LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 301 users in the forums

Expectations for the 2011 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by glorydayz:
The Jets got it turned around pretty quick. Maybe not the record but the whole buying into Ryan's system and changing the attitude of the team.

They brought in Ryan (who implemented a good defensive system), added some very high profile FA's, and drafted a QB.

Why wouldn't we be able to do something similar?

CBA. Impossible to have that much offseason activity if they don't have the entire offseason together.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Any and all obstacles must be overcome.

Losing is not an option.
I am astonished at these outlooks. Being delighted at the firing of Sing and the hiring of Harbaugh, and the replacement of DC and OC coordinators, and they still do not expect the 2011 record to be any better than this year. Huh? What gives?
I expect a better record than this past season, partly due to schedule and improvement. I think Harbaugh and the gang will have players more prepared and in better spirits. And like Baalke was saying in his interview our secondary and others lost confidence. i think our players will be more confident and play better on both sides. I dont expect a playoff run but who really knows, and we have a legit shot at winning the west. I see a turnaround good enough for us as fans to get on board and excited and year 2 and 3 under JH will be much better.
Originally posted by excelsior:
I am astonished at these outlooks. Being delighted at the firing of Sing and the hiring of Harbaugh, and the replacement of DC and OC coordinators, and they still do not expect the 2011 record to be any better than this year. Huh? What gives?

I'm just throwing out some realistic concerns.... I should add another. Here are our 2011 opponents:

49ers 2011 opponents

• Shifty
  • Veteran
Way too early for me to come up with expectations, I will save that for after the free agency, draft, training camp
we'll finish tied for first in the league, 0-0 cus there wont be a season
Originally posted by jcashen87:
I expect a better record than this past season, partly due to schedule and improvement. I think Harbaugh and the gang will have players more prepared and in better spirits. And like Baalke was saying in his interview our secondary and others lost confidence. i think our players will be more confident and play better on both sides. I dont expect a playoff run but who really knows, and we have a legit shot at winning the west. I see a turnaround good enough for us as fans to get on board and excited and year 2 and 3 under JH will be much better.

Schedule? Schedule?

49ers 2011 opponents

To have a fighting chance we need the CBA resolved. If that's not resolved, and it wont be is what all of our beat writers are hearing, no coach will be able to teach squat or "prepare" anyone until August when the season starts.
Originally posted by rawdel:
My expectation for our 49ers every year never changes... CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

this
I need to see good coaching next season. I'm not expecting a huge year with all the turn over, id just like to see a well run team.

• GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Impossible to say until we know who our starting QB is for next year.

I agree with this. If we get Josh Johnson or Kevin Kolb, Kyle Orton in a trade then we will be contending in the west. But if we start a rookie and the CBA takes long, then we will be working for 2012 to make a move.
6-10 last year. 2 or 3 plays away from being 9-7...even with the joke of a staff/scheme etc. My opinion...Jimmy boy gives us at least those 2 or 3 extra wins.
we went 6-10 with some of the worst coaching in history. how do you expect to win when the opponents know what you are going to do. we also didnt perform as well but thats just part of it.

rams went from 1-15 to 7-9
bucs went from 3-13 to 10-6
chiefs went from 4-12 to 10-6
lions went from 2-14 to 6-10 and competed until the wire in a lot of games

just because it is only one year and new coach new system doesnt mean things cant be turned around. yes we do have a lot of question marks but as we all have learned anything can happen in our division
Superbowl or bust!
Originally posted by jays9ers:
I need to see good coaching next season. I'm not expecting a huge year with all the turn over, id just like to see a well run team.

Agreed. That was sort of my point about the progress made over the season and the development. If I see creativity, which is an expectation, then I know the efforts there and that it will take time to master. Not like that BS Singlertary churned out that sapped the red and gold from my soul on every play. I expect to see innovation as a work in progress.
Share 49ersWebzone