There are 258 users in the forums

Stadium question for the people who live in SF

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I live in Toronto and so I don't exactly get a lot of the local stadium news for the Niners. My question is this:
Why can't the just demolish Candlestick and re-build right there?

Move to Stanford or AT&T for 3 seasons while the build the new Candlestick and then move back when it's done.

Is anything like this even considered in the area. I know they played at Stanford in 89 when they had the earthquake, and I know the XFL team played at the Giants stadium, so why can't they play there?

Not trying to get into a debate, I just don't know all the facts and have been curious.
For the fan watching on TV, playing at AT&T would look great!! (I know they can't stay there because there are not enough seats).
The Yorks simply decided about five years ago that Santa Clara was a better place to build a new stadium and that was that.
  • PaulW
  • Veteran
Because one of the biggest issues with Candlestick is the traffic. There is only 1 way in and 1 way out. It literally takes 2+ hours to get out of the parking lot after games.
Originally posted by PaulW:
Because one of the biggest issues with Candlestick is the traffic. There is only 1 way in and 1 way out. It literally takes 2+ hours to get out of the parking lot after games.

Exactly. The location just doesn't lend it's self to the traffic anymore.

that's pretty much the case at any major sports arena though. I don't think it's that bad at Candlestick.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

that's pretty much the case at any major sports arena though. I don't think it's that bad at Candlestick.

Really? It's bad at all sporting events, but Candlestick is ridiculous... It's a residential area.
Candlestick traffic is pretty bad compared to other stadiums i've been to. Its bad everywhere but being in the small expensive confines of SF maybe just couldnt be done i dont really know. And as a Giants fan also i kind of think just baseball should be played there, its a baseball stadium and i never liked shared stadiums like in oakland and back in the day at the stick. Stanford just doesnt have enough seats, and i dont know if they sell alcohol on campus and thats a big deal in the NFL now. People got to have there booze. personally i like to stay sober at the games, see whats going on.
Logistically speaking, they can't demolish and build in time for the next year. Other temporary venues would all pose problems. The access is a big problem as well.
There are no other venues in the bay are that even come close to the NFL minimum requirement for capacity. Stanford was remodeled drastically, and only hold around 40,000 now. The Oakland colosium would be able to host it, but I think we all know that's not happening.

With all that said, candlestick point really would have to be completely rebuilt to be able to pull it off. The last estimates had that construction at a couple billion dollars, IIRC.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

Always heard stories at how bad the traffic coming in and out of Candlestick was. I thought it could not be as bad as people claimed it was. Went to a game in 09, the MNF game against Arizona. Getting in was bad but man getting out...I had never seen anything as bad as that and I have been to NFL games in New Jersey/NY, Tampa, Miami and Atlanta. I mean you don't move for like 2-3 hours. It took us a good 4 hours to get out.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Always heard stories at how bad the traffic coming in and out of Candlestick was. I thought it could not be as bad as people claimed it was. Went to a game in 09, the MNF game against Arizona. Getting in was bad but man getting out...I had never seen anything as bad as that and I have been to NFL games in New Jersey/NY, Tampa, Miami and Atlanta. I mean you don't move for like 2-3 hours. It took us a good 4 hours to get out.

God bless the place, but building it there was a bad idea to begin with in 1958. It's a bad location for weather and traffic . . . although the original capacity was only about 43,000 so the traffic probably wasn't as crazy for Giants games back in the day.

The Santa Clara site has much better access.

That will not be the case soon.
Originally posted by bigmur49:
I live in Toronto and so I don't exactly get a lot of the local stadium news for the Niners. My question is this:
Why can't the just demolish Candlestick and re-build right there?

Move to Stanford or AT&T for 3 seasons while the build the new Candlestick and then move back when it's done.

Is anything like this even considered in the area. I know they played at Stanford in 89 when they had the earthquake, and I know the XFL team played at the Giants stadium, so why can't they play there?

Not trying to get into a debate, I just don't know all the facts and have been curious.
For the fan watching on TV, playing at AT&T would look great!! (I know they can't stay there because there are not enough seats).

Where they want to build the new stadium in Hunters Point can be measured in yards from the Stick. It would be pretty close to building right at Candlestick already.
Originally posted by bigmur49:

I don't remember if it was like this for the Demons but when they have football games at AT&T now they have to have both teams on the same sideline because there is not enough room to have a sideline on both. I don't think the NFL would go for that.
Share 49ersWebzone