There are 66 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How many years before Harbaugh turns us around?

Each year should show some improvement. 1st will be a year of transition with players coming and going. 2nd should show stabilizing with increased consistency and then the 3rd should deliver a strong team that will contend for years as a playoff team. SuperBowl? We can only hope!
Depends on what you considered turn around.

This year barring major CBA problems I don't see us not being in the hunt for the playoffs this year.

But I think it'll take 3 years of coaching and good drafting before I would say we'll be a legitimate powerhouse in the league.
  • ZRF80
We should be in the playoffs next year.

One of the reasons why everyone thought that San Fran would be a good fit for Harbaugh is because the job gave him the opportunity to win NOW. Unlike the beginning of the Nolan era, where Mike Nolan was given a mess to work with......Jim will inherit a team that is only missing a few pieces to become a contender in the NFC.

We can attack Nolan and McCloughlan all we want, but they did an "ok" (not great) job putting some pieces in place for this team to succeed. We have a great RB, decent receivers (VD, Walker, Crabtree), an oline which should have improved in year 2. All we're really missing on the offense is a QB and a FB (maybe a complementary receiver for Crabtree).

The defense is one of the better units in the league. A lot of our problems on defense were due to our problems on offense. An inability to put points on the board combined with a piss poor TOP (one of the worst in the leagues) meant that our tired defense spent long spurts of time defending.

I think we can win NOW. Im hoping that Baalke/Harbaugh are aware of this, and wont just go into "rebuild" mode where we depend totally on the draft to fill all our needs. Yes, a new QB should be drafted. However, Id like to see a vet start next season and give the team a chance to win the West. The rookie can sit on the sidelines and watch.

Niners will need to make playoffs in 2011, IMO.
  • titan
  • Veteran
There shouldn't be any reason why we can't make it to the playoffs next year! We have the high profile coach everyone wanted. We have a solid group of veterans and some rookies with game time experience.
i think were going to know exactly where we stand in this new era after next season is over. everyone will know if Harbaugh is going to work or not after the 2011 season (if they play.)

we will either be well on our way to being a winning team again, or were going to be like "WTF another mediocre season and we didnt really improve".

its usually around week 7 or 8 of season number 2 that you already know the fate of the rebuild effort.
It will take at least two years, and that is if we get lucky on a QB. The only way we make the playoffs next year is like the shehawks did this year, and we see how that is working out against the bears today...
Originally posted by ZRF80:

One of the reasons why everyone thought that San Fran would be a good fit for Harbaugh is because the job gave him the opportunity to win NOW. Unlike the beginning of the Nolan era, where Mike Nolan was given a mess to work with......Jim will inherit a team that is only missing a few pieces to become a contender in the NFC.

We can attack Nolan and McCloughlan all we want, but they did an "ok" (not great) job putting some pieces in place for this team to succeed. We have a great RB, decent receivers (VD, Walker, Crabtree), an oline which should have improved in year 2. All we're really missing on the offense is a QB and a FB (maybe a complementary receiver for Crabtree).

The defense is one of the better units in the league. A lot of our problems on defense were due to our problems on offense. An inability to put points on the board combined with a piss poor TOP (one of the worst in the leagues) meant that our tired defense spent long spurts of time defending.

I think we can win NOW. Im hoping that Baalke/Harbaugh are aware of this, and wont just go into "rebuild" mode where we depend totally on the draft to fill all our needs. Yes, a new QB should be drafted. However, Id like to see a vet start next season and give the team a chance to win the West. The rookie can sit on the sidelines and watch.

Disagree! The OLine is a huge question mark and that is the heart of the O. Do you replace Rachal? Are the rookies going to mature and develop, or do what Rachal did...regress. Does Heitmann make it back or retire?

Questions about the secondary also exist, perhaps to a greater degree than the OLine. Is there one real DB on our team? Clements contract is too big, Spencer played well--will he play as well next year? Is there an impact Safety on the team?

So, we may answer those questions next year but anyone thinking we are just a QB away is delusional. Oh...another big if...can Harbaugh find a QB? Of course, if I am wrong and the team is in the playoffs next year there will be no one happier!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 16, 2011 at 11:29 AM ]
3 years at least before we are contending but at least it will be fun to watch and competitive.

Holmgren says that it takes 6 years to develop a WCO QB.
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Disagree! The OLine is a huge question mark and that is the heart of the O. Do you replace Rachal? Are the rookies going to mature and develop, or do what Rachal did...regress. Does Heitmann make it back or retire?

Questions about the secondary also exist, perhaps to a greater degree than the OLine. Is there one real DB on our team? Clements contract is too big, Spencer played well--will he play as well next year? Is there an impact Safety on the team?

So, we may answer those questions next year but anyone thinking we are just a QB away is delusional. Oh...another big if...can Harbaugh find a QB? Of course, if I am wrong and the team is in the playoffs next year there will be no one happier!

Like I said, we're missing a FEW KEY PIECES. One of the benefits of the WCO is the requirement that the QB get rid of the ball quickly. It wont solve our oline problems, but it can mask them quite a bit if you have the right QB. The oline is a question mark, but it's not going to be an area that will be addressed this offseason, hence we can assume that front management thinks they will improve in year 2.

CB can be addressed through FA. There are names like Bailey and Nnamdi out there; just depends on how aggressive Harbaugh is, and yes QB is the big question.....I think if Harbaugh goes out and gets a vet, we become contenders. If we go with a rookie, then chances are much lower.
if by turning us around you mean a winning season - then next year and into the playoffs. 2-3 years to the SBowl.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
I was reading the 2011 expectations thread and it got me wondering. If things don't turn around as quickly as you would like how long will you give Jim to turn it around? Personally I will give him at least 4 years to turn it around. Nolan was givien 3.5 and Sing was given 2.5, so I think Jim at least get that amount of time if not more. Luckily I would be supprised it took that long. I don't know if we will get instant results, but I think we will see a big jump between year 1 and 2. Year 1 might be a little to soon though with a new system, no QB, and the CBA lockout looming. Despite these factors the optimist in me is hoping for at least an 8-8 record but we'll see. I just wanted to see how long of a leash the rest of you will allow before you turn negative and nasty.

MODS: I know this post is kind of related to the 2011 expectations post, but thought it was different enough since it delt with Harbaugh and looked beyoned 2011, but if you need to merge the threads please do so. Thank you.

I agree with an 8-8 season. I feel like JH will use this season to get a feel for the NFL and what it takes to prepare and win in this league. I don't think it will take more than 2 seasons to completly turn around this team.
I have little doubt that Harbaugh and his staff will be a refreshing improvment in coaching and play-calling. And he may get us into the playoffs next year. But I know how that goes. Many playoff teams are knocked out early. After the initial thrill , just making the playoffs will not be enough for our fans. They will demand more success in the playoffs.

Looking at teams like PITT, BALT NE, NYJ, and GB, I was struck by depth of awesome players on their roster. Our roster is not deep with exceptional talent. Frankly, McLoughan was below average in his drafting, especially in light of our many high picks. We have too many underperformers considering how high they were picked. Harbaugh will have to deal with that reality, and one wonders if Baalke can outdraft the personnel men on those and other teams. We will see.
I predict in year 3 we get to the playoffs but lose in the 1st round.

In year 4, we can make a run.

But that all depends on Jim getting us a qb and that will not be easy.

None will be had this year that will make a difference and will not be our long term starter. So we will have to get our future starter in next years draft of make a big time trade.

If Jim reaches this year for a qb in the draft we will make a serious mistake and be set back another year or 2 from my predictions above.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Like I said, we're missing a FEW KEY PIECES. One of the benefits of the WCO is the requirement that the QB get rid of the ball quickly. It wont solve our oline problems, but it can mask them quite a bit if you have the right QB. The oline is a question mark, but it's not going to be an area that will be addressed this offseason, hence we can assume that front management thinks they will improve in year 2.

CB can be addressed through FA. There are names like Bailey and Nnamdi out there; just depends on how aggressive Harbaugh is, and yes QB is the big question.....I think if Harbaugh goes out and gets a vet, we become contenders. If we go with a rookie, then chances are much lower.

You wouldn't bring in Mankins at G?

Edit: I agree that this is the year to solidify the D as there are so many good prospect and FA, but really want to get the OLine straight as well.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 16, 2011 at 1:58 PM ]
looking at Harbaughs W-L progression at san diego state and stanford I would say 2-3 years---Harbaugh isn't interested in building up to mediocrity--he wants to build up to greatness---so i think he would tear apart what can only max out at mediocrity rather than build upon it.

he will fix the secondary, pass rush , get a QB and whatever else needs fixing---

but it does take time.