There are 205 users in the forums

Stadium question for the people who live in SF

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by 9erB4Us:
@Marvin49 1/13/11 @9:51am

Gawd Marv, what are you complaining about? The OP specifically said that he wanted to hear from individuals *WHO RESIDE IN SAN FRANCISCO REGARDING THE STADIUM ISSUE.* If you have a problem with that, you should take it up with the OP of the thread.

I have a question for you Marvin, who pays you to be the spokesperson on THE PROPOSED 49ER STADIUM? I have been on several websites, and there is always someone like you, who is the spokesperson for the 49er Stadium in Santa Clara. In fact on *forums.49ers.com,* they won't even let individuals who live in SF register to be a blogger on their site, because they are Pro-Move the 49ers to Santa Clara website. I'm just sayin... "Thanks 49ers Webzone Fan Forum, for letting all 49er fans join your MB."

@Gavintech...
You are absolutely correct, HP is going to happen, with or without the 49ers Stadium. Your entire comment is on the money. And of course infrastructure, roads, and transportation will be included in the project.

Now I will answer some of your points Marv...

2) The Old Meadowlands in NYC, where the Giants, & Jets played was also built on a Toxic Waste Dump...Did anything happen? NO, it was throughly cleaned up, nobody is glowing green.

4) Thats exactly what I said, the proposed Stadium in SC sits on 14 Acres, it will be built on Great America's overflow Parking Lot. Great America as to date, is involved in a Law Suit with the 49ers, and has NOT giving any permission for the 49ers to Park in their Amusement Park Parking Lot on Game Days.

In fact GA is so PO'ed at the City of Santa Clara elected Officials, and the 49ers for ignoring their concerns about running their business, that GA has threatened to also be open on 49er Game Days....Talk about Nigthmare Traffic Issues.

5) Done Deal...former mayor Gavin Newsom, and Jed York hammered out a deal for ALL REPAIRS TO BE DONE AT THE CANDLESTICK.
http://www.mercurynews.com/southbayfootball/ci_16930812?nclick_check=1

7) So Marvin, why didn't the Morabito's lobby the NFL for the 49ers to play football in the South Bay? After all thats where the Morabito's are from, the South Bay...Because the draw is the City of San Francisco itself..(I.E. See the the SF Giants at AT&T Park)

Traffic...Trust me I lived on the North Side of Santa Clara, and if you think Candlestick traffic is bad...get ready for Worst, that proposed stadium site is no where near Freeways 101, of 237...you will have to drive ON SURFACE STREETS TO GET TO THOSE FREEWAYS. And remember this stadium site is also located near a residential area, so a lot of streets will be blocked off.

Lastly Marvin, I say it right up front, I Love the 49ers, and I strongly believe that the team should remain in the City of their Birth. The Pro-Move to Santa Clara folks always say, to a word, "I'd like for the 49ers to stay in SF, but its not feasible." Then they go on to espouse their Bias, as to why Santa Clara is a better location for the team. Just say it dude...You want the 49ers in the Suburbs!

As I said before I, don't care to go back, and forth with you on this subject, cuz you pro-move folks will debate until the cows come home...And we will never come to agreement, cuz I embrace the 49ers History, and you have a different opinion about the 49ers History.

To suggest that Niner fans who believe Santa Clara is the better stadium site are turning their backs on history is pretty cheap. I don't remember Kezar but I will cherish the memories of Candlestick forever, and that won't change when they're playing in Santa Clara. And any future epic moments and memories experienced in Santa Clara will be no less valuable to me because they didn't occur in San Francisco. It's all the same franchise. It's all the same history.

Kezar is in San Francisco. Candlestick is in San Francisco. See the difference? Personally, I'd wait an additional hour or 2 just to keep the 49ers in San Francisco and I think people should stop whining about traffic, parking, weather, etc. However, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for them to move to Santa Clara. It's still the Bay Area, there's a lot of Giants fans in San Jose, and most of all, it beats them moving to L.A. or even outside of California. I wish they'd find a way to remain in the city though.
It doesn't matter.

Dianne Feinstein proposed legislation to force the 49ers to leave their name in SF if they move to SC. I'm pretty sure it's part of the new lease agreement as well.

So the San Francisco 49ers, should they move to Santa Clara, will change to the Santa Clara...Programmers?
Originally posted by area49:
It doesn't matter.

Dianne Feinstein proposed legislation to force the 49ers to leave their name in SF if they move to SC. I'm pretty sure it's part of the new lease agreement as well.

So the San Francisco 49ers, should they move to Santa Clara, will change to the Santa Clara...Programmers?

What did you think about the Jim Harbaugh signing?
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
It doesn't matter.

Impressive, but irrelevant to this thread.
  • B650
  • Veteran
It doesn't matter.

I don't know if that's true. Doubt York is dumb enough to move the team if they can't keep the name. They'd lose a ton of profit.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for bigmur49.
@ bigmur49

I am a resident of San Francisco, and I'm not gonna lie...I want the 49ers to remain playing Football in the City they have played in for 64 years...

The original plan was for Candlestick to be torn down, and to rebuild on the Candlestick Site. But after the York ownership came in they decided that they did not like the Candlestick Park site, due to traffic, and parking.

So our former Mayor, Gavin Newsom sugguested to the Yorks that the Hunter Point site for the 49ers might be better...the Yorks rejected it. And settled on Santa Clara.

But can you imagine a 49er Stadium like AT&T Park? It would be Outstanding!

Well seeing as I might make it to a handful of games in my lifetime I look at from the point of view of what look's good on TV! A backdrop like AT&T with the personal touches (splash hits, the Coke bottle, McCovey Cove) make it easily the nicest place to watch a game on TV. A new stadium in Santa Clara might make money for the team but as a tv viewer I'd rather see them in SF with alll the amazing landscapes around it.
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
It doesn't matter.

Impressive, but irrelevant to this thread.

Didn't you say at one point "I told you so" when news broke out that the Dolphins were were in the lead to land Harbaugh? At which point you then proceeded to demand an apology for being mocked earlier.

-9fA
It doesn't matter.

What also doesn't matter is that legislation will NEVER pass. The 49ers will move to Santa Clara and still be called the San Francisco 49ers.

And at the proposed stadium site not being anywhere near the 101.

Also, Great America is closed for most of the football season if I remember correctly. They'll get over it when they get PAID for the land.
It doesn't matter.

Proposed yes . . . passed no . . . and the name use terms are not part of any lease agreement . . . why on earth would they do that? If they can move their HQ to Santa Clara and keep thier name, why couldn't they play their games there too?
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Jan 13, 2011 at 10:27 PM ]
  • mod
  • Veteran
It doesn't matter.

[ Edited by modninerfan on Jan 14, 2011 at 10:25 AM ]

Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

Gawd Marv, what are you complaining about? The OP specifically said that he wanted to hear from individuals *WHO RESIDE IN SAN FRANCISCO REGARDING THE STADIUM ISSUE.* If you have a problem with that, you should take it up with the OP of the thread.

I have a question for you Marvin, who pays you to be the spokesperson on THE PROPOSED 49ER STADIUM? I have been on several websites, and there is always someone like you, who is the spokesperson for the 49er Stadium in Santa Clara. In fact on *forums.49ers.com,* they won't even let individuals who live in SF register to be a blogger on their site, because they are Pro-Move the 49ers to Santa Clara website. I'm just sayin... "Thanks 49ers Webzone Fan Forum, for letting all 49er fans join your MB."

@Gavintech...
You are absolutely correct, HP is going to happen, with or without the 49ers Stadium. Your entire comment is on the money. And of course infrastructure, roads, and transportation will be included in the project.

2) The Old Meadowlands in NYC, where the Giants, & Jets played was also built on a Toxic Waste Dump...Did anything happen? NO, it was throughly cleaned up, nobody is glowing green.

4) Thats exactly what I said, the proposed Stadium in SC sits on 14 Acres, it will be built on Great America's overflow Parking Lot. Great America as to date, is involved in a Law Suit with the 49ers, and has NOT giving any permission for the 49ers to Park in their Amusement Park Parking Lot on Game Days.

In fact GA is so PO'ed at the City of Santa Clara elected Officials, and the 49ers for ignoring their concerns about running their business, that GA has threatened to also be open on 49er Game Days....Talk about Nigthmare Traffic Issues.

5) Done Deal...former mayor Gavin Newsom, and Jed York hammered out a deal for ALL REPAIRS TO BE DONE AT THE CANDLESTICK.

7) So Marvin, why didn't the Morabito's lobby the NFL for the 49ers to play football in the South Bay? After all thats where the Morabito's are from, the South Bay...Because the draw is the City of San Francisco itself..(I.E. See the the SF Giants at AT&T Park)

Traffic...Trust me I lived on the North Side of Santa Clara, and if you think Candlestick traffic is bad...get ready for Worst, that proposed stadium site is no where near Freeways 101, of 237...you will have to drive ON SURFACE STREETS TO GET TO THOSE FREEWAYS. And remember this stadium site is also located near a residential area, so a lot of streets will be blocked off.

Lastly Marvin, I say it right up front, I Love the 49ers, and I strongly believe that the team should remain in the City of their Birth. The Pro-Move to Santa Clara folks always say, to a word, "I'd like for the 49ers to stay in SF, but its not feasible." Then they go on to espouse their Bias, as to why Santa Clara is a better location for the team. Just say it dude...You want the 49ers in the Suburbs!

As I said before I, don't care to go back, and forth with you on this subject, cuz you pro-move folks will debate until the cows come home...And we will never come to agreement, cuz I embrace the 49ers History, and you have a different opinion about the 49ers History.

To suggest that Niner fans who believe Santa Clara is the better stadium site are turning their backs on history is pretty cheap. I don't remember Kezar but I will cherish the memories of Candlestick forever, and that won't change when they're playing in Santa Clara. And any future epic moments and memories experienced in Santa Clara will be no less valuable to me because they didn't occur in San Francisco. It's all the same franchise. It's all the same history.

Kezar is in San Francisco. Candlestick is in San Francisco. See the difference? Personally, I'd wait an additional hour or 2 just to keep the 49ers in San Francisco and I think people should stop whining about traffic, parking, weather, etc. However, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for them to move to Santa Clara. It's still the Bay Area, there's a lot of Giants fans in San Jose, and most of all, it beats them moving to L.A. or even outside of California. I wish they'd find a way to remain in the city though.

Yes I can see the difference . . . that's why I pointed out the difference. The point is it makes no difference so long as they remain in the Bay Area.
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Jan 14, 2011 at 7:10 AM ]
Originally posted by bigmur49:
@ bigmur49

I am a resident of San Francisco, and I'm not gonna lie...I want the 49ers to remain playing Football in the City they have played in for 64 years...

The original plan was for Candlestick to be torn down, and to rebuild on the Candlestick Site. But after the York ownership came in they decided that they did not like the Candlestick Park site, due to traffic, and parking.

So our former Mayor, Gavin Newsom sugguested to the Yorks that the Hunter Point site for the 49ers might be better...the Yorks rejected it. And settled on Santa Clara.

But can you imagine a 49er Stadium like AT&T Park? It would be Outstanding!

Well seeing as I might make it to a handful of games in my lifetime I look at from the point of view of what look's good on TV! A backdrop like AT&T with the personal touches (splash hits, the Coke bottle, McCovey Cove) make it easily the nicest place to watch a game on TV. A new stadium in Santa Clara might make money for the team but as a tv viewer I'd rather see them in SF with alll the amazing landscapes around it.

I can agree with that, but it comes down to money. If the niners can generate revenue like how the cowboys and others do from luxury suites and all, then they can give better bonuses, which is the key in any contract negotiations with a FA or player resign
No city has yet tried to sue for the right to keep a team from using the city name. Know why? The legal costs and success, the fact that litigation can tie things up for years and injunction would allow the niners to keep the name for awhile. Also, unless the team moves out of the bay area, say to another state, the argument might be less compeling. Another thing that the team can argue is that the city did not give them what they wanted etc., but they are still near the city. Then there is a fact that there is no prior case to compare. The biggest thing is how much will it costs the taxpayers.
Originally posted by WildBill:
No city has yet tried to sue for the right to keep a team from using the city name. Know why? The legal costs and success, the fact that litigation can tie things up for years and injunction would allow the niners to keep the name for awhile. Also, unless the team moves out of the bay area, say to another state, the argument might be less compeling. Another thing that the team can argue is that the city did not give them what they wanted etc., but they are still near the city. Then there is a fact that there is no prior case to compare. The biggest thing is how much will it costs the taxpayers.

IMO the entire premise that the City would actually litigate to keep the 49ers from using the San Francisco name if they move is idiotic. They know they're going to lose the team . . . that ship has sailed. They'd be better off keeping the identity and prestige of having an NFL franchise bear their name than losing both the stadium and the franchise identity.

@Gavintech...

Traffic...Trust me I lived on the North Side of Santa Clara, and if you think Candlestick traffic is bad...get ready for Worst, that proposed stadium site is no where near Freeways 101, or 237...you will have to drive ON SURFACE STREETS TO GET TO THOSE FREEWAYS. And remember this stadium site is also located near a residential area, so a lot of streets will be blocked off.

LOL!!!

Sorry, the "only SF" thing just touches a nerve. People ask questions like that assuming that ONLY a resident of SF would know the answer. The 49ers ONLY belong to the city of SF. Its nothing you said, its just a touchy subject for me around these parts. ;-)

1) Ahem....so much for agreeing to disagree..."who pays you to be the spokesperson on THE PROPOSED 49ER STADIUM?". Nice. You stay classy.

I never got insulting, so thanx for taking it to that level.

2) It is just one hurdle among many. BTW, the Meadowlands isn't in New York. Its in New Jersey. Its in a different STATE.

4) (You seem to have skipped 3) Please. Give me a break about Great America. First, they don't have the right to "refuse". Second, Cedar Fair wants to SELL the park and is just trying to use their percived leverage to get the 49ers, the League, or the City to buy the park from them.

5) Yes, they made a deal. Too bad they didn't live up to the previous deal for the past decade and a half and thats why the park fell into disrepair in the first place. The City was on the hook for the repairs LONG before last year. They have been in violation of that copntract for YEARS.

7) (skipped another number) I'm not quite sure what we are arguing here. The Niners played in SF. Yup. Correct. Whats the point? I'm saying that REGARDLESS of where their home games are played, they belong to the Bay Area, not just SF.

I live in SJ and am currently sitting right off Trimble. I know the area as well. 101 and 237 are right there. Yes, you need to take a SIX LANE surface street (Tasman and then Great America Blvd) to get to EITHER freeway. It also has Amtrac and Light Rail. Wahy are you even arguing this?

"The Pro-Move to Santa Clara folks always say, to a word, "I'd like for the 49ers to stay in SF, but its not feasible." Then they go on to espouse their Bias, as to why Santa Clara is a better location for the team."

Um, bro, the answer is right there in your sentance. We would prefer them to stay in SF, BUT ITS NOT FEASABLE!!!!!

I'd love them to stay if SF. I wish they could find a downtown locale like AT&T. I wish they could figure it all out and make the Navy Shipyard work. The grass parking lots to make it green, the water all around, and the slight modification to the stadium to allow a vew of the SF skyline would not be just better, but FAR superior to the SC location in terms of asthetics.

Ya...you don't want to do a back and forth, but you sure do want the last say, don't you? You want to blast another opinion, and then sound like YOU'RE the one being resonable by saying lets not do a back and forth because "Us Pro-SC Folks" won't ever give in.

Um, who's the pot here and who's the kettle?
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jan 14, 2011 at 12:23 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone