VD recruiting QBs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Envy:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
You guys do know Alex outplayed McNabb this past season don't you?

Hell of a point MAN! McNabb just plain sucked this year, while Alex was below average. I mean if you take a look at the BIG PICTURE, you would obviously take Alex over McNabb. Alex has so many pro bowls, and SBs/playoff appearances, he's obviously in the same category as McNabb...This is a "what have you done for me lately league", and you would be a plain idiot to not take somebody who's been below average his whole career, than to take a guy that had an off year.

McNabb is on the decline. When is the last time you remeber him finishing an entire year? I don't live in the past.

Agreed. I'm not a fan of the latest version of NcNabb.

People are thinking of 5 - 8 years ago when they think of a "good McNabb." My guess is they haven't even watched him the last few years. Honesly Alex is clearly better in 2010.

5-8 yrs ago? in 09 he had a 92 QB rating. I'd have to see Mcnabb have another poor year before I say he's done.

One bad season is just one bad season for now.

A lot of his real good seasons were a long time ago. In recent years he's been injured, benched or played badly. Or some combination of the above. He's really not that good anymore. They almost ran him out of town at the Redskins. And they put him on the bench where he belongs.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran

Hell of a point MAN! McNabb just plain sucked this year, while Alex was below average. I mean if you take a look at the BIG PICTURE, you would obviously take Alex over McNabb. Alex has so many pro bowls, and SBs/playoff appearances, he's obviously in the same category as McNabb...This is a "what have you done for me lately league", and you would be a plain idiot to not take somebody who's been below average his whole career, than to take a guy that had an off year.

McNabb is on the decline. When is the last time you remeber him finishing an entire year? I don't live in the past.

People are thinking of 5 - 8 years ago when they think of a "good McNabb." My guess is they haven't even watched him the last few years. Honesly Alex is clearly better in 2010.

5-8 yrs ago? in 09 he had a 92 QB rating. I'd have to see Mcnabb have another poor year before I say he's done.

A lot of his real good seasons were a long time ago. In recent years he's been injured, benched or played badly. Or some combination of the above. He's really not that good anymore. They almost ran him out of town at the Redskins. And they put him on the bench where he belongs.

Disagree. Besides the one season he played with T.O, his best years came in 08-09.

His earlier years he was stuck throwing to garbage like James Thrash, Todd Pinkston and Freddie Mitchell. He was a lot more mobile back then, but his passing definitely suffered throwing to the three mediocre Wr's I mentioned.

Disagree. Besides the one season he played with T.O, his best years came in 08-09.

His earlier years he was stuck throwing to garbage like James Thrash, Todd Pinkston and Freddie Mitchell. He was a lot more mobile back then, but his passing definitely suffered throwing to the three mediocre Wr's I mentioned.

I'm pretty sure McNab has something left in the tank. With him we should be able to win the NFC west. Regardless he would be a good temporary QB while we develop someone out of the draft.
Originally posted by hateroids84:

I'm pretty sure McNab has something left in the tank. With him we should be able to win the NFC west. Regardless he would be a good temporary QB while we develop someone out of the draft.

he was replaced by REX GROSSMAN because his head coach didnt think he could even finish ONE game! What makes you think he has anything left in the tank?
Originally posted by FGore2121:

he was replaced by REX GROSSMAN because his head coach didnt think he could even finish ONE game! What makes you think he has anything left in the tank?

I don't think having one bad season means he doesn't have anything left in the tank. He was pretty much a pro bowler every year in Philly. He comes to a new team with a new coach/players/etc., and doesn't have a good year.

I'm not saying he's is our future to the super bowl or anything, but he definitely could make some noise getting to the playoffs.
I can not believe that some of you want McNabb, The guy is done. Finished. Move on. This is why Harbaugh and Baalke should no listen to anything the fans have to say. I swear, our fan base has an IQ of 4, collectively.
Originally posted by FGore2121:

I don't think having one bad season means he doesn't have anything left in the tank. He was pretty much a pro bowler every year in Philly. He comes to a new team with a new coach/players/etc., and doesn't have a good year.

I'm not saying he's is our future to the super bowl or anything, but he definitely could make some noise getting to the playoffs.

I believe McNabb is still valuable, even in his last days in philly he was still effective, the only reason he was traded was because Vick was on the rise. With the redksins he was forced to play a new offensive scheme which from what he knew the past 9 or so years which was the WCO. If we can pick him up and keep him healthy he is a dangerous QB, especially with the offensive weapons we had. And don't forget the Redksins had really no receivers and a horrible O-line.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
I can not believe that some of you want McNabb, The guy is done. Finished. Move on. This is why Harbaugh and Baalke should no listen to anything the fans have to say. I swear, our fan base has an IQ of 4, collectively.

Like I said, one bad season. I've seen plenty of guys have one bad season and bounce back.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:

Says the fantastic Kicker Jose Cortez. Don't make me have get Larry Allen to to come and break you off again. Donavan McNabb is better than anyone we have on the roster, that is without question. I don't think he is the future but he is definitely better than both of the Smiffs and Carr.
Let's not forget that the Redskins traded with all the fanfare a 2nd round draft pick for McNabb at the beginning of 2010. If they appeared to be willing to let him go after a single season, and in effect waste a high pick, they clearly didn't believe that McNabb's bad 2010 was an aberration.

Originally posted by Faceless:
Originally posted by fly15:
M. Flynn pls

Flynn... wtf are u serious>? this is the guy u want to lead the 2011 San Francisco 49ers?

To many 49ers fans, the choice is anyone but Smith. Since the FA pool is so poor, any name remotely possible has to be dredged up.
Originally posted by RonRon:
Originally posted by SoCal9ers:
Orton>McNabb
Kolb>Orton

sooo i'll take Kolb if the price is right. If not, then my second choice would be Orton.

Philly is asking for 2 first rounders for Kolb,, not worth it

Kolb is not worth even a 1st round pick. In 2010 he rarely looked good in crunch time.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
lol. when will you pro McChoke guys get it? he is not accurate enough to be the starting QB for Harbaugh's offense. his leadership skills are questionable, too.

it's not gonna happen.
Originally posted by Sims84:
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by susweel:
M. Flynn pls

One decent game don't mean he can play.

well, I been waiting for 6 yrs for a decent one.....

Smith looked pretty good in the game against the Saints, albeit in a losing one.

1 TD and 2 INT's (inside the Saints 30 yard line) is pretty good? Alex made SOME plays in that game but let's not get carried away here people.

Mcnabb had an off year as a lot of QB's do. Washington brought in like 5 different RB's to start the season and ended up with NONE OF THEM by the end of season except Torrain and in any offense, the run game is very important. I've never been a fan of Mcnabb because I thought he has been "non-clutch" his entire career and was benefited in playing in Andy Reid's system who also had Detmer look good at times, Feeley look good at times, and now Michael Vick, the NFL MVP (should be) playing the best ball EVER but to say "no thanks" to Mcnabb just because Alex had a better year this year is dumb.

I would give Mcnabb a shot with our talent and playing in our division. They had an uphill climb from the jump in the NFC East and Mcnabb has actually beat GOOD teams so I would take Mcnabb anyday of the week over Alex but I think it would be a toss up between him and Orton. I'm not quite sold on Kolb because he had it made in Philly (Jackson, Maclin, Mccoy and one of the best 3rd down receivers Avant) and still didn't impress me so I'd have to pass on Kolb.

Also, whoever Harbaugh chooses, I will support because I think we will get even more talent over the offseason and with the NFC Wests "best team" winning that 1st playoff game, they will now have to pick even later in the draft so they better hope for some FA aquisitions or I see them as a 8 maybe 9 win team at the most so AS USUAL, the division will be there for the taking.

Sometimes you need to look beyond the stats. In the Saints game, Smith committed some errors, but he DID look good. One interception to Gore was bad, but the one really wasn't horrible.

McNabb? You probably have seen some of my posts where I argued that the Redskins are willing to waste a 2nd round pick by letting McNabb go. That means alot, especially with Shanahan making the decision.

I don't really care what QB the 49ers go with next season because I believe that it's a rebuilding season anyway. I think Smith is gone anyway.
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
Originally posted by Sims84:
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by susweel:
M. Flynn pls

One decent game don't mean he can play.

well, I been waiting for 6 yrs for a decent one.....

Smith looked pretty good in the game against the Saints, albeit in a losing one.

1 TD and 2 INT's (inside the Saints 30 yard line) is pretty good? Alex made SOME plays in that game but let's not get carried away here people.

Mcnabb had an off year as a lot of QB's do. Washington brought in like 5 different RB's to start the season and ended up with NONE OF THEM by the end of season except Torrain and in any offense, the run game is very important. I've never been a fan of Mcnabb because I thought he has been "non-clutch" his entire career and was benefited in playing in Andy Reid's system who also had Detmer look good at times, Feeley look good at times, and now Michael Vick, the NFL MVP (should be) playing the best ball EVER but to say "no thanks" to Mcnabb just because Alex had a better year this year is dumb.

I would give Mcnabb a shot with our talent and playing in our division. They had an uphill climb from the jump in the NFC East and Mcnabb has actually beat GOOD teams so I would take Mcnabb anyday of the week over Alex but I think it would be a toss up between him and Orton. I'm not quite sold on Kolb because he had it made in Philly (Jackson, Maclin, Mccoy and one of the best 3rd down receivers Avant) and still didn't impress me so I'd have to pass on Kolb.

Also, whoever Harbaugh chooses, I will support because I think we will get even more talent over the offseason and with the NFC Wests "best team" winning that 1st playoff game, they will now have to pick even later in the draft so they better hope for some FA aquisitions or I see them as a 8 maybe 9 win team at the most so AS USUAL, the division will be there for the taking.

As dysfunctional as the Redskins have been through the years, it's hard for any QB to have success there. UNTIL Shanahan gets everything organized, it will remain so.

Actually, I would prefer a Carson Palmer but McNabb would be OK for a couple of years while they groom a new or an upcoming QB. With the existing talent the 49er's have, they should do very well with one of these QB's.

The problem with McNabb playing for the Redskins was beyond the state of the team. Reportedly he struggled in learning the nuances of the offensive schemes run by the Shanahan family. Coupled that with his not being conditioned well (one big reason why Shanahan yanked him in favor of Grossman), it looks like he is on the downward trajectory of his career. If he is free and does not ask for much money, sure sign him, but for $13 million /year? No way.
Share 49ersWebzone