LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 299 users in the forums

Sources: Clements won't return under current deal

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Draft Amukamara and then Nate can be the nickel when Fangio thinks Prince is ready to start.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Draft Amukamara and then Nate can be the nickel when Fangio thinks Prince is ready to start.

He will restructure. The players know more than anyone what was probably missing on this team and that was coaching.

Clements has a choice: get cut and paid nothing (no money is guaranteed to him, right?) or restructure for less total money but some guaranteed money.

Let's see, no money for 2011 in a possible lockout or some guaranteed money from restructure: he will be back with us.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Joecool:
He will restructure. The players know more than anyone what was probably missing on this team and that was coaching.

Clements has a choice: get cut and paid nothing (no money is guaranteed to him, right?) or restructure for less total money but some guaranteed money.

Let's see, no money for 2011 in a possible lockout or some guaranteed money from restructure: he will be back with us.

I think he will leave he can make more money in free agency then he can by staying. He will chase the money.
Originally posted by susweel:

I think he will leave he can make more money in free agency then he can by staying. He will chase the money.

exactly, non-guranteed contracts, and aging player means hes chasing the loot
Originally posted by crabman82:

Yes but he will not get to fish around for these reasons:

1. still under contract
2. no guarantee of a 2011 season
3. FA can't do s**t yet until CBA...right?

All of this equates to far too many risks for Nate making $0.00 if the 49ers try to restructure but end up cutting him late with the CBA still up in the air.

NO team will pick him up for the money he wants with the risk of paying him that big lump in a possible strike season.

Nate will be dumb to take that risk and another team will be even dumber to pay him with the risks of no season.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran

No CBA has a lot of uncertainty around free agency this offseason. He'll likely restructure.

1. still under contract

All of this equates to far too many risks for Nate making $0.00 if the 49ers try to restructure but end up cutting him late with the CBA still up in the air.

NO team will pick him up for the money he wants with the risk of paying him that big lump in a possible strike season.

Nate will be dumb to take that risk and another team will be even dumber to pay him with the risks of no season.

I believe teams can extend their own free agents before the end of the current CBA. Believe I read that somewhere, but don't quote me.
Originally posted by WINiner:

1. still under contract

I believe teams can extend their own free agents before the end of the current CBA. Believe I read that somewhere, but don't quote me.

you are correct

1. still under contract

Yes, but if we decide not to due to a disagreement about numbers, then another team is taking a huge risk at paying Nate for the money he wants into a questionable year. He wants shutdown money and I don't think there is a team out there who will pay him shutdown money. He will be in limbo if he doesn't resign with us unless he is as good as a guy like the DB from the Raiders.

Clements used to punch the ball out of WRs hands and get fumbles. Now, WRs are exacting revenge and punching the INT ball out of his hands. Karma has returned...time to cut the overpaid FA.
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Clements used to punch the ball out of WRs hands and get fumbles. Now, WRs are exacting revenge and punching the INT ball out of his hands. Karma has returned...time to cut the overpaid FA.

Just Nate being Nate

You bring up a great point. Do you think the players are excited about the coaching change? I wonder if there is a sense among the players that if Harbaugh can bring the offense around, they are a playoff team?

I would thing that the guys on offense are excited! Guys like Crabtree, VD, Morgan, and Walker should be very excited. Even a guys like Williams and Ziegler should be amped, THEY MAY ACTUALLY GET TO TOUCH THE BALL.

1. still under contract

Yes, but if we decide not to due to a disagreement about numbers, then another team is taking a huge risk at paying Nate for the money he wants into a questionable year. He wants shutdown money and I don't think there is a team out there who will pay him shutdown money. He will be in limbo if he doesn't resign with us unless he is as good as a guy like the DB from the Raiders.

I agree with you Joe. Not saying Nate CANT get paid elsewhere, it will just be a HUGE risk with the uncertaintity of the 2011 Season. I still think he is a decent corner, not as good as he obviously thinks he is, but he is good and GREAT against the run.

I think he will restructure and take the "guaranteed" route
It's easy, let Nate and his diminishing skills walk, we talk Nnamdi into "staying in the Bay area" "not moving his family" you know the old Harbaugh approach, join our Top 5 D next year, we draft Prince with the 7 pick and we let Harbaugh work his magic on the Offensive side of the ball. With Nnamdi and Price on each side, Spencer at nickel.... that in it's self will create more pressure. Coverage sacks and ect. I really want Peterson or Price at #7. Depends which one falls to us. They both played against pro style/ high powered offenses and pretty much held their own. I'm sorry but Im VERY nervous about taking Quinn whos 1. from NC (Balmer anyone?) and 2. he hasn't played ball in a year, or any hybrid player we're going to try to experiment with. I'm tired of playing with players positions at the next level. Don't get me wrong, Rd 4-7, tinker away. However I really want to get 3 starters/part-time staters our of this years draft. The depth is there at all the right positions we need it to be. We just need great scouting. That brings us to QB, and i'm sorry but the drop off from the projected 1st rd qb's to the projected 3rd rd qb's playing in the WCO. I just don't see that big of a difference. What we really need this year people, Is lady luck to hang around b/c when you really get down to it luck is a major part of it. Don't forget Phil Simms was #1 on Walsh's QB board that year. Thank the good lord he was gone before we had the chance to get him, but like I said luck plays a big part in it. Next year is it too much to ask for a 10 sack player, a 1000 yard running back, a 3000 yard passer and a 1000 yard receiver?? I mean aren't we due?? It's it our turn up in here!!
Share 49ersWebzone