There are 85 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What is the identity of Harbaugh's offense?

I've heard numerous times over the past 3-4 years that the Niners have no offensive identity what so ever. We've claimed to be a run first team, but more often than not, we cannot run the ball effectively. We have more success passing the ball than running the ball when we actually open up the playbook. But anyways, thats not the main point of my thread.
What I want to know is this: What kind of identity can we expect with harbaugh's offense? Now, we all know that it is a WCO that he will run, but that is not the same thing as identity. Were his offenses at Stanford run first, then play-action teams? That's what I've mostly heard, but I'm not too sure b/c I've seen like 1.5 Stanford games in my life.
Basically, I'm trying to know how he gameplans. Run first, then playaction, then pass? Or something different?
Identity? Win.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
This is a very good question and we can speculate and probably will speculate all offseason, but the bottom line is that we won't know for sure until they play.

Too many question marks for me to even speculate at this point.
He will create an offense that will take advantage of the players strengths.
I brought this up b/c I've heard from a lot of people that he has a run first smashmouth offense. Or at least thats what he begins the games with and then opens up the pass.

I hope he's smart enough to realize that this mentality won't work so well in the NFL. We've all witnessed it for the past 6 years.
Originally posted by susweel:
He will create an offense that will take advantage of the players strengths.

and attack the opponents defense.

Also, a Killer Instinct.
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 3,483
Originally posted by niner4life21:
I've heard numerous times over the past 3-4 years that the Niners have no offensive

Fixed it for you...
I'm bracing for a power rushing attack. I know he likes shorter, efficient passes that are kind of an extension of the running game, so that's what I expect to see. Until he gains trust in his QB, I think it'll be very conservative, with an emphasis on moving the chains, rather than attacking vertically.

I think Gore will remain as the focal point of our offense. I expext to see a passing game more similar what the Rams (Shurmur) used this season, only with Vernon and Walker heavily involved.
Originally posted by strickac:
I'm bracing for a power rushing attack. I know he likes shorter, efficient passes that are kind of an extension of the running game, so that's what I expect to see. Until he gains trust in his QB, I think it'll be very conservative, with an emphasis on moving the chains, rather than attacking vertically.

I think Gore will remain as the focal point of our offense. I expext to see a passing game more similar what the Rams (Shurmur) used this season, only with Vernon and Walker heavily involved.

Well, maybe he only used the power rushing attack at Stanford b/c it worked? I'm guessing he's a smart guy and will realize that we have some weapons that can go vertical ( VD, Walker, Crabtree.)

I doubt we use something closely similar to what the Rams did. They had a rookie QB and a bunch of no names as receivers. We already have some decent/good weapons. I think we will get some decent veteran QB to use all this talent so it doesn't go to waste while a guy like Stanzi/Devlin/Dalton learns on the bench.
Originally posted by ea_thegreat:
Originally posted by susweel:
He will create an offense that will take advantage of the players strengths.

and attack the opponents defense.

Also, a Killer Instinct.

This will be fun to watch im sure!
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Identity? Win.
We will find out, I guess.

If it is anything like what Stanford ran, it will be a power running attack that sets up the play action passing game. It will involve multiple TE's, a FB, and a stable of backs to handle the load unless there is a star RB (i.e. Toby Gerhart).
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
We will find out, I guess.

If it is anything like what Stanford ran, it will be a power running attack that sets up the play action passing game. It will involve multiple TE's, a FB, and a stable of backs to handle the load unless there is a star RB (i.e. Toby Gerhart).

Well, he did say that he sets up the offense that uses his player's strengths. We all know that Stanford had the personell to run all over people every game.

So he should be able to see that were not capable of that.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
We will find out, I guess.

If it is anything like what Stanford ran, it will be a power running attack that sets up the play action passing game. It will involve multiple TE's, a FB, and a stable of backs to handle the load unless there is a star RB (i.e. Toby Gerhart).

Well, he did say that he sets up the offense that uses his player's strengths. We all know that Stanford had the personell to run all over people every game.

So he should be able to see that were not capable of that.

Good point! It will be interesting to see what he will do to adapt his system to the Niners existing personnel. Can't wait to see what he has in mind.........
I think his offense may be closer to Joe Gibbs' offense than Walsh. But there's no reason he can't mixed the two. If he can get us humming at 35pts a game offense, I'll be happy.

OK, maybe 30pts per game...
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jan 15, 2011 at 1:18 PM ]