LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 229 users in the forums

Importance of Coach - Quarterback combo.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Just read the article from the pressdemocrat on tom mortensen, an ex harbaugh QB. I thought it was a great article, and it confirmed the idea that for me the most important position on the field is the coach. The greatest Qb's have always had the greatest coaches. Football is such a strategic game, that it seems impossible for a team to ride just on the talent of their players, let alone the QB.

I don't understand why teams don't go all out and spend money on good coaches, like they do for players. Miami made an unclassy move by waving money in harbaugh's face, but it makes sense. If you have the chance to get a coach that will put together a team that can make a run for a decade or more, it's worth spending the money.

Mortensen said the most reassuring comments i've heard so far on harbuagh. He can coach players up, he has modern, innovative strategy and he's competitive.

i don't think Brady, Rodgers, Favre or even Manning or Montana would've had their success with different coaches.

what is your perception on the importance of the Qb vs the coach?
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=151683
We haven't had a coach that can get the best out of a qb for years, and now I think we finally do.if nothing else our offence will b great
i think its a proven fact, look at brady and belichick, those guys are epic.... they have a bunch of nobodys for recievers and they are one of the best teams in the league every year, because of playcalling and bradys talent of course.... if you dont have a coach that will turn you loose and let you play the game, like singletary did to alex, i dont think you could ever succeed... does everyone remember when singletary was mic'd up and alex was on a role, and he said to the OC "you guys are doing great, but lets concentrate on the run"? quarterbacks, do look at their coaches for answers, if you have a clueless coach, your team will always suck
Originally posted by forty9ers:
i think its a proven fact, look at brady and belichick, those guys are epic.... they have a bunch of nobodys for recievers and they are one of the best teams in the league every year, because of playcalling and bradys talent of course.... if you dont have a coach that will turn you loose and let you play the game, like singletary did to alex, i dont think you could ever succeed... does everyone remember when singletary was mic'd up and alex was on a role, and he said to the OC "you guys are doing great, but lets concentrate on the run"? quarterbacks, do look at their coaches for answers, if you have a clueless coach, your team will always suck

Agree
Originally posted by forty9ers:

Brady's a wuss.
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Montana did go to the AFC championship with Marty in KC Right? lol. But thats Montana league of his own.
Many of us have lamented that the 9ers hired defensive coaches as head coaches. It was not because I lack respect for that side of the ball, but rather that the relationship between the QB and a decision maker is vital. That decision maker can be a strong offensive coordinator but then they usually get hired to be a head coach for another team (Turner). It is easier to retain good DCs than OCs for some reason. Perhaps I am prejudiced by Walsh's success?!

When the QB has the HCs ear and support the whole team sees that and a guy like Crabtree would not be as cavalier about short arming passes or stopping his route because he didn't think the ball was coming his way. An OC/HC would be all over him telling him to run the bleeping route or sit on the bench. I doubt Singletary or Nolan noticed whether a WR finished a route or not.
I hope this isn't too far off-topic. But I am beggining to wonder what happened to all the great RBs. Which teams have success primarily due to a dominant RB?

As I watched the playoffs, these teams have good but not big-name, dominant RBs. I was especially astonished at NE. where they have two WRs (Welker and Edelman) and one RB (Woodhead) who are about 5-9 or 5-10 and 185 to 195 pounds. Two were undrafted free agents and one was a 7th pick.

Does this mean that a winning team can succeed with small offensive players who are quick and dependable? If that is a winning formula, then we should pursue it. Devote our valuable draft picks to other positions, while signing a few free agents like Amendola, Stokley, Welker, and Jurovich.

Originally posted by excelsior:
I hope this isn't too far off-topic. But I am beggining to wonder what happened to all the great RBs. Which teams have success primarily due to a dominant RB?

As I watched the playoffs, these teams have good but not big-name, dominant RBs. I was especially astonished at NE. where they have two WRs (Welker and Edelman) and one RB (Woodhead) who are about 5-9 or 5-10 and 185 to 195 pounds. Two were undrafted free agents and one was a 7th pick.

Does this mean that a winning team can succeed with small offensive players who are quick and dependable? If that is a winning formula, then we should pursue it. Devote our valuable draft picks to other positions, while signing a few free agents like Amendola, Stokley, Welker, and Jurovich.

Just curious about Jurovich...Did he play for us in PS? I'm wondering why you put him in that category..

Is he similar to those other three you mentioned?
They are both important. You can't build something truly great without either. You can never develop a QB with a NoWin or Dingleberry type coach.
Yes, Jurovich (out of San Jose State) is on our practice squad. I saw him return a few punts during our preseason. He seemed of slight build, which can be improved with a weight program, but he seemed quick. I seem to recall that he ran around a 4.45 40. Help me out fellas.
Originally posted by excelsior:
Yes, Jurovich (out of San Jose State) is on our practice squad. I saw him return a few punts during our preseason. He seemed of slight build, which can be improved with a weight program, but he seemed quick. I seem to recall that he ran around a 4.45 40. Help me out fellas.

yeah, I looked him up and he runs a 40 time between 4.42 and 4.5, or something like that. I also saw a couple of his highlights on YouTube, and I noticed he's quick and shifty like a Welker but not really that fast (also like Welker)
It usually takes two. Both good coaches and qb. Just off the top, Shanahan whom I think is a very good coach, had Elway. And even though inconsistent both Jake Plummer and Cutler had good stints with Shanahan.

The guy that is most underrated with different qb is Joe Gibbs. Theismann, D. Williams, Rypien. All good qb but made them into SB quarterbacks. The makeup of Gibbs' football team help his qb too. To go to the SB with 3 different qb, even Walsh with his love for qb didn't do that. But not saying that he couldn't.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jan 18, 2011 at 9:15 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone