LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

John Morton Hired as Wide Recievers Coach

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Anyone wanting Jerry Rice should realized Jerry has no coaching experience what so ever. Sure he might have mentored or gave advice to young WRs during his playing days but that's different then being in charge of an entire team's group of WR's. He would probably have to start off as an assistant to the WR coach. Maybe sit in on some practices before that even. Just because your a great player doesn't mean you will be a great coach. We learned that...

I am not saying Rice won't be a coach some day but can someone tell me where he has openly said I want to coach WRs in the NFL? Same thing that goes for those of you that want Steve Young as OC. Steve Young is my favorite player of all time along with Rice but I think that's jumping the gun a bit. Normally you work your way up... get use to coaching practice and then games as well.

He has no coaching experience but what he has is being the GOAT! Jerry Rice's passion for the game, drive and determination would not allow him to fail being a coach. Not to mention he is already mentoring college players just about every year. I have no doubt in my mind that Jerry Rice would be a great WR's coach. Jerry Rice is in a league of his own so to compare him to Singletary or Steve Young is irrelevant, just my opinion though. There will never be another Jerry Rice but Steve Youngs and Dingleberry's pop up all of the time.

If it makes any of the people hoping for Jerry Rice to coach our wide receivers feel better, John Morton coached Jerry Rice in Oakland for a few years.

Now... Jerry Rice is seven years older than Morton... he'd played 15 years in the league before they even met... he'd been to 12 Pro Bowls, won 3 Super Bowls, and 2 MVP awards before they met... John Morton had never been a coach before they met... so who do you think learned more from who?

Not to mention Tim Brown... who didn't exactly suck.

John Morton coached both of these guys in John Gruden's WCO.

So, you guys didn't get Jerry Rice, but you got a guy who coached him and probably learned a thing or two from the GOAT.

Anybody feel a little better now?

I hope he can get some thing out of Josh Morgan. I keep waiting for him to break out,but get nothing. lol
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fakers23:
I hope he can get some thing out of Josh Morgan. I keep waiting for him to break out,but get nothing. lol

What is a breakout season for a #3 receiver?

Check out the stats around the league. Josh Morgan did just fine when compared to other receivers who were the third option in their offense.

Targets

Crabtree: 101

Davis: 93

Morgan: 80

stats
Originally posted by Wodwo:

Check out the stats around the league. Josh Morgan did just fine when compared to other receivers who were the third option in their offense.

Targets

stats

I'm talking 1,000 yards and like 70 to 80 catches. We haven't had that since the days of TO.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

I'm talking 1,000 yards and like 70 to 80 catches. We haven't had that since the days of TO.

Morgan is the #3 option.

Lower your expectations.

Targets

stats

for Morgan? wtf?

Morgan is the #3 option.

Lower your expectations.

But that's thing . The Wideouts shouldn't be the 3nd or 4th option. They should be 1 or 2. I love VD,but without a excellent Wideout. He just going get double teamed like in the Charger game..
My only issue is the weird names he gave to his daughters - Tierney and Sage
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

But that's thing . The Wideouts shouldn't be the 3nd or 4th option. They should be 1 or 2. I love VD,but without a excellent Wideout. He just going get double teamed like in the Charger game..

You did look at the statistics, didn't you?

Crabtree was the #1 target, not Vernon Davis.

Quote:
Down the field, receivers coach John Morton showed himself as one of the more vocal staffers, criticizing and encouraging players' techniques at a decibel level high enough to carry clearly for 30 yards on a blustery day.

"I want to see you come off the ball!" Morton shouted.

Finally, a chance to size up 49ers coaches - ESPN

Morgan is the #3 option.

Lower your expectations.

every team wishes they had VD. hes actually more important to us as a TE because there is always a concern about who can cover him. LBs are too slow and CBs are too small, in harbaughs offense hes gonna be putting up ridiculous numbers. where with a WR even if hes great he can still be covered by a great CB like nnamdi or revis but VD is a miss match for everyone. im excited to see VD in harbaughs offense. with those dimensions, speed and strength harbaugh is probably drooling over the possibilities.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

Morgan is the #3 option.

Lower your expectations.

every team wishes they had VD. hes actually more important to us as a TE because there is always a concern about who can cover him. LBs are too slow and CBs are too small, in harbaughs offense hes gonna be putting up ridiculous numbers. where with a WR even if hes great he can still be covered by a great CB like nnamdi or revis but VD is a miss match for everyone. im excited to see VD in harbaughs offense. with those dimensions, speed and strength harbaugh is probably drooling over the possibilities.

harbaugh has a history of working well with TEs his WR wont produce as much

and alex already owns with VD its quite possible we can see the td record for TEs broken this year
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

Morgan is the #3 option.

Lower your expectations.

harbaugh has a history of working well with TEs his WR wont produce as much

and alex already owns with VD its quite possible we can see the td record for TEs broken this year

That's because Harbaugh won't be a b***h and will actually let VD go after the record unlike Singletary's ass
the guy that got beat up?
Share 49ersWebzone