LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 365 users in the forums

Nate Byham As Our WCO Fullback?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I completely agree that Sopoaga should be used at FB inside the 5 yard line. Contrary to what the haters say about Soap, he had an excellent year. He is death against the run and the role of DE in Manusky's defense was not to rush the passer but to stop the run. He did that and still had 2 sacks (Franklin went through the season without a single sack).

In high school, Soap played FB at 285 lbs. He is an outstanding rugby player and can dunk a basketball which gives a clue as to his athletic ability. He is used to handling the ball. Finally, Soap is also the fastest defensive lineman off the ball. I know MacDonald fans will disagree but Tomsula timed all of the defensive linemen and Soap proved to be the fastest. He will be exciting at FB in the Red Zone.

As to Byham at FB, no way. Did the guy who started this topic EVER see the great Niner WCO in action? Roger Craig was the ideal FB. Big, fast, great blocker and excellent hands. Byham couldn't carry his jock. Dixon has promise and could be coached to be an excellent WCO FB.

Boy, it 's good to have a REAL coach and to be able to look toward next season with REAL confidence.
Originally posted by frenchtoast:
I completely agree that Sopoaga should be used at FB inside the 5 yard line. Contrary to what the haters say about Soap, he had an excellent year. He is death against the run and the role of DE in Manusky's defense was not to rush the passer but to stop the run. He did that and still had 2 sacks (Franklin went through the season without a single sack).

In high school, Soap played FB at 285 lbs. He is an outstanding rugby player and can dunk a basketball which gives a clue as to his athletic ability. He is used to handling the ball. Finally, Soap is also the fastest defensive lineman off the ball. I know MacDonald fans will disagree but Tomsula timed all of the defensive linemen and Soap proved to be the fastest. He will be exciting at FB in the Red Zone.

As to Byham at FB, no way. Did the guy who started this topic EVER see the great Niner WCO in action? Roger Craig was the ideal FB. Big, fast, great blocker and excellent hands. Byham couldn't carry his jock. Dixon has promise and could be coached to be an excellent WCO FB.

Boy, it 's good to have a REAL coach and to be able to look toward next season with REAL confidence.

That could work too, I remember Soap saying he wanted to be on offense more. Why not as a full time FB if we can find a stud DT or DE in the draft?
We should just signed LeRon McClain. He's similar to Tolbert. Aside from FB, he's a tough short-yardage back and has the ability to start in a pinch. Plus he's a nightmare for DBs to bring down and he'd be very effective on screens and dumpoffs.

I'm a big fan of his game and love to see him in a Niner uniform. I can't remember the last real power back we had.

I still can't get Raye's favorite play, FB draw to Norris (fake pitch to Gore) out of my head. A 6 year old can get more creative than that.
Originally posted by Multibomber:
I trust Jim Harbaugh to make the right decision
Yes. I like him as a blocker and some posters pointed out that we had great rushing stats when he was in the game.

Plus, although he is not a huge weapon in the pass game, he has a pair of hands unlike Moron Norris. He'd be like the fullback that the Saints and Packers use.

Use Byham as our fullback. Convert Dixon into a hybrid FB type guy. Gore stays as #1 back. Draft a speedy change of pace guy like Derrick Locke.

FB: Byham/Dixon split time 50-50%
RB: Gore/Locke split time: Gore 70-30 Locke
I wouldn't be surprised if they used Anthony Dixon as FB also. Especially if they resign Westbrook.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
It seems like there is a disagreement about the difference between a tight end playing fullback in the WCO and a more traditional fullback in the WCO.

We all know that a WCO fullback is an offensive weapon, not just a blocker.

Here's my issue with this discussion. Yes, a guy like Byham or Walker can do some of the things that you want from a WCO fullback. We also know that Harbaugh likes his tight ends. So, I can see the argument for Byham or Walker.

Here's the problem I see with the argument....

What many of you are describing is not a WCO fullback. It is an h-back or f-back, depending on the system terminology. This is a hybrid position used to create mismatches in the pass game and block in the run game. There is more to the position, but this is what most are focusing on because it is what they want from a WCO fullback.

Unfortunately, there is one important ingredient missing from this position... the ability to run the football. A WCO fullback needs to be able to run the ball in addition to the other qualities listed. Can Byham or Walker run the football like a running back? I don't really think it's realistic to expect them to do that.

That's why I mentioned Anthony Dixon as a possibility. I think it will be much easier to teach Dixon to lead block than it would be to teach a TE to run the football. I like the other options of signing one of the prototypical WCO fullbacks. We will need another running back anyway and hopefully we finally dump Moran Norris.

Now, I know Harbaugh seems to like his tight ends (that just doesn't sound right ), but that doesn't mean you can't have three or four (or even five if you want to count Brian Jennings ) tight ends on the roster and still have a roster spot for a running back that can play the role of WCO fullback. Why limit yourself?

The CBA issue is obviously going to play a role in what we are able to do this season. We'll have to wait and see how that plays out.

All that said, I trust Harbaugh to make the right decision. Especially if we are going to be keeping Rathman around.

Did the guy who started this topic EVER see the great Niner WCO in action? Roger Craig was the ideal FB. Big, fast, great blocker and excellent hands. Byham couldn't carry his jock. Dixon has promise and could be coached to be an excellent WCO FB.

What?

Look Holmes Roger was an okay fullback not a great one like Rathman. Roger was an amazing halfback. Roger was the first halfback that ran and received for 1000 yards in a season and should be in the hall of Fame. As a halfback or running back he did not set any kind of example as a Fullback.

Before you post again do me a favor and read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Craig_(American_football)

Then watch this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6lLg2CFqkQ

after that you can post thoughts about Roger Craig again.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Need4Speed:

Did the guy who started this topic EVER see the great Niner WCO in action? Roger Craig was the ideal FB. Big, fast, great blocker and excellent hands. Byham couldn't carry his jock. Dixon has promise and could be coached to be an excellent WCO FB.

What?

Look Holmes Roger was an okay fullback not a great one like Rathman. Roger was an amazing halfback. Roger was the first halfback that ran and received for 1000 yards in a season and should be in the hall of Fame. As a halfback or running back he did not set any kind of example as a Fullback.

Before you post again do me a favor and read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Craig_(American_football)

Then watch this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6lLg2CFqkQ

after that you can post thoughts about Roger Craig again.

Umm... Craig made the Pro Bowl as a fullback.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
It seems like there is a disagreement about the difference between a tight end playing fullback in the WCO and a more traditional fullback in the WCO.

We all know that a WCO fullback is an offensive weapon, not just a blocker.

Here's my issue with this discussion. Yes, a guy like Byham or Walker can do some of the things that you want from a WCO fullback. We also know that Harbaugh likes his tight ends. So, I can see the argument for Byham or Walker.

Here's the problem I see with the argument....

What many of you are describing is not a WCO fullback. It is an h-back or f-back, depending on the system terminology. This is a hybrid position used to create mismatches in the pass game and block in the run game. There is more to the position, but this is what most are focusing on because it is what they want from a WCO fullback.

Unfortunately, there is one important ingredient missing from this position... the ability to run the football. A WCO fullback needs to be able to run the ball in addition to the other qualities listed. Can Byham or Walker run the football like a running back? I don't really think it's realistic to expect them to do that.

That's why I mentioned Anthony Dixon as a possibility. I think it will be much easier to teach Dixon to lead block than it would be to teach a TE to run the football. I like the other options of signing one of the prototypical WCO fullbacks. We will need another running back anyway and hopefully we finally dump Moran Norris.

Now, I know Harbaugh seems to like his tight ends (that just doesn't sound right ), but that doesn't mean you can't have three or four (or even five if you want to count Brian Jennings ) tight ends on the roster and still have a roster spot for a running back that can play the role of WCO fullback. Why limit yourself?

The CBA issue is obviously going to play a role in what we are able to do this season. We'll have to wait and see how that plays out.

All that said, I trust Harbaugh to make the right decision. Especially if we are going to be keeping Rathman around.

Well, if you think about it, all 3 of our potential WCO FBs have some very good talents and skills, but not the complete package.

Dixon- Decent runner, I'm guessing a decent blocker, too. Not very good in pass catching.
Byham- Very good blocker. Decent pass catcher. I bet he can't run for s**t b/c he fits more of the TE mold.
Walker- I've heard he's not a good blocker. Excellent receiver at the TE/FB position. I don't think he can run either.

So who would you choose? lol. Personally, I'd use a combination of all three. Imagine a formation with Crabtree and VD on the outsides, Walker as the main TE, and Dixon/Byham in the backfield along with Gore in a split backs formation.

Imagine the things that Harbaugh could do with that skillset on the field at one time.

• Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by niner4life21:

Well, if you think about it, all 3 of our potential WCO FBs have some very good talents and skills, but not the complete package.

Dixon- Decent runner, I'm guessing a decent blocker, too. Not very good in pass catching.
Byham- Very good blocker. Decent pass catcher. I bet he can't run for s**t b/c he fits more of the TE mold.
Walker- I've heard he's not a good blocker. Excellent receiver at the TE/FB position. I don't think he can run either.

So who would you choose? lol. Personally, I'd use a combination of all three. Imagine a formation with Crabtree and VD on the outsides, Walker as the main TE, and Dixon/Byham in the backfield along with Gore in a split backs formation.

Imagine the things that Harbaugh could do with that skillset on the field at one time.

I wouldn't pick any of them right now. If I had to choose one to develop, it would be Dixon.

In your set, you just put the weakest blocker off the tackle, took the strongest blocker out of the hashes, and Dixon still can't lead block. I can see the potential there, though.

This is exactly what I meant. Why limit yourself? We can use three tight two back sets as a pass formation. There is a lot of potential on this team.

Now we have Harbaugh.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by niner4life21:

I wouldn't pick any of them right now. If I had to choose one to develop, it would be Dixon.

In your set, you just put the weakest blocker off the tackle, took the strongest blocker out of the hashes, and Dixon still can't lead block. I can see the potential there, though.

This is exactly what I meant. Why limit yourself? We can use three tight two back sets as a pass formation. There is a lot of potential on this team.

Now we have Harbaugh.

Lol thats true. Well, ok: Walker on the outside, with tree opposite to him. VD as the TE, Byham as lead blocker with Gore behind him.

That could be a run formation ( VD, Byham as extra blockers, with Gore as the power runner) Or a pass formation ( Tree, Walker, Gore and VD all being able to catch passes)
HAVILI from USC our new fullback for the future!!! Make it happen Baalke!!
[ Edited by 80849er4life on Jan 15, 2011 at 3:40 PM ]
  • Antix
  • Veteran
DRAFT!!

Walker fumbles too much and Byham should just get better at TE

DRAFT!!! Lot's og good potential FBs out there
Put Sopoaga back there and let him tee off on some linebackers. Rugby players make the best fullbacks.
Share 49ersWebzone