they do or say. The site would be beautiful, but I just don't see it happening.

SC can happen. I think it WILL happen.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Oakland would be much better than Santa Clara.

No. It. Would. Not.

F that.
Regardless of what we all want, the Yorks have sunk too much money into Santa Clara to consider other options at this point. I see three things that could stop the Santa Clara stadium project:

1. Litigation. I don't think Cedar Fair (the owners of Great America) is a real threat. They're simply doing their due diligence and applying pressure to get a better deal for being inconvenienced. I think a greater concern would be a local community group who might sue to block the project due to environmental or traffic concerns. All they would need is one sympathetic judge to gum up the works.

2. Lack of NFL financing assistance. This project will not work without a new stadium funding pool similar to the one that helped fund the New Meadowlands, Lucas Oil Stadium and Cowboys Stadium. Any new NFL stadium financing will not available until a new CBA is agreed upon. If for whatever reason a stadium financing system isn't part of the new CBA (Goodell says it will be) then that will be a huge problem.

3. The Raiders. This is actually related to #2, but it's been widely reported that Goodell is pushing to put the 49ers and Raiders in same facility like the Giants and Jets. From a common sense perspective constructing two new billion dollar stadiums within a 30 mile radius would be a monumental waste of real estate and/or resources. Emotions aside, this makes sense if the Bay Area wants to keep both teams. I believe NFL funding assistance will eventually become available but it will be conditional upon a shared facility. This could impact the Santa Clara site if the Raiders balk at the site, which could lead to a new stadium being built in Oakland.

The bottom line IMO is that the clock on the Raiders and 49ers playing their games within the city limits of their namesake is winding down regardless of our preferences. Both the Niners and Raiders are regional assets with fans all over the Bay Area and Northern California. I believe in the end both teams will be playing their games in Santa Clara about 35 miles from their namesake cities.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Regardless of what we all want, the Yorks have sunk too much money into Santa Clara to consider other options at this point. I see three things that could stop the Santa Clara stadium project:

1. Litigation. I don't think Cedar Fair (the owners of Great America) is a real threat. They're simply doing their due diligence and applying pressure to get a better deal for being inconvenienced. I think a greater concern would be a local community group who might sue to block the project due to environmental or traffic concerns. All they would need is one sympathetic judge to gum up the works.

2. Lack of NFL financing assistance. This project will not work without a new stadium funding pool similar to the one that helped fund the New Meadowlands, Lucas Oil Stadium and Cowboys Stadium. Any new NFL stadium financing will not available until a new CBA is agreed upon. If for whatever reason a stadium financing system isn't part of the new CBA (Goodell says it will be) then that will be a huge problem.

3. The Raiders. This is actually related to #2, but it's been widely reported that Goodell is pushing to put the 49ers and Raiders in same facility like the Giants and Jets. From a common sense perspective constructing two new billion dollar stadiums within a 30 mile radius would be a monumental waste of real estate and/or resources. Emotions aside, this makes sense if the Bay Area wants to keep both teams. I believe NFL funding assistance will eventually become available but it will be conditional upon a shared facility. This could impact the Santa Clara site if the Raiders balk at the site, which could lead to a new stadium being built in Oakland.

The bottom line IMO is that the clock on the Raiders and 49ers playing their games within the city limits of their namesake is winding down regardless of our preferences. Both the Niners and Raiders are regional assets with fans all over the Bay Area and Northern California. I believe in the end both teams will be playing their games in Santa Clara about 35 miles from their namesake cities.

Have you ever driven in the bay area? From San Fran to San Jose or from Oakland to San Jose is not a simple 30 minute joy drive. If we ever host a Monday Night game in San Jose, it's gonna kill the commute. Hell, I use to live 6 miles away from work when I lived in San Jose and it took me 30 plus minutes to get home.
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

Have you ever driven in the bay area? From San Fran to San Jose or from Oakland to San Jose is not a simple 30 minute joy drive. If we ever host a Monday Night game in San Jose, it's gonna kill the commute. Hell, I use to live 6 miles away from work when I lived in San Jose and it took me 30 plus minutes to get home.

Yeah, my job takes me all over the area all of the time. Monday Night games have been and will always be a traffic problem . . . it has to be when you combine rush hour with 65,000 people trying to get to one place.
Share 49ersWebzone