LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 398 users in the forums

Expectations for the 2011 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by glorydayz:
The Jets got it turned around pretty quick. Maybe not the record but the whole buying into Ryan's system and changing the attitude of the team.

They brought in Ryan (who implemented a good defensive system), added some very high profile FA's, and drafted a QB.

Why wouldn't we be able to do something similar?

I agree with you 100%! I'm tired of watching other teams miraculously transform into football beasts. Where's our turn!?

Unfortunately this kind of thinking is like thinking with your dick.
It's premature to have any expectations. Our fate will completely lie on what QB is chosen.
We're gonna be the 2009 New York Jets (surprise team). We're gonna go 9-7, win the division, and lose to the Packers/Falcons in the NFC Championship.
if a new cba is agreed on in time and we have full ota's and tc then i expect playoffs, if no cba is agreed on and the majority of tc is gone and the season will be forced to start right away i expect struggles but a team that plays smart, well coached and in games against the good teams in the league and possibly win those
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
I'd be happy with 5-11/6-10 with us competing in a majority of the games.

If the offense starts off fine, I'd like to see some tangible progress in the offense by the end of the season.

Not sure how people can expect anything higher than 8-8. Odds are this team isn't going to shift from 3-yard and a cloud of dust, to complicated West Coast offense just like that.

You always surprise me with your eloquent and insightful critiques. Bottling up all of that into a smiley is impressive.

This team is in far too much flux to be able to seriously predict anything more than 8-8. There's 1-2 serviceable QB's we have a chance of landing in the FA/Trade.
[ Edited by OregonNiner87 on Jan 14, 2011 at 4:07 PM ]
Stuff that I'm reading got me pretty hyped up.

At the very least, I fully expect this team to be smarter, and extremely competitive on a consistent basis in 2011. We'll finally have a cohesive staff that's smart, strategic, and more importantly in unison.

In Jim I trust.
Jim is better than Pete.

"What's your deal?"

Championship.
Originally posted by LionHeartofGold:
It's premature to have any expectations. Our fate will completely lie on what QB is chosen.

Ya gotta B.E.L.I.E.V.E!
Even with the CBA cloud hanging over us, we can't start any worse than last year. We're still in a weak division, I'm gonna say 8-8 if Gore comes back 100%.

Originally posted by TheVoiceOfReason:
Jim is better than Pete.

"What's your deal?"

Championship.

Think they will sell those t-shirts when we play the hawks?
Originally posted by lamontb:
Yea I would rather wait til after the draft and free agency to really guague my full expectations.

Once again there will be a lot of change and a lot of learning of new systems. Plus they don't even have qb. I would go 8-8 at best 6-10 at worst.

I agree. This next season will be rough, but I'm very happy that it's a fresh start. I'm tired of going through every game & being able to predict what will happen. Plus, all the steps seem to point to the right direction.
  • Envy
  • Veteran
My expectations for 2011? They are meeting them right now. I wanted the culture to change. I wanted the vision to change. I wanted them to embrace our identity.

They've ticked all these boxes in the first week.

Beyond that I await the choice of QB before I draft new expectations.
Norcal, our opponents combined record this year was 119-137. I looked at your list of our 2011 opponents, and their W/L record (this years) is 119-137 - the same.
Originally posted by rage49:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
The Jets got it turned around pretty quick. Maybe not the record but the whole buying into Ryan's system and changing the attitude of the team.

They brought in Ryan (who implemented a good defensive system), added some very high profile FA's, and drafted a QB.

Why wouldn't we be able to do something similar?

I agree with you 100%! I'm tired of watching other teams miraculously transform into football beasts. Where's our turn!?

Unfortunately this kind of thinking is like thinking with your dick.

It'll depend on if a new CBA is agreed on in time. I'm pretty sure we'll be able to compete in most games this next season & we'll be a playoff contender by 2012 season.
Share 49ersWebzone