LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 217 users in the forums

How many years before Harbaugh turns us around?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
AS LONG as he's improving the team every year doesn't matter to me how long it takes...Thing that Killed Nolan was his 1st and 2nd years he took a 2-14 team and year 1 doubled the win total to 4...Thats a HUGE Improvement when you concider you throw in a rook QB that spends his time trying to live to the next day. Kind of reminds me of the Runningman Mike Nolan had the team that didnt have any real talen on the team except for some of Gore but in general had no business winning 4 games I thought they'd do just as bad as the previous year...

Year 2 He again improves the team and again with some weapons and N Turner working with A Smith the team almost doubles its win total again goes from 4-12 to 7-9 If not for the defense ot stopping the Rams Yeah M Nolan goofed working the clock BUT if the defense STOPS the Rams they go 8-8. Or the defense STOPS the Browns

But what killed M Nolan was the following year he stumbles and has the QB issues with A Smith and his injury the team started well then the wheel came off the bus and Nolan was fired.

What Killed M Singletary? Again Like Nolan he took over the team and started guiding them goes 5-4 was it...the following year he gets the Niners to 8-8 over the full season an for the 1st time in several years they dont have a losing record. hen this year Everyone picked the niners to win the division and as crazy as it sounds if the just beat the Rams they would have made it to the playoffs with a horrid 7-9 record. Or In my opinion the game that killed them was losing to the Panthers if they won that game the would have won the division even if they still lost to the Rams. But when the Niners started 0-5 that was the defining moment again the Niners regressed and that cost M Singletary his job.

So as long as J Harbaugh keeps improving the team his job should be safe...but if he stumbles along the way Not sure what will happen...I mean he gets the team to say 9-7...11-5...12-4 then goes to 8-8 I dont think that would cost him his job. But if he goes 7-9 then 9-7 then 5-11 that would probably cost him...

Another thing to concider is this what cause the speed bump? If the team has a rash of injuries is it J Harbaughs fault? I keep wonderring what would happen to the colt if Game 1 they lose P Manning the way the Pats lost Brady a few years back...I think the Colts would be in alot more trouble.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
2 - 3 years. We need to get a QB in and develop him.
Year one will be rough for multiple reasons
1. New system on both sides of the ball ( I realize Fangio runs a 3-4 but his schemes are fundamentally different than Manusky's 3-4)
2. We still have young players developing at key positions (Mays,A.Davis,)
3.We also have huge holes on the defensive side of the ball at DB (shutdown cover guy) and at OLB ( we will let Lawson go due to his inability to provide a consistent pass rush). It is possible that we will have a hole at NT if we don't franchise Franklin. My point here is that we will most likely fill these holes in the draft (1st round Prince Amukamara, 2nd Jeremy Beal ) which adds to the point I made earlier about how we will still have young talent to develop.

I believe that by year two we will have a QB who feels comfortable in the system and all the above points will no longer be issues. Two years and we are back to winning football and hopefully in the playoffs.
It depends if we go with a veteran QB that we can plug in and expect immediate results or go right away with a rookie - either way I think we win the division next year, but to be SuperBowl competitive I think we'd have 3 yrs with a rookie QB or less with a vet.
It better be next season. We better be in the playoffs. There have been teams with less talent than us that have turned it around in 1 year, and have made the playoffs, or had a very strong season. We are not here to groom Harbaugh. This guy is supposedly the best new coach that has came out in a while, and we went after this guy like he was Walsh himself. Unless we are struck with injuries next year, there is no reason why we shouldn't be in the playoffs.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
If Carrol can win the division at 7-9 and win a playoff game, Harbaugh better get us to our first winning season since 2002 and hopefully win the division and a playoff game..

isn't 8-8 a winning season? Didn't we go 8-8, 2 years ago?

8-8 is not a winning season. LMAO.
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kray28:
If Carrol can win the division at 7-9 and win a playoff game, Harbaugh better get us to our first winning season since 2002 and hopefully win the division and a playoff game..

8-8 a winning season?
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Anyways...I think with the right coach, this team's current talent level is good enough to be "contending". That means...make the playoffs, and win a playoff game.

We are not talented enough all around to be considered favorites. There are serious holes on this team: QB(need a real QB), RB (Gore being injured, Westbrook probably leaving), DB (Clements probably gone), DE/LB (need a real pass rusher), WR (outside of Crabtree who is starter caliber?)

There are too many unknowns right now....Harbaugh is totally unproven in my book, and we won't see what he's really all about until he coaches at least a few games. All those who think that he's automatically a savior may be in for a rude awakening when the honeymoon period ends.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
2 - 3 years. We need to get a QB in and develop him.

This...

However -- should this work -- you will see automatic, overnight improvement in the way this team plays week in and week out. They may not win much. Walsh didn't win much his first season. But the product on the field was improving. You could see it. We were in almost every game that season before losing control in the 4th quarter.

In other words? You didn't see teams knock us off by a 44-7 score. As I remember -- nobody annihilated us during that first 2-14 season.

There was an exception -- as I recall. It was a preseason game against Seattle. And the SeaChickens were running up the score pretty badly. Walsh didn't want to take the wraps off his offense during games that didn't count -- but things got so bad at one point -- he unveiled the WCO playbook for the first time.

It was a meaningless score in a meaningless game -- but suddenly this beautiful, well-precisioned machine of an offense appeared -- drove the ball down the field -- and scored on a never-before seen tight end reverse.

I remember sitting up and saying "wow." It was a thing of beauty that drive. A thing of beauty.

So -- point is -- you will see dramatic improvement under Harbaugh almost immediately. Wins may take awhile. But -- at least this team will be fun to watch again.
IMO the mere hiring of Baalke/Harbaugh is a turn around for the Niners. Finally, we have some intelligence at the top.

With the same players (and even a marginally better QB), the team should have a genuine shot at winning the division. Baalke/Harbaugh has said that QB is the top priority, so I have no doubt that SOME solution will see an improvement.

Of course to consistently contend with the other top teams in other divisions will require much better QB play. But this division, the NFC West, can be had immediately.

So IMO we see an IMMEDIATE TURNAROUND and a division championship.

PS: Provided the new regime gets to actually coach the players in the preseason, i.e., there is no lockout until its too late.

In the NFC West it is
  • kray28
  • Veteran

In the NFC West it is

Only problem there is that the year we went 8-8, it wasn't.

A winning record by definition is a greater than .500 win pct.

In the NFC West it is

Only problem there is that the year we went 8-8, it wasn't.

A winning record by definition is a greater than .500 win pct.

I know, i was joking lol.
The team can't afford another 2-3 years. Hes going to be expected to go at least 8-8 this year. Pete Carrol got his team to the playoffs in one year. So Jim will have high expectations from York.
2 yrs.
Share 49ersWebzone